« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

GLAAD to Johnson: 'There Is No Excuse'

10/27/2009 4:59 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Larry JohnsonGLAAD has responded to Larry Johnson's apology for hurling a gay slur at reporters yesterday -- and they're hoping the ordeal can be used as an example to other players in the NFL.

President of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation Jarrett Barrios tells TMZ: "Larry Johnson's apology sends an important message that there is no excuse for using anti-gay epithets.

GLAAD is continuing to call on the NFL and the Kansas City Chiefs to use this unfortunate incident as a way to educate and start a dialogue with players and fans regarding the dangers of homophobia in sports
."

As we previously reported, the Kansas City Chiefs have already sidelined Johnson from team activities.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Simone

I'm more news-worthy than this!

John

first!

Erik

So they get mad at him, and then NOT accept his apology.
Talk about causing problems just to cause problems.

PATTY

So I guess there really is no such thing as Freedom of Speech...you can't say Sh!t now-a-days without somebody throwing a bitch fit....

realitybaby

ya know I spent much time and effort making sure my children NEVER heard words like this come out of my mouth or the mouths of any of my friends and relatives - now comes these highly paid athletes who know EVERYONE is listening to their every word and all my hard work is for naught? FREAKING MORON!

homie 1 kanobe

I can't TAKE any Organization Serious, Who's favorite thing is to go
against The First Amendment, and shove things up their Anal Cavity. I
just can't do it

nofreedomtospeak

can a person no longer say what they feel..maybe some of us dont think its ok to be gay!

Wicked Witch

Wow and just think 50 years ago "gay" meant you were happy. What if... What if he meant "happy" reporters GLAAD???

BarbieQ

So I guess the whole "sticks and stones" thing doesn't apply anymore? And isn't calling someone homophobic the same? There are way too many double standards expected by all these extreme groups and I for one am absolutely tired of every word that comes out of our mouths being disected and anlyzed into something it never was to start with. We have to tolerate the lunatic fringe, but they don't have to tolerate the norms of society.

cash

in the real world who really gives a rats az for what GLADD has to say??well besides Harvey and his co-flamer Perez!!

johnny

The Pink Hand and other liberal groups constantly come after the jobs of straight people for this crap and they expect us to vote for them to be able to marry? I think not.

The guy's slurs were directed at straight people, gay people were not even involved in this incident until they injected themselves into it.

rhbjorn

I don't think Americans get the concept of freedom of speech.

Frank

GLAAD should really spend more time chastising the media for glorifying this story and others. Not everyone has twitter but the media turns a simple statement into a full fledge assault on the gay community. Then people feel the need to apologize for something said in jest. Our society is becoming increasingly hypersensitive and hypercritical.

Jenny

GLAAD IS A BUNCH OF GAYS TRYING TO FORCE PEOPLE TO ACCECPT THEIR NASTYNESS!! Let me tell everyone this-continue to stand up for what you believe in. Oh ya, they try to corner Buju Banton into apologising and giving them the money from his song "Boom by by". What a nerve!

noneofyourbusiness

I didn't even know that this happened until GLAAD made a big deal about it. GLAAD will do anything to get their names in the press. Stop shoving your gayness down my throat. My favorite uncle is gay-but even he is embarassed by GLAAD's antics and whiney-baby attitude. There is no law that says we have to respect the wishes of GLAAD. I hate them. GLAAD and PETA should be lovers.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments