« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods

Breaks from Golf

Admits 'Infidelity'

12/11/2009 8:48 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

BreakTiger Woods has just announced he'll be taking an "indefinite break" from golf -- and for the first time, he admits to acts of "infidelity."

Woods just released the following statement on his website:

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children. I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try.

I would like to ask everyone, including my fans, the good people at my foundation, business partners, the PGA Tour, and my fellow competitors, for their understanding. What's most important now is that my family has the time, privacy, and safe haven we will need for personal healing.

After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person.

Again, I ask for privacy for my family and I am especially grateful for all those who have offered compassion and concern during this difficult period
."

UPDATE: Golf fun fact -- when Tiger was out of golf for eight months last year while recovering from reconstructive knee surgery, TV ratings dropped 50 percent while he was out of commission.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Hope Wilkinson

Cut the bull $hit, Tiger. You are hiding on the yacht - NOT being with your family while SMART your wife is moving out! It is hard to make this marriage work if you arne't even in the ball park - but hiding your black butt. Probaby have a couple of HO'S on the boat with you to concole you in your grief? GOOD GRIEF - gives us a break. We aren't stupid!! The mess you have alone caused is enough for us all for a life time. JUST GO AWAY - FAR AWAY AND TAKE THE BIMBOS WITH YOU.

k

This is fallout from the madam being busated in may all of his tramps ARE PROFESSIONALS
DUI and seeing hookers every weekend !!! the least of his crimes are infidelity

Hoosier Girl

If Elin stays, the rest of the world will not have respect for her. What kind of message is she leaving to all the men that do cheat on their wives? That is ok to cheat on your wife with skanks, just as long as the husband has money. I'm sorry,you might as well put her into the category with the other skanks if she don't leave him. Tiger is a serial cheater--he will never change. This isn't "real" love.

annie

DESERVES NO SYMPATHY...HE KNEW EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS DOING. HE THOUGHT HE WAS SO DAMN SMART TOO.
HIS WIFE,CHILDREN AND HIS IN-LAWS DESERVE SYMPATHY. NOT HIM.
A lot of people {especially women in the news} have taken far more ongoing flak than THIS A-hole, but have the morons in the poll think he deserves A BREAK ??? That is pathetic. It only shows the lack of morals in this pathetic country. Hell, Britney Spears took worse than this, and the poor girl didn't hurt ANYONE except herself.
THIS jerk has made a mockery of his family, ruined their lives, proved he''s a huge slut, and after showing extreme cowardice NOW he is putting out a half-baked "I'm sorry" that his lawyer wrote up.
HE'S ONLY SORRY HIS SLIMY CHARACTER HAS FINALLY BEEN EXPOSED. That is all he's sorry about.
His wife thought she had a safe world for herself and her babies.
Woods is a sociopath. Elin needs to just distance herself from this complete loser as fast and far as possible. He belongs with all his bimbos.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/11/tiger-woods-taking-break-golf-hiatus-infidelity/6#c23877837#ixzz0ZQlYqTOQ

Sick of Idiots lke Wombat

I seriously doubt Elin will divorce Tiger. She certainly isn't staying in the marriage for the money; she was set for life whether she divorces him or not. It's the power and status she gets from being the wife of Tiger Woods that is intoxicating. It can be just as addictive as the sex that Tiger craves. It makes her feel "important" when people "fawn" over them, fans recognize them and they get the superstar treatment when they dine out or go to ball games. I know, because I was friends with someone who was famous and while the wife didn't exactly seek out the spotlight she loved the way they were treated whenever they went out or how just the mere mention of "his" name opened doors. That's why a lot of these "stand by your man" types don't divorce their straying husbands. Yes, I'm talking about the Spitzers and the (Kobe)Bryants. Saying they are staying together for the sake of the kids is just an excuse. A divorce is not going to prevent the kids from seeing their father.

Mr. DNA

We all cheat. Sorry ladies. If your man hasn't done it yet he will. You just won't know about it. But most of us are not dumb enough to fly her to another continent to do it. Asian massage parlors are the best!

Madam Obvious

No real surprise, it's probably the best move he can make at present. He needs to lie very low and seek help to either revive his marriage or end it, and get help for his chronic catting around. Golf tourneys should be the last thing on his mind.

sounder

PGA is screwed. 4 tournaments without sponsors, ratings 50% down without him playing, and we'll watch players who benefited from merely being a potential foil get hurt in the pocketbook (Mickelson, Singh, Adam Scott, Villegas, Garcia, Els, etc). Akin to watching to watching a movie with Robin and The Joker, without Batman.

How did he win so much these last 5 years with all this crap in his closet. Seems as if he didn't care. Maybe the self destructive behavior was his out and he was just waiting. Obviously, he was more concerned about his wife finding out about one of these women than anything else.

Elin is going to take control of Woods. She's doing for the sake of her kids and him. This is a man who's staring at +5 billion dollar in earnings in his career. She ain't sticking around for a 80million dollar chump change and she isn't going to ruin a great legacy for her children. Smarter and tougher than I credited her (thought she was bimbo nanny who never uttered a word in public).

Tiger will be back. He's the perfect distressed asset to global conglomerates. I'd approach him with a 20+ year contract that is back end loaded and just ride it out. He won over 50% of the time he tee'd it up these last 2 years with a personal life in the toilet and messed up leg. Too many milestones out there 19 majors, 100 wins, and he'll have that before 40.

Good luck to the family.

mary goldwater

GOOD LUCK TIGER...I WON'T BE WATCHING GOLF WITHOUT YOU PLAYING ..IT'S TOTALLY BORING..I HOPE EVERYONE THAT GOT THEIR POUND OF FLESH IS HAPPY, ESPECIALLY THAT RETARD PARNEVIK..OH HE REALLY BRINGS A LOT TO THE WORLD OF GOLF...FIND YOUR HAPPINESS,YOU SURE GAVE ME A LOT WATCHING YOU PLAY....

k

Michelle Braun leaked him as a client all of his ladies are hookers

Warren

Tiger is no different then another man. I'm not saying that every man does it but, a good percentage do. Anyway, I was wondering how long it would take to read that Tiger would enter rehab. Its the thing to do in the land of image making.

NJ

he got caught and that's the only thing he's sorry about...screw him. i hope he loses all of his sponsors. he blew it big time. mister goody-too-shoes is busted. he built his reputation on being such a great guy, family man and now he's proven to everyone what a total A S S he truly is. i feel sorry for his wife and kids.

turns out he's just another a selfish, self-absorbed athlete who only gives a rats ass about himself...period...poor kids!

Steve

He ISNT taking a break from golf at all. The regular season is over. It resumes in January. This is just his phoney-ass way of trying to look like he's making a sacrifice for Elin. TOTAL PR!!!!! More lawyer BS trying to save Titanic..err, I mean..Tiger

Mary

If you look closely at Tiger's teeth, the front left one is fake..It was reported Elin threw a phone at him when she read the text from Rachel .She possibly knocked out his fake tooth, resulting in his not showing face in public..I think he withdrew from golf to "heal", but not his marriage, his face...

isthatallthereis

He's only sorry he got caught