Williams -- Being 'Miss Anything' Is a Setback

5/21/2009 4:17 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Vanessa Williams and "biblically correct" Miss California have both had their reputations tarnished by nudie pics in their past -- but according to the "Ugly Betty" star, it's pageantry in general that's damaging to one's credibility.

Vanessa Williams: Click to watch
Williams was on "Larry King Live" last night, and when Carrie Prejean's name came up, she blasted beauty pageants as a whole -- calling them a "setback" to anyone trying to be a "serious artist."

just saying

Quit using the I'm a black woman excuse. I'm a white woman and Vanessa makes more money than me I'm sure. BLACK WOMAN?? With those green eyes someone has some explaining to do. JUST SAYING Still love Vanessa

kernel1956

It's pageanty in general that let's everyone know that TMZ neophytes are incapable of spelling or using a spell checker.

Those little red lines under pageanty indicate you should correct the spelling to pageantry. Duh!

NatTurner

So basically jennay, you are telling us that Carolyn Sapp, Shawntel Smith, Debra Moffett and Kaye Lani would have been bigger than Vanessa Williams had they had a scandal when they won Miss America? Bitch please!

Black Teef

I still spank it her Penthouse pix...hot hot hot!

the short chick in the back

Why do we even have these pagaents anymore? Everytime a winner is crowned, you EXPECT the pictures to come rolling out at this point.

Ive pretty much lost all faith in what "Miss America" is supposed to stand for in the first place. Sign of the times, I suppose.

jaye

If you saw Vanessa's photos you know they were WAY more graphic than Miss California's pics. I do agree that pageants need to go, they're from a by gone era.

Hollywood's a Hazard

What the hell do any of you ordinary people know? You wear plastic!

Sad

Why does TMZ ALWAYS post " biblically correct' before Carrie Prejean's name? A couple times, its funny to see, but all the time? Give it a rest already. Just my opinion.

Rob

If she had not had the Miss America title taken away due to the scandal, she would still have been remembered as being the first black Miss America-at the time, this was a major big deal. V got a lot of death threats and had to use a bodyguard during most of her reign. I can't see this sort of thing happening these days in the pageant world, but sadly I'm sure it still does. BTW, when I knew Vanessa, she would always tell me and my friends, "Sucess is the best revenge!"

Cleveland-West_Side

Can't wait when Carrie Prejean's lesbian movie comes out.

bemybaby

Haha, was the beauty pagent a setback for a serious vice presidential candidate? Sarah Palin for President?

Bunny

Vanessa Williams scandal with the intimidating shots was not pretty. She did an amazing thing and pulled herself up despite of it. Her experience with Miss America did notthing but hurt her career.

Most people do not take beauty pageant winners seriously. They think they are people who do not have anything important to do with their time. I get a kick out of watching them, sometimes, but none of my friends will watch them with me. They think they are a mindless joke. For the most part, I guess I do also.

Bunny

I thought Carry Prejean's mother was the lesban - not her mother. I guess Carrie could play her mom in a movie.

LogicalThinking

Chalk up another petty swipe at Miss Cali from the low life's at TMZ. You losers should really move on. You lost, she won, get over it.

Skank

I love Vanessa! She is one talented very beautiful lady! Very smart too!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments