Peter Falk's Daughter: My Dad Has Alzheimer's

12/16/2008 12:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The daughter of Hollywood legend Peter Falk says her father is no longer competent to run his own life because he suffers from Alzheimer's disease and dementia.

Catherine Falk filed legal papers in L.A. County Superior Court claiming her father "requires full-time custodial care for his health and safety."

In the docs, Catherine claims she is worried her father "can easily be deceived into transferring away property" and believes a conservatorship will protect Peter from "fraud or undue influence."

A hearing on the matter is set for next month. Calls to Falk's reps were not returned.

Stephen

Peter Falk has been so dear to our hearts. Columbo will always entertain people and also the other great work that he has done. He can be proud of that. The entire Falk family can be. However, only members of the family, such as his courageous daughter can protect someone who is afflicted with a catastrophic disease that strikes an elderly family member. Not many heads of the household get their affairs in order in time. Others have to fight for that to happen. It is the right fight but it has to be unselfishly done. The legal system is overwhelmed with cases where they just cannot tell who's right and who's wrong. If Mr. Falk is not able to handle his affairs, his heirs must take over. Hopefully, his daughter will do the right things. We all are saddened by this news because Peter Falk is a national treasure.

JAJ

Peter Falk,. the most wonderful actor of his time. Right now on the Hallmark Channel you can all see him in all the Christmas movies he has made. I haven't missed any of them. I watch them every year. He is a wonderful person.
My heart goes out to his family. My dad had Alzheimers we need more research for this terrible disease. My dad at one time was the VP of a company.
Best wishes for his family we will keep your dad in our prayers. We will pray for him to have a safe journey.

Maralyn

Alzheimer's is nothing to joke about. It doesn't matter who in Peter Falk's family applies for conservatorship as long as they are honestly taking care of him and have his best interests at heart. I took care of my aunt thru Parkinsons and Alzheimer's and it is very depressing to watch a once active person lose it all. I ended up making all financial decisions, health decisions and whether she would stay at home or go to a home. Fortunately, I was able to keep her at home with help until the final 3 days, when she was sent to a hospice. You have to look hard and deep to take care of a very sick person. It wears on the caregiver very much. Watching someone you love lose all memory, of even the way how to eat, dress and any minor thing is a tragedy. I wish the Falk family all good luck with Peter. He was a wonderfu actor and I never really heard a bad word about him.

Mark

I lost someone I truly loved to Alzheimer's........ it was a long, torturous, painful journey......... I have nothing but sincere sympathy for Mr. Falk's daughter and wish both him and her the best.

anonymous

Sad. I loved the show, "Columbo". I still watch the Columbo rereun. He is a good actor.

mckinney

I grew up with Columbo, but my favorite thing he EVER did was Princess Bride! Best Wishes to him and his family

Greg

Let's not forget his turn as a dictator bearing a strange resemblence to Fidel Castro in the Twilight Zone. My heart goes out to his family and I wish them and Mr. Falk all the best. As was stated above, I've never heard a bad word about him. He truly seemed like agenuinely nice man.

ida

i feel sorry for his daughter as i had a relative that had what he has so i know how it is, we will be praying for him he was a good actor one of my favorites.

Sadsack

I am sorry to hear of this. It just made me cry. Good luck to the family and especially to Peter himself. Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

fan

I am a huge fan of Mr. Falk's. He has had an amazing career. My prayers and best wishes to him and his family.

Steve Orpin

Peter Falk made an unforgettable impact on Seventies Tv.The Columbo shows were clever,well written dramas with good plots,acting and of course his unique portrayal.The ironic thing is that to view them now,the whole sets and dress are very dated,except for Columbo himself who remains timeless in his rumpled clothes and mac...

I trust the judge takes an overall view of Peters affairs,as they are a straight jacket for the individual.
May he be blessed with safety and security,as he blessed us with his gift of superb acting and timing.

rpdjr68

God Bless Him and His Family! May he live on forever! I Know he will in my mind..

katie

i am 63 yrs old and have the onset of alzheimers it is horrible it runs in my family i lost my motther 3 yrs ago while taking care of her and my youngest aunt moms sis 1 mo ago i feel so bad for catherine and what she is going to have to go through but you will get through it i loved peter falk he had to be one of my favorite actors and people. catherine needs prayers not criticism

Jean

Alzheimers is a terrible mind robbing thing, my mother has it. She went from a vital vibrant person to a child like helpless soul. incapable of thinking rationally or caring for her most basic of needs. My heart goes out to the Falk family I know what they are going through. We must find a cure.

MIKE

I THINK THIS IS WHAT FRUSTRATES ME ABOUT OUR GOVERNMENT....INSTEAD OF TAKING CARE OF THE WORLD, LET USE THE MONEY FOR RESEARCH TO STOP THESE HORRIBLE DISEASES AMERICANS FACE...IT'S ONE THING TO HELP A COUNTRY, BUT SHOULD WE DO IT FOREVER AS THOUGH THEY ARE ONE OF OUR STATES ?? IT'S TIME TO SAY NO.