Guitarist: Coldplay Cold-Jacked My Song

12/5/2008 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Some badass guitarist is suing Coldplay for allegedly ripping off his song -- and once you hear this guy's Cold-case, it's gonna blow your frickin' mind.

It's all over Coldplay's number one hit "Viva La Vida" -- Joe Satriani says "Viva" is way too similar to his 2004 instrumental, "If I Could Fly." Now, he's asking for "any and all profits" ... and given that "Vida" topped the chart in 36 countries, we could be talking about a lot of money.

Satriani has worked with everyone from Mick Jagger to Deep Purple.

A rep for Coldplay had no comment.

UPDATE
: The lawsuit was settled outside of court -- the terms of the settlement have not been disclosed.

scyren

Thieves!

Buster

Joe Satriani got ripped off. Shame on Coldplay.

Dyna ™

Some guitar geek???? Don't you know who Joe Satriani is??? Who's running TMZ, 6th graders????

Nah

sounds like every 80's song on earth. i don't want to hear it.

NRB

Melody is totally different to me. Not even close.

Dale

Now you have done it TMZ..Joe Satriani is no guitar geek. He is only one of the best guitarists to ever be on this planet.

The Dugger Family

Joe Satriani a GEEK??? TMZ get your act together...you people are clueless. Oh thats right you're into Fall Out Boy....

Rich D

Do your homework TMZ!! Joe Satriani is hardly a "Geek"! One of the most well respected, "ORIGINAL" rock guitarists of all time...........Who are the real geeks......"pseudo-journalists"

Ms_Tell_It_Like_It_Is

Coldplay is in some DEEP doody now - that is obviously jacked from Joe Satriani and anyone that can't hear it is tone deaf.

stacym

Are you kidding me?!?! Joe Satriani a guitar geek? TMZ needs to go to rock school!

WTF

Some guitar geek??!! WTF, TMZ! I'll pretend I didn't read that. Coldplay is over-rated much like Nickelback. I have been saying all along this song is a rip-off of Satriani. so tanks for posting proof. At least your "editors" got something right.

Anita

Coldplay is a lousy band if you ask me.

Edward

#5 is tone-deaf. It's almost identical!

Anita

They should pay this man his royalties. He deserves them. Ripoff artists!

chicodude

Good artists borrow, great artists steal. Is it just me or is that band Coldplayed out? I used to like them but their music is getting redundant. Guess that explains their need to borrow/steal from J.S.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments