The Letter Sent to Oprah's Staff

11/19/2009 8:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Over the past several weeks, my team and I have had conversations with many of you to help address your questions about the future of "The Oprah Winfrey Show." Of course, the one question we couldn't answer was the one that only Oprah could. And tomorrow, she will do just that.

But before she speaks to her loyal viewers, we wanted to share her decision first with you – our valued partners for more than two decades.

Tomorrow, Oprah will announce live on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" that she has decided to end what is arguably one of the most popular, influential and enduring programs in television history. The sun will set on the "Oprah" show as its 25th season draws to a close on September 9, 2011.

We welcome you to share this news this evening with your colleagues and viewers. As we all know, Oprah's personal comments about this on tomorrow's live show will mark an historic television moment that we will all be talking about for years to come.

We want to thank you for the partnership and friendship we have shared over the years. Your invaluable support has helped us to create the phenomenon of the "Oprah Show" that we've all been so proud to be a part of for the last 24 years. My staff and I will be calling all of you directly tonight and tomorrow. We look forward to speaking with you.

And, if you think the last quarter century has been something, then "don't touch that dial" as together we plan to make history in the next 20 months...and beyond.

Yours sincerely,

Tim Bennett
President, Harpo, Inc.

COMMENTS

Julie

One of the very best shows e-v-e-r. Rest in peace in 2011.

Balls has no Balls

She is LAME!

marie

Well there is some more to add to the unemployment line. Oprah lost a ton of viewers with her "OBAMA-NATION" an issue she should have stayed away from the beginning. As my daddy always said - don't talk religion or politics with your friends unless you want to lose them. She did just that, a lot of us did not vote for or endorse Obama and she shoved it down our throats. I personally stoped watching in February of this year after she made the idiotic comment about how the Obamas brought back family dinners. I found that to be a pure insult! Well good riddence and I hope all thoses laid off can find new positions while she continues to revel in her millions.

why?

Wow, I will miss the Oprah show. I am sure she will invent something else. I think she deserves to retire and enjoy the rest of her life in peace. If it were me I would have retired at the billion dollar mark and bought a remote island somewhere...

April

Well...it is a historic event, though I wonder why she has chosen to stop the show. There must be something bigger over the horizon that we aren't aware of. I don't watch it but once in a while, though she has become an icon in our society and so she will be missed by many I am sure.

Bonnie

Relax Oprah fans. Oprah is merely ending one network show; in order to create an entire Network.

Also, start cranking up those resumes as she's had enough of Chicago. The lady is LA bound.

Yo Steadman - coming?

Seriously!!!

I find it totally ridiculous that so many uneducated, misinformed people, give Oprah so much credit for Obama winning the election. Were you equally as mad at the ladies on the View who supported Obama? As far as those who will be out of work, what is she supposed to do, do the show until she dies?! Most tv shows do not last 25 years, and I am sure those employees were well taken care of during the run!

bambam

Oprah sold out your everyday wife and mother,, with her family values,, then supported Obama, cause he was half Black,, the only reason... now Obama is going to be half white cause his rating are going way down,,, 68% in Jan,, to 46% as of today.. Oh and if you don't vote for health care then your NOT black.. hahaha

BROOKE SHIELDS BACKSTABBED KIEFER FOR FREE DESIGNER CLOTHES

GOOD BYE YOU CLOSET RACIST EGOMANIAC PHONY!!!!! GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOO BAD MICHELLE WAS SMARTER THAN YOU, YOU EVEN TRIED TO BE MRS PRESIDENT!!!! FU OPRAH, GET LOST!!!!

HaHa!!!

Oprah did what Barbara Walters, Katie Couric & a whole bunch of other WHITE women in broadcast couldn't do. She owns her own production company, magazine and is worth over $2 Billion dollars.
Don't hate the player. Hate the fact you couldn't do the same.
Go Oprah!!!!

Your Name

Thank God Oprah's propaganda show is OVER! GOOD RIDDANCE YOU FAT LEGGED BIGOT!

GEORGE

GOOD RIDDANCE TO Oprah's SHOW I HATE IT SO MUCH PUT SOME THING BETTER IN HER PLACE

Eaglewerks

Even if one does not watch the Oprah Show, we all soon hear about what happened on the show. Her show probably has had an effect upon society more than any other contemporary television show. She gave us, or at least our girl friends or wives, guidelines on current reading and style. She gave all of us three Doctors, one of which it turns out really isn't a Doctor. Because of them we are all conscious of our health and diet which as a society in general we cared little about prior to meeting them. She gave us a Decorator, who actually seemed approachable and like-able. We also grieved when he lost his love in a tragic tsunami. His ideas on design have changed the way men, straight and gay, look at their homes. It will be interesting to see what she plans to do after the close of her show in 20 months. It will be interesting to see if her new as yet UN-announced project will effect us as much as her simple talk show did in its 25 year run.

JRK

Are you sure this was a letter written to the staff? It doesn't read as such. If anything, it sounds like a letter to affiliates..."Our staff will be contacting you..." But I thought the letter was to the staff? Just saying.

Your Name