Irish Boy Bander Dies Suddenly in Spain

10/11/2009 11:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Stephen GatelyStephen Gately, part of the Irish boy band Boyzone, was found dead while on vacation in Spain. He was 33.

The circumstances of his death are still unclear -- the band released a statement that simply said he "tragically died."

Boyzone was one of the biggest acts in Ireland in the 1990s. The band had announced a comeback tour last year.

Gately became something of a gay icon in the U.K. after he announced he was gay 10 years ago. He married his partner Andrew Cowles (Elton John introduced them) in a civil union in 2006.

Bloodnok

I'm waiting to see what he overdosed on, it seems to be the trend this year in music deaths.

shuffler

Sad for him and his friends and family. I would have thought more information than "tragically died" would be available, though.

Seems a bit veiled and secretive to announce a death without details.

Gav

You're a wee bit late with that news TMZ... That's been in the news for 8 or 9 hours at least.

Kooky Fan

It's a shame, this guy was so young. Back in my day you was happy just drinking martinis and screwing broads.

Dem gays are just asking for trouble. My stools come out straighter than this guy.

gog

Maybe he choked on something round ??

whats up Doctors

Just my thoughts, It sounds like they are covering up another drug overdose.C'mon TMZ, Put your Hound Dogs on the trail ,and get the story.

SHEILAB_UK

This is from ENGLAND. People on this site want to make remarks that are not nice. Stephen probably had to much to drink and died on his own vomit or alcohol poisoning. I have never head of him talking drugs.

boyzone fan Dublin

markko

Who?

And Boyzone sounds like the name of either a gay bar or a place where gay pedophiles meet to oogle.

janalal4

8. Stephen was a well respected performer in Ireland. His fans were interested in his talent in music and on stage. This is a very tough time for his family, husband and friends so his fans are concerned about them and Stephen's legacy. We are not interested in contriving sordid details of his death. Foul play and death by suicide have been ruled out and as such "tragically died" suffices as a reasonable statement at this point. It is appropriate to mourne, show respect and not crack jokes at respected deceased. Generally the rest of these comments are distasteful, disrespectful and ignorant.

Posted at 10:54AM on Oct 11th 2009 by boyzone fan Dublin

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/10/11/stephen-gately-boyzone-dead/#comments#ixzz0TdkQz0Qe

Yeah, just ask Michael Jackson. He knows all too well what it's like to be dragged through the mud before all the facts are in.

Fad

Interesting that comments on newspapers and celebrity sites in the UK are *universally* messages of kindness, wishing he rest in peace, etc. This surprised me because I'm hyper-aware of the homophobic comments Murdoch sites (like Sky News inparticular) tend to attract.

So I skip over to an American celeb news site and in stark contrast the first handful of comments are making assumptions about drug use, and already dominated by homophobic remarks.

It says a lot about your culture, and how it dehumanizes celebrity, eh, America?

ES

To: Fad

Making broad assumptions or coming to sweeping conclusions about a culture or an entire country of people just based on less than a dozen comments on a gossip site is rather ignorant to say the least. Your comment says more about you than anyone else here.

JCB

My husbands cousin died a few months ago aged 34. She went to bed and simply didn't wake up. Nothing suspicious. It happens. Just because Stephen was a celebrity and gay does not mean his death was drug related etc. I also didn't realise there were so many homophobes and sick people out there.

Delicious

late news TMZ I heard about this last night

Fad

To es: There are more than a dozen comments on the TMZ website. There are tens of thousands dating back years. They routinely denigrate blacks, females, homosexuals, etc. They routinely treat celebrities like lower life forms, and they routinely salivate for more scandal with which to feed empty lives. Those comments come predominantly from Americans.

What my comment says about me is irrelevant. I have no ego invested in it. I am merely making an observation. While Europeans are today posting nothing but respectful comments even in the feedback sections of fairly right-wing news and celebrity sites normally known for bigoted attitudes - American gossip rags are full of this kind of assumption, denigration and bilge - and what's more, about a celebrity most Americans aren't even acquainted with.

Yes, you're damn right I stand by my comment. American attitude towards minorities and the culture of celebrity couldn't BE more polarized with that of the rest of the world right now. If you don't want to face that, fair enough. I'll provide the shovel so you can finish digging that hole in the sand.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments