TV Preacher Leads TMZ to "Jesus"

10/17/2008 3:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Our photog had a real religious experience yesterday in NYC -- when he found televangelist Joel Osteen ... and then JC himself!
Joel & JC: Click to watch
And is it us, or does the modern day Jesus look a helluva lot like Viggo Mortensen?

Sarah

You should NEVER mock God, or the power of the Holy Spirit!!!

disgusted

Our family watches their show and enjoy it. We did go see him in Chicago a few years back at one the larger arenas. Our tickets were $10.00 each. We (myself and three teenagers) throughly enjoyed his show. He has an incredible gospel singing group and the band was fantastic!! We are baptized Catholic but not big believers in the religion anymore. I've never sent money to them and never felt pressured to do so. Also, my mother, who has moderate dementia, will sit and listen to him speak and is completely mesmerized by him. Just give it a try before you go bashing someone you have never even heard speak before.

jenna h

He does NOT require you to pay to see him preach are you kidding? I live in houston and attend church there, and in fact, it is very free. Lakewood actually has free counseling, free marriage counseling, free day care, and more. so maybe you should find out your facts before you criticize people.

.:Loki 4Ever:.

viggofan

Well, I don't know much about Joel but have seen stills from the upcoming Viggo film called "The Road" and can verify that he looks exactly like this in the photos. Look it up on Google....The pants, shoes, beard, hair and brown cape is EXACTLY like what Viggo wears in the film.....maybe he was just using his wardrobe from the film for a little pre-Halloween fun?

nofan

Why all the fear and hate for a single man who donates more to the poor than we ever will? He does not live in a mansion, nor does he claim to be anything other than what he is. I have taken the time to research the claims I have seen before against him. I have found no buying of farms in other countries to form a cult, no large supply of kool aide, no investigation for welfare fraud. Mr.Olsteen is like any other leader of a church. He opens the door, you are free(really you are not charged) to enter and hear his message. At any time, you are free to leave. The station I receive his program on, never shows a plea for funds. I know all his books end up on the bestseller lists bringing in millions. These are sold on the free market. We buy them of our own free will. He does not frighten me, In this world, I am drawn to public figures who walk the talk. I never put my faith in what otherrs say, but I do watch what they do. In every time of disaster in our city, there in the middle of the help is Mr. Olsteen and Lakewood church. Not on the front page of the paper, but standing in the crowd helping the people. TV. hosts can call it a crutch for the weak, kool aide for the uneducated, or whateverr they like. The hate expressed on this site ,is what we have been led to believe is the majority opinion in America. Don't disagree with our government, hate it, don"t disagree with candidates, hate them. Because we have been let down by public figurres, judge them all the same. I can listen to Jews, Catholics, Muslims, or any beliefs without shouting them down and using filthy words to discredit them. If I did that, it says so much more about me than it ever would about them.

Rump

32. You should NEVER mock God, or the power of the Holy Spirit!!!

Posted at 9:57AM on Oct 18th 2008 by Sarah

34. I go to Lakewood every Sunday. I have NEVER paid a dime to walk through the doors. Joel took over the ministry after his father died.. Joel himself was just a camera operator, never knowing or wanting to lead a church. Read your facts before judging someone. He is a soft-spoken, up-lifting Christian man, and shame on all of you for talking bad on him.

Posted at 12:06PM on Oct 18th 2008 by Tmz blows chunks

THANKS to those of you posting the truth!!!! THIS is TRULY a man of God. He is wonderful on TV although I've never been fortunate enough to see him in person. I very much enjoy listening/watching him, and all the naysayers.....just a thought but the end times are coming so you better get right with God.

God Bless You Joel Osteen, Charles Stanley, Creflo Dollar, TD Jakes, and Joyce Meyer as well. They are doing what needs to be done and what most of us would NEVER have the guts to do!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3