Maya Angelou Taken to the Hospital

10/4/2009 12:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Maya AngelouTMZ has learned Maya Angelou was taken to the hospital early Saturday evening.

She was scheduled to be honored at the BraveHeart Awards in Los Angeles.

UPDATE -- Reps for Maya Angelou tell us she was never scheduled to appear at the event last night -- so we have no idea why the organizers told us she was a no-show because she went to the hospital.

Our camera guy on scene was told that Angelou would not be there because she was taken to the hospital. But according to Angelou's people, she never agreed to be there at all and sent a taped acceptance speech in her place.

Angelou is alive and well in St. Louis today and heading off to New York City for the next 2-3 weeks.

californiabullshittin

"Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage." - Maya Angelou

get well soon!!!

Never was a fan of Maya

SianP, you forget that some people aren't lemmings and can form their own opinions. Thankfully, people have differing view points because if they didn't, this world would be a very boring place.

I do hope Maya feels better soon as I don't wish ill on anybody.

Never was a fan of Maya

@ #37. TMZ has the worst white people visiting their site. Most seem to be hill billy racist.

Posted at 2:08AM on Oct 4th 2009 by GO CAVS

Really? Well, since you are the only one to bring up race on this thread, that makes "you" the racist.

AStorm

@Kalvin. FYI, poems don't have to rhyme to be poems. If you haven't been to college, you need to go because you will find out that poems by a lot of other famous poets don't rhyme. Sign up for College English Lit 101 and you will see. It's required anyway to graduate where I went to college. Get your education people because a mind is a terrible thing to waste! Peace.

SmartNseXy

You are in my prayers Maya.

Gayle

Boy some of you people judging from your comments are either were not or did not take English lit. Angelou was required reading for all English classes. Those of you who hate her and every black person is on the level of the pill popper and that weeping entertainer, Glenn Beck, both of which hates blacks and is the reason that division exists in this country these days. This includes the chairman of the RNC, Michael Steele, who is a puppet of both of them and is also Black.

My prayers are for Angelou. She's a treasure of American Literature.

barf

@ Kalvin

Most over-rated woman of the century...her poems didn't even ryhme!!

Posted at 12:07AM on Oct 4th 2009 by Kalvin

I hope that you weren't serious...

Her works have inspired so many people all over the world. Read her books, her poetry, listen to the WORDS...

No wonder America is that doomed. There are too many stupid idiots here! Yikes

Never was a fan of Maya

...And speaking of poor English, # 51 - Gayle, yours is terrible. Please do us all a favor and take a remedial English course post haste. This way the rest of us won't be subjected to your pitiful grammar.

Also, Maya Angelou is NOT required reading for English courses in this country or any other for that matter, and to think she is, is just plain ignorance.

Be that as it may, get well soon Ms. Angelou.

tobie

i am so sorry to hear that ms.maya augelou is not well i hope that she will get better soon she is a good person. get well soon

Mary

Positive thoughts for Maya Angelou!!!! She has been an inspiration to so many and, especially, women.

Trudy

What a genuine American treasure and beloved by so many. She is such an inspiration to women, to all of my college educated friends and to those who enjoy beautiful literature and poetry. I hope that her health is not failing and that she has a speedy recovery.

It is unfortunate that so many people do not like her or won't even give her literature a chance. I understand that it is not for everyone but why bash someone whose work you have not read or simply because she is an older Black woman? I know that Black people are not liked very much in this country, but I'd hope someone could put their hatred aside and recognize her contributions to literature and show some respect for her out of simple human kindness and for her age. I was raised to respect my elders although I know that is no longer a virtue.

I understand how destroying someone else makes some people feel empowered and strong, but they should realize that that type of strength is illusory and will leave them alone later in life. I worked for a medicare plan in the past and you'd be amazed at how many people are so old and alone and very bitter. Their emergency contact would be their doctor or 911. They did not have a single person around who cared if they lived or died.

I am not saying you have to enjoy her actual work. It is definitely difficult to enjoy if you aren't really educated and understand the complexities and variances of poetry (they don't always rhyme). However, it is not difficult to show a tiny bit of common courtesy and respect for another human being who is ill. That's all I am saying.

matchstick

"Contrary to TMZ report, Maya Angelou is fine, at home, & wasn't even in LA Sat nite, said her literary agent Helen Brann" courtesy CNN newsdesk editor Saeed Ahmed

Michael Jackson #1 fan

I am so glad that I had an opputunity to see the face and hear the voice of this great woman at my university 3 years ago. She was up in years back then, and neded assistance to walk on stage. One thing I will never forget at her visit was when she quoted the poem, Never make yourself a victim," and then she went on to quote a poem " People will forget what you say, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel" and those two poems stuck with me until this very day. I will never make myself a victim, and I will never make people feel bad about themselves.

What?

To Grammar Police: Your pompous rely infers knowledge of English Lit requirements at all colleges/universities, particularly HBUs, which I doubt is the case. Your presumptouous claims and assumptions indicate delusion of superiority, which is evident by the name you have chosen. Before "policing" or correcting others, do some research.

Emalee Vinson

you reported she was taken to hospital, not hospitalized. Others are saying this is not so. Why have you not updated to clarify?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments