Ed McMahon Struggles for Survival

3/2/2009 2:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ed McmahonEd McMahon is in bad shape in ICU with pneumonia, bone cancer, and other medical problems. There are reports Ed only has days left. Here's a statement we just got from Ed's publicist, Howard Bragman. Take it at face value or read between the lines.

"I'm not a medical doctor, I'm a spin doctor, so I'm not able to give a diagnosis here. But, what I can tell you is this: I've seen many people come up to Ed over the years and say, 'You were a Marine.' Ed would look them in the eye and say, 'I AM a Marine.' What that means for his current medical challenges is the same thing it's meant for every challenge he's ever faced in life. It means he's a fighter -- not a quitter. It means he's confronting it head-on with strength, courage and dignity. I would ask that those who care about Ed say a prayer, remain hopeful and send their good wishes, because Colonel McMahon is still fighting the good fight. Ed, his family, and friends are looking forward to celebrating his 86th birthday Friday."

Jenna

It's okay to let go and pass on, especially at his age. He has led a full and I hope wonderful life. We can't live forever. I hope his family can see this, take comfort from it, and LET HIM GO!

karen

FIRST! I hope he gets better. Poor man

Luke Warmwater

Semper Fi, Ed!

stefano

Ed's a great guy who deserves a salute.

Julie

Entertainment Tonight has him dead already!!! I was watching tv this morning and a commercial came on for ET and it was just awful!! Boycott ET!!!

Aileen

Many years ago, Ed and his wife we refinancing and I had the privilege of speaking with him and his wife. I worked at a call center and it just happen I was lucky to get them on the phone when they called in. At first I did not believe it. They were really nice people and I wish them both nothing but luck and prayers.

Aileen

Larry

Ed....I love ya man...You and Johnny were television history. Thank you for your service to your Country in the USMC.
I will never forget you on the couch beside your friend Johnny..HIYOOOOOOOOOO !!!

NRGJAMS.COM

HooRahh!!!!

Bex

Oh give it up, Ed! You gotta die sometime! Jeesh!

Anyom

SHUT UP *** JULIE *** YOU'RE A LOOSER.

Jake

Not long ago, this web site and others were ridiculing Mr McMahon. Sad isn't the hate in the world today. Hate driven by the liberal blogs and the followers of this hate routine. McMahon was a fine actor and served the community well in that role. Too bad the haters can't get straightened out. AS EVEN the haters will find out, death eventually catches us all. Hate away and SEE WHAT IT GETS YOU IN THE END.

Ramond

Time to let go Ed...your struggles are almost over and I hope that he is not remembered for Oweing, Suing, Eviction, Elderly Malpracted, Tax Liens and last being Broke. He was just fortunate that some true friends stepped up to the plate during his last days. Kutos

Katie

Pull the vent and let this man die with some dignity surrounded by those who love him. He will NEVER be able to be weaned from the vent and he would NEVER want to live trached/ vented and suffering as a bump in a bed. We treat our sick animals better than our sick loved ones. Let him die now and save him a horrible "life" of torture.

Crabby

Ah, the good old days when Gentiles got late night comedy shows.

Johnny's saving a seat for ya bud.

Joy Sigle

SEMPER FI DEVIL DOG!!!! That was a very eliquent statement from his rep. Best wishes Ed!! You have been a very important part of television for many years and we all love you!! P.S. You never brounght me my Million Dollar PCH check...LOL.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments