Iran Offended By "Wrestler" -- Ayatollah So!

12/14/2008 10:01 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Mickey RourkeIf rising nuclear threat Iran can take offense to a movie like "The Wrestler" -- we should just leave them out of pop culture for good.

The country's media is up in arms over the flick because one of the guys Mickey Rourke wrestles is called "the Ayatollah" -- who waves an Iranian flag before choking Mickey with it.

This isn't anything new: The Telegraph also says "300" ticked off Iran for showing Persians in a bad light -- and accused Hollywood of "psychological warfare."

At least they don't have to deal with Heidi and Spencer.

Nima

I'm Iranian and I'm not offended. Maybe because it's not Iran's flag. This is the Islamic govenment flag he torn apart. I was flattered actually.

tbt

Lets make a factual movie about the USS Liberty and see who gets upset then.

Barfalufugus

I wish someone would choke him, period. Movie or no movie.

Hawkeye

Wow. Hard to believe the Iranian government doesn't have a sense of humor.

The Ayatollah always looked like a fun guy.

mrmoe

Mickey Rourke sucks

Ed

I guess they never saw the IRON SHIEK or THE SHIEK do that with their flag.... OH WELL DEAL WITH IT...

PolarBear

Never forget that Iran holds the potential to be one of the most civilized and accomplished socities, it's in its past and its hiding underneath the pathetic maggots running their current government and extremist religious influence. It's an old and different culture and they certainly don't need to imitate the current US culture. Iran needs a cultural revolution to purge itself of its overburden of extremist insanity. It needs to liberate and nourish it's potential, which the current regime has no idea how to handle.

SalppyJones

Mickey Rourke DOES NOT suck and should win his first oscar.

CriticXtreme

Isn't this movie "Rocky" in reverse?

CriticXtreme

How about he do a moviie called "Why I destroyed myself getting Multiple Plastic Surgeries"

sandyladee

I agree with polar bear. There is alot of ignorance in the American people, that is a shame. There is also alot of conflict between Iranian regime and the people. Its unfortunate, but I pray that it will someday be overcomed.

Leo

If the people of Iran truly want to be rid of their vile government then they must start with dismantling the radical Islamists and reject the fanatics within their religion. With their silence they tacitly approve the murderers' actions - Islam must embrace a renaissance or it will continue its plunge into the dark abyss of hate (and that's where Iran and their Arab cousins will dwell if they don't ditch the evil extremists).

Kermanshan

Well first of all I am Iranian and it does offend me with the flag part with 300 it was just a depiction from a graphic novel of frank millers work which sucked nothing like his work on batman

people are saying Iranians are too sensitive but what about Jews and the passion of the christ they were demonizing that movie for showing jews as money drolling snakes who sold out jesus for a few gold coins and ugly with curly hair im sure nobody was saying the Jewish community was wrong about standing up to a deplorable depiction of them
and i cant speak for all Iranians but this offends me

Ken

Mickey Rourke is the MAN........ Watch your mouth Son!!!!

1949 days ago

mrmoe

No, he sucks..and he will not win an Oscar...ever

1949 days ago