Phelps -- Now a Real Homie

8/21/2008 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Phelps has plunked down $1.69 million for a condo on the waterfront in Baltimore, Md. Here's the headline -- practicing in that pool ain't gonna win him any medals.

His new pad is 4,080 sq. ft. (check out the model in the photos). The complex has a rooftop terrace, a private screening room, a state of the art gym, a clubhouse with pool tables.

If you're wondering where the money came from, Phelps was projected to earn between three and five mil this year even before the gold.

kamo

I bet The Crescent is THRILLED about all of this publicity! The condo building (which was finally turned into luxury apartments after there were NO sales) is barely at 50% and I think he bought one of the 2 townhomes that have sold out of, like, 8 or 9. This should boost their business quite a bit.

Anyway, happy to have him in Fells Point!

BK

Listed as an absentee owner on the tax record.. the mailing address is back to pinnacle drive in McLean near where his father works

Perplexed

Totally amazing, and he earned every bit of it by himself.

Steve

Baltimore? Seriously...Baltimore...someone paid a million bucks for something in...Baltimore? he is hot though...does he have a girlfriend or is she a beard?

christopher

He has worked so hard, he deserves any luxury he can afford. Congrats on the new home.

suki

the guy grew up in baltimore.
his family is there.
and that's where he's going to be training.
might as well live where you train...

MGM KID

His family is here, Flo...ease up on ole' Baltimore, sweetheart

What?

Enjoy, you deserve it for a lifetime of sacrifice and commitment to the sport. We are so proud of you. You alone will revive the sport.......and get kids in the pools and excited about swimming........ Well done!

Jojo

Wow!! Talk about cheap!! 1.69 million for a 4800 sq. foot condo on the waterfront... in the city!!!??

In vancouver (Canada), that kind of place would cost about 7 - 10 million!!! Talk about cheap... I think I'm gonna move.

YumYum

Silly TMZ- you KNOW what he'll be practicing in that pool!

CELEBS HAS NO COMMON SENSE OR DO THEY PAY IN FULL CASH

he should of brought a home on the river , very nice .

Va is much better , Tyson's Corner , leesburg , Reston ,
especially Ashburn , va , there's alot of towns to live in
Va ..... Oh Great Falls Va is nice , million dollar homes
there too . If I had my choice , I would live in Ashburn
or Great Falls on acres.

Or he could of lived in Chevy Chase , Georgetown .
very expensive towns.

M. Trudeau

Fame has gone to his head. He should be investing his money for when he is just another legend.
Noone needs all that excess. He should share some of his wealth & talent with the street kids who need guidence

Jason

Wow, it's a surprisingly modest place. I'm impressed he didn't go overboard with a home purchase—oh wait, that was the rest of the saps who bought overpriced homes in the last few years and are now in foreclosure.

Kat

I need to move to Baltimore if that place only costs $1.69 million!!!

Emerson

Sadly much of downtown Baltimore is not great, which is a shame because there's a lot of beautiful old row homes that would sell for a mint elsewhere. Baltimore's only 30 minutes away from DC and it's not a bad drive to NYC. If I lived back east again I'd choose Northern Virginia, but that whole area is filled with great places to live. Stay on the I-95 corridor and you can't lose.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments