Carrie Prejean -- The Origin of Homophobia

5/7/2009 1:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Carrie PrejeanSo how does a beauty queen turn into the poster child against gay marriage? In the case of Miss California Carrie Prejean, the answer may lie in an ugly divorce that may have cemented her views on gay relationships.

Carrie's parents filed for divorce in 1988 and the divorce and custody fights went on for more than a decade -- it was a divorce filled with homosexual allegations hurled by both sides.

In one of the docs, Carrie's dad describes a confrontation he had with her mom in 1996, in which he recounts an argument in a restaurant parking lot, where "Ms. Prejean accused me, in front of our daughter, of homosexuality."

The papers also quote a court-appointed doctor who said "The mother questioned [within hearing of the girls] whether [her father] was a homosexual or had a homosexual roommate."

Carrie's mom says the "gay" allegations went both ways. In court papers dated May 16, 2000, a report from the court-appointed counselor says "The mother also alleges the father told the girls their stepfather was gay, that all men with mustaches are gay." The father's response: "The father acknowledges talking with the girls about the stepfather's brother being gay, not the stepfather."

Launch PhotosAlso in the docs -- a handwritten letter from Carrie's older sister, in which she recounts a weekend stay with her dad: "One time my sister & I went in the hallway of my dad's apartment, & his roommate's door was open all the way & we saw [the roommate] in bed with another man. I don't think it's right for my sister & I to have to live that way."

So does Carrie believe gays broke up her parents' marriage? We called her rep ... no comment so far. We could not reach Carrie's dad for comment.

For the record, there are other allegations -- absolutely hideous -- in the divorce and custody papers -- which we have elected not to publish.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

El Mexicutioner

I personally could care less if gays and lesbians were allowed to get married. With that being said, I think its kind of lame how people are attacking this girl for answering a question honestly. Also, since California voters did vote down gay marriage, she is representative of the states voters' overall opinion on the matter. Pretty funny how such a great lack of tolerance is shown towards her opinion when tolerance is demanded from her.

Also funny is how the Miss California board would even consider taking action against Prejean's due to her pics considering Shanna Moakler, Co-Executive Director of the Miss California Organization, has herself posed nude for Playboy in December 2001. Yeah it was after her beauty pageant days, but still pretty hypocritical to pass judgment on someone who's showing a lot less and wasn't PAID to pose nude.

Bottom line: she is beauty pageant contestant, not a "role model", not a lawmaker. People need to get over this like yesterday.

jeezlouise

Ridiculous! I believe that gay people can be gay- I dont believe that gays should have some kind of "rights" just because they have sex with the same sex. Our nation does not have to buy into the bullying and harassment just because we dont agree. F U Perez, you showed just how low class you and your gay brothers really are. Go be gay- and shut up about it. Its gross and thats how a majority feels about it- So, the majority rules. Its just gross.

UptownRazorback

Trash the b&tch... And if anyone who doesn't like it, remember, TMZ and all other Hollywood Gossip sites are known for trashy news. If you don't like it, stay off the sites. But you guys love it no matter what.

capfanforsure

I don't understand the headline "homophobia". Not endorsing gay marriage does not make one a homophobic. Get it together TMZ. Do some homework.

puhllleeez

She seriously needs to just STFU and go away.

1938 days ago

THese sternies are mean people who have no feelings

Ah yes a sad case of girl meets gay. So young to be so feared.

roo

I quit going to Perez Hilton's site because of his nastiness about this woman. Now I'm finding it here. Get a clue: Not everyone is pro-gay marriage and that doesn't make them a monster. If TMZ starts beating this same issue in the same manner, I'm quitting this site as well. Frankly, if I can't have an opposing point of view without being bullied over it, then the fun is gone and there is no reason to be here. If I wanted to read political sites, I'd go to them. Leave it alone already!

LOKI

SEE, another f*#ked up childhood.

It comes back in the end......no gay joke intended.

LOKI

Crabby

TMZ chose not to publish other details? Well, we know this wasn't because of class. Harvey just didn't want to get sued!

rick

haha so she must have grown her values from when she took those pics to now.
She just needs to fade away now and go back to her home were the people think dinosours were on the earth 10,000 years ago and races shouldn't mix

MojoCeltica

Aw for cryin' out loud. Why won't they leave this girl alone?

Black Teef

Does this mean she doesn't like it up the corn hole?

roo

I've written a note to TMZ telling them of my dissatisfaction with their treatment of this issue. I have also told them (quite truthfully) that I will quit coming to this site if they keep on in this vein. If others feel as I do, I suggest that they also jot an email to TMZ (go to the bottom of the page for contact information.) Businesses need to know when people approve or disapprove of their practices and it's our responsibility to tell them when we are/aren't satisfied.

Q

Ok, so she had an opinion, that was partially based on her religious beliefs and maybe partially based on her childhood and her parents being A*holes in a bitter divorce and now she's an evil bigot for it. Spectacular. As the Dude says "That's just like, your opinion, man." As 'they' say "Opinions are like Arseholes, everybody has one." Too bad these days some people are offended at pretty much everything. Honestly I'm surprised some freak didn't try to sue her for it.

Can't we all just get along.

*Note to self: Do not discuss Religion or Politics with family or friends. Or on live television. Someone is bound to get pissed off.

The Gooze

TMZ's YELLOW JOURNALISM AT THIS JUNCTURE IS SIMPLY ANOTHER CHARACTER ASSASINATION DUE TO LACK OF OTHER NEWSWORTHY OCCURENCES. MAYBE SOMEBODY ON STAFF HAS A CONFLICT OF INTEREST IN REPORTING DUE TO SUPPORTING A TIRED CAUSE.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments