Dave Chappelle

Who Knew I Was Famous?

7/15/2009 3:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dave Chappelle attempted an impromptu stand-up routine outside of the Pioneer Courthouse Square in Portland early this morning -- but Dave's ignorance of his own popularity ended up ruining the show.

For some reason, Chappelle wasn't expecting many people to show up, arriving at around 1 AM carrying a tiny amplifier. Turns out over 4,000 people showed up, according to Oregonlive.com.

Dave ended up leaving at around 2 AM after explaining it was impossible to put on a show under those conditions.

Moni

#10: Dave Chappelle is very sarcastic. Are u sure he wasn't joking. If he wanted to be extra famous and rich, he would have took the $50 million, so I don't think he likes all the fame in my opinion!

MADRADDER

First whores!

16. Hey pacsboy, first off, I am gay, so what about it? Second off, how is "first" pertinent to the subject? It isn't. You contradicted yourself. oooooh SNAP.

Posted at 4:23PM on Jul 15th 2009 by madradder

Umm, yeah madradder. I believe he may have been making a joke when he talked about writing something pertinent. I guess that humor flew over your head.

Dave in PDX

I was there last night for about 3 hours, and it was pretty fun. People were stripping on the Starbucks, blunts and joints were plentiful, and the police did a nice job of not causing a riot. 0 arrests, just 4000 happy people leaving a fun unplanned party on a beautiful summer night.

MADRADDER

Amanda, what would I do without your explanation? Wow, I mean how do I even make it to work? Thanks SO MUCH for your help.

First whores!

it is apparent that you did need her help madradder. why talk smack to her?

Gay Aiken

I figured he could afford a bigger amplifier....

cherryblossoms

he obviously knows hes famous duh but he just wasnt expecting as many people that showed up, no biggie.

WillOTheWisp

Go Dave! Please hurry up and come back to TV! We miss you! You're one of the funniest and smartest humans on this planet. Love you man!

andyman

Dave . . . you're awesome. Saw you in Norfolk a few years back . . . started a little late, ended a bit early. No matter . . . the time in between rocked. Times are tough here in VB. But listening tonight to some clips from your shows . . . the best. Laughing so hard . . . well, forgot how difficult life is these days. Need to laugh more often.

Come on over to Naw f*ck VA . . . we'll have a better amp system. We all need you. Don't ever forget it.

Everyone else . . . please lighten up and enjoy the fact that some "stars" just want to do the right thing.

You can't have it both ways.

Bianca

I hope he makes he way up to Seattle...

Miz in Portland

Leave it to TMZ to frame this story in a negative manner. I was there. It was amazing and people were not disappointed. We were stunned that the rumor Dave was in Portland was true. He didn't expect so many people to turn out and gave it a good try with a sound system that would've worked for 200. Someone actually brought a bigger system but there was no electrical connection available. It was an amazing night.

bea

Dang! I live about ten minutes from Downtown Portland and would have loved to see him!! Too bad the people I follow on twitter and my friends on facebook didn't know about this. I'm not a huge fan but it would have been cool to check it out. I'm glad he came through and showed up at the square. very cool of him.

bea

by the way tmz i hate being the person who points this out but you forgot the t in portland in the tags section. you put porland and it's bugging me. PORTLAND. please fix.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2