Strippers Claim They're Getting Screwed

9/16/2008 2:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Two strippers have filed a class action lawsuit against several strip clubs, alleging they'd do better financially picking grapes in a field.

Demetria Ann Leshay and Roxanne Roberts allege they're basically working for free, dancing at Starz, First King, and King Henry VIII. They claim they're essentially working for tips, and part of that gets kicked back to management. The lawsuit alleges they're not even getting minimum wage. To add insult to injury, they're required to work for five hours at a time without a meal break. Oh, the humanity.

One thing the clubs do pay for: An L.A. county "sheriff's permit" for each girl to bump and grind. You need a sheriff's permit to strip?

Then there's this: The lawyer for the strippers cite a court case, ruling that dancers can be considered full-time employees even though they're "transient" and "lacked specialized skills." Patrons would beg to differ.

helen

okay, all you are saying is that YOU SUCK at being strippers. the strip joints like to keep their stages full if they can of course. the girls making all the money are the goodlooking ones that are good at it. can't believe you went public with a law suit that basically says you suck and can't even make enough tips to pay management.

Karen

What a disgusting "job." Most of these bimbos have other jobs on the side if you get my meaning. Yuk.

Karen

You're trying to tell me that all of the strip joints around don't pay anything? Well, why do you stay then? You might as well hook, you're just about one step away from it anyways.....

JANE DOE

Cynthia #14,
Thanks for reading and good to see another Nurse likes gossip!
I know I after 20+ years nursing I could NOT dance/strip for 5 straight hours!
I don't agree with what They do for a living, but that's not up to Me!

JANE DOE

Don't mix Me Up and My Views with another LALA written Lala #9!
I would never judge a woman choice to earn money especially if it is to go to College like #12 Kate-Congrats!!

BronzedBum

Dare I say...I stripped, and made damn good money. I think theres a little more to the girls story.

Tony

Some Stripclubs are slow and some days they maybe make $100 in one day.
After a $30 house fee, a $10 DJ fee, a $5 "mom in back room" fee.
and you are left with $55 for 8 hours of work.

And if your are not top 5 best looking girls in the club you may make $60 and walk home with $15, that is $2 hour.

DEE DUB

This is a respectable job they are not stealing selling drugs or doing anything wrong. They are entertainers. They have the right to make money just like everyone else. What they do behind closed doors is there business not the club. The club should break bread with the dancers. I have been to each club numerous times and honestly that is hard work to go and dance like they do for a dollar. If all else fails with the law suit have private parties for now until you are able to open your own club. Screw the owners of these stip club joints. Charge $9.00 a beer. Twenty dollars after seven. Two drink minimum. I can go on and on about the owners. Wise up ladies we have internet with groups it will be easy to get the word out if you have private parties. Hire the best security you can get for your money. Make rules of do's and don'ts and be firm. Don't give in from your rules because as soon as you do you will lose control. I hope the girls get some type of satisfaction from the law suit. It is hard work being a stripper. Take it from someone who owned a club back when it was the thing to do at the time.

Deport All Illegals

OCD: I had student loans but there were no loans for housing, food, clothes, medical, etc. I was out on my own at the age of 18, pretty much 5 months after graduating HS. I have plenty of self-respect and dignity. I got paid hundreds of dollars to dance for a few hours a night, a few days of the week while maintaining a 3.85 GPA. Unfortunately, there are many girls who get sucked into the lifestyle of drugs and other things, but there is a small minority, like myself, that do not and go on to lead happy and successful lives. I've been asked many times would I support my own daughter if she decided to do it...the difference is she won't have to. I did what I had to do and I don't regret a day of it.

Mario

"The one stop shop for the latest celebrities news!" TMZ you'r lame. Get into some other business

tragedytragedy

It's times like these I'd like to use a classic Family Guy quote that perfectly sums up strippers:

Peter talking to the camera: ...but I'll tell you what's not cool--killing strippers. Strippers are people too; naked people who may be willing to pleasure you for a price you negotiate later behind the curtain of a VIP room. Besides, there's no reason to kill them, 'cause most of them are already dead inside...Good night, folks!

OCD

To # 25 Kate

If there was absolutely no way for me to feed my children, I'd do $20 BJ's in the back of a strip club. That is not a jab and is said in absolute honesty. But you had better believe that I would have filled out every application at McDonalds, every 7/11 and Wal-Mart in town before I did.

Deport All Illegals

You do what you have to do to survive. I do not pass judgment on people by name calling or thinking I am somehow above them because I would never dream of doing what they did. Not all strippers are drug addicted whores. The same as not every black man likes rap music and not every white man can't dance. Bottom line like it or not, being a stripper is a legal occupation in this country and as such strippers have every right to be treated and protected equally as any other worker in any other industry. So if they are being taken advantage of, they should have every protection and rights afforded under the law provided to any other worker in any other industry.

Mika

You know... all my time in college, I've never met a single stripper.

Is "I'm paying for college" stripper code for "I'm a cokehead"?

csj

what's wrong with picking grapes?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments