Swine Flu -- The '70s Edition

4/29/2009 6:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Check out these swine flu commercials from 1976 -- you'll think twice before you go outside, kiss your wife or breathe again.

maggie

Phew, glad to see its not the first time around

Canadian

FIRST!

GG

Wow! We aren't prepared at all!!

kass

SO WHERE IS THIS SWIN FLU SHOT NOW????????IF THEY HAD IT IN 1976 WHY AREN'T WE GETTING IT NOW???????????????????????????????DOSE IT EXSIST? ANWERS PPL

Creeder

Well, I managed to live through it. Didn't he vaccine they came up with actually end up killing a bunch of people? Wash your hands, people!

DANCEorDIE

hahahahahahaahahaha!!!
that was hilarious. "Betty died...but before she died she gave it to..."

maggie

Yeh it was pretty funny. So cheerful LOL

Melissa

The 70's swine flu killed one American, the vaccination killed 30+ people. I want a vaccination, but I want a safe, well-tested one.

jandean61

WHERES THE BEEF ?

jandean61

Y IS THE FLU ONLY KILLING MEXICANS ?????

kass

the 1976 SWINE FLU SHOT WAS ALSO LINKED TO CAUSING 500 cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome AND KILLED 25 PPL.

Victoria

The swine flu was a joke in 1976 and it's an overheated, hysterical joke now.

I can't stand the hysterical media. Get a grip. media - and report on something really worthwhile.

gurlsnguns

Kass, that swine flu shot of '76 was a COMPLETELY different strain than what we have now. This "Swine" flu actually is NOT just swine, it is a combo of a NEVER SEEN BEFORE strain of bird, human virus which they want to be referred as H1N1 which is rapidly evolving and spreading QUICKLY. It was in confined to Mexico and 2 confirmed cases in Texas on Sat, NOW its in at least 10 different States and 11 countries in only 4 days!!! Because this virus is new, no one has natural resistance which means it may be very dangerous., If some people want to believe it will stay mild and its "no big deal," or this is being over-hyped by WHO and CDC, its that cavalier attitude that will continue to spread this virus. Those same people don't wash their hands or insist on going out even when they don't feel well I ask anyone who feels that WHO and CDC are over-hyping this "imminent pandemic," should they not inform us so we can make intelligent decisions? Would that make you happy? Because if they didn't let us know exactly what was going on, people like that would be the first to jump on the band wagon of "They didn't warn us!" Ugh, dammed if you do, dammed if you don't......

whynot

Hopefully this flu will get the real swine....oprah.

Mom of 3

This flu is different then the one from the 70's. that should would not work. I remember these commercials! I must be getting old.
But my problem is this strain will not go away quickly, due to the fact that employers in the US will not be so forgiving to employees calling in sick. If a employee calls in sick they can be fired. Even when feeling ill I know I goto work most of the time, unless I cannot move. Noone is bringing up this problem. Are any employers going to step up and not fire you for calling in sick with this going on?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments