Green with Envy

9/23/2008 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The 62-year-old resurfaced at a Chicago concert recently, looking shady.
Al Green

In 1974, Green's girlfriend doused him with a pan of boiling hot grits while he was showering causing third-degree burns on Green's back, stomach and arms. She then shot and killed herself with Al's gun. He subsequently became a pastor at the Full Gospel Tabernacle in Memphis.

Green released a new album in May, which contains tracks with John Legend and Corinne Bailey Rae.

COMMENTS

BabyGirl

He's aged fairly well.

Liz

Ok, now I can get on with my day! I adore Al green and his music. If I am ever felling blue just put on a little Al Green and I have a whole new outlook!!!!!!!!!! He is singing at the top of his lungs in my office right now.

Thanks TMZ.

Liz

that would be "feeling" for the spelling police!

ME

thats an interesting story, but kind of fishy don't ya think?
maybe he killed his girlfriend and he burned himself with the grits to make it look like she did it and she killed hersefl?????

moe

the hot grits incident was big news in memphis--i remember it well!

Melissa

I FREAKIN LOVE THIS GUY!! THE KING OF SOUL!! AND MASSIVE VELVET PIMP HATS! HE IS SOOO BADASS!!

Love and Happiness

Why would any idiot say he killed his girlfriend and burned him self??? What a moron!! Get your facts straight!! he has ALWAYS been the best soul singer of all time. :)

ME

#7...people will say and do anything to get away with murder. just because some think he is a great singer dosen't mean he isn't capable of doing wrong. just saying....you never know
OH and you are the MORON!!!!!!!!!!

Grace

He's the best.

Spongebob

No one ever even suspected that he killed that woman or that she didn't burn him with grits. But if you black and some broad ends up dead, you probably did it! Huh, TEX.

Al better watch out because there is no statue of limitation on being black and having a dead broad burn you with grits.

Tazandra

I love Al Green....he's the best

TB

Please don't comment on the killing if you know nothing about that story. He did not kill that woman and it was never suspected that he did. Some of you commenting probably never even heard of him until today, but yet you got him pinned as a murder.

TB

Deja Jones

Perhaps he did kill her.....ANGER can make you come out of character. He would have also been in a boatload of pain. I HEARD IT HURTS!!!! The possibilities are endless.............I LOVE AL GREEN! (My dad would play his records ALL the time)

jc

I love Al Green. He looks great.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments