« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods

Breaks from Golf

Admits 'Infidelity'

12/11/2009 8:48 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

BreakTiger Woods has just announced he'll be taking an "indefinite break" from golf -- and for the first time, he admits to acts of "infidelity."

Woods just released the following statement on his website:

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children. I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try.

I would like to ask everyone, including my fans, the good people at my foundation, business partners, the PGA Tour, and my fellow competitors, for their understanding. What's most important now is that my family has the time, privacy, and safe haven we will need for personal healing.

After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person.

Again, I ask for privacy for my family and I am especially grateful for all those who have offered compassion and concern during this difficult period
."

UPDATE: Golf fun fact -- when Tiger was out of golf for eight months last year while recovering from reconstructive knee surgery, TV ratings dropped 50 percent while he was out of commission.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

Angel

I'm sure his dad is rolling over in his grave 10 fold right now.

theresa banks

we all make mistakes i so sorry that this happen to u tiger im really going to miss watching you play. its also good that u r taking that time to get things right in your life hugs and kisses to you and the family

Eric

You know what I think about Tiger Woods's feeling towards all this negative response. I think he left it behind after he took a #2.

We know he have wife and children and we are pretty sure he is a great father. He can be forgiven, and he can change. If not?:

The worst? it would be simple, he lost half of his money, share custody of kids.
The good? he will continue to make millions from golfing and be a good father and just maybe the single ladies or married ladies on this forum, might have a chance to get in his pants.

As for the Medal, he doesn't have space because all his trophies is taking up most of it. Tiger Wood is going to bounce back and soon its going to be nothing but positive responses.

vik

No 316 What has the colour of his skin got to do with it?
All blackmen are dogs? (Thats a bit strong considering Woods is mixed race)
I live in Europe, United Kingdom, and whilst I'm not excusing what Tiger woods got up to, we have a lot of white men (high profile sports stars) who do the same thing..I've read with great interest the various opinions on this scandal.
Has anyone for once stopped to remember that you have to small innocent children involved in this, and the treatment there Daddy gets will effect them in later years..

L337M4573R

his apology is appreciated

HA

Oh please....he's just sorry he got caught. What a slimy, dirty, loser.

glendagoodwitch

Tiger's father set out to create/develop the best golfer of all time. Obviously he was not interested in creating or developing a decent human being. Like father, like son. To my understanding Tiger's father also did not stay true to his wedding vows (allegedly). While I admit that Tiger is/has been great for the game of golf, I cannot accept the hypocrisy that is Tiger Woods. To deliberately promote oneself as family first, I now find terribly offence, he and his marketing team deliberately deceived everyone of us and I find that a new low in advertising. I will go out of my way to never purchase anything that has the Tiger Woods brand on it. You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool them forever.

YARINAH