« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods

Breaks from Golf

Admits 'Infidelity'

12/11/2009 8:48 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

BreakTiger Woods has just announced he'll be taking an "indefinite break" from golf -- and for the first time, he admits to acts of "infidelity."

Woods just released the following statement on his website:

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children. I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try.

I would like to ask everyone, including my fans, the good people at my foundation, business partners, the PGA Tour, and my fellow competitors, for their understanding. What's most important now is that my family has the time, privacy, and safe haven we will need for personal healing.

After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person.

Again, I ask for privacy for my family and I am especially grateful for all those who have offered compassion and concern during this difficult period
."

UPDATE: Golf fun fact -- when Tiger was out of golf for eight months last year while recovering from reconstructive knee surgery, TV ratings dropped 50 percent while he was out of commission.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

slkeener

He got caught................I bet daddy is turning over in his grave. I thought Tiger had this thing called integrity.....NOT. What a shame. My heart goes out to his family.

golfer

I guess all that travel was just too expensive...

oopapinastyoo

Thank you TMZ and the rest of the media for having Tiger Woods take a break golf for who knows how long.. Christ Rock said it best " you guys dont publish news, you make it" this is horrible for the sport and the funniest thing is that you guys dont give a rat's ass... shouldn't you be ashamed for yourselves.. im gonna start the TMZ for the TMZ employees.. lets see if you guys would like me and my crew in front of your house, in your faces, watchin every move you make... im gonna call it www.papstmz.com ... as much as entertainin as it is, you guys need to know when to back off! I think some of the celebs shouldnt be charged for kicking some of your people's asses... you deserve it.

melvin polatnick

It is no longer a secret. Tiger has made love to hundreds of gals since a teen, and has never used a condom. His fearlessness of STD is shocking. He would have nothing to lose if he already was HIV positive. But Tiger looks too healthy to have the monster.

Chip and Diane

We are very happy that he made this choice. Our prayers our with him and his family. We have been very strong critics of his mistakes but cannot ask more then what he has just said. Our wish is that they will be able to find some way to heal and become a stronger family then ever before. He will have to be transparent, and she will have to forgive but not forget.

We are very happy with his decision.

Mr. DNA

my advice to all people who go out on a date never in your life have high expectations. Firstly you don't know the person so does he, what does that mean be yourself don't try too hard to be another person because this is the first time and it's very important that what the person sees is what she is going to get. Ladies stop faking who you are ordering salad and fruit juice while your are dying to have ribs and a cider. Gents stop figiting if she is yours she will like you irrespective of the big nose that you have.

Sparticus

Tiger, that's probably way better than shooting your self. Dam ,one more week though and I would have had your A33!!!

Dave

Elin said: One more woman and I would have gave him the boot. I can accept 11 women, but 12 would have pushed me over the edge.

shawn

Nice statement... sounds like his PR team at work again. Of course he has to mention his foundation IE "I'm really a good person". I don't buy it this time. He fooled everyone his whole career with his wholesome family man image and he's trying to fool everyone again with a PR statement. He deserves everything he's getting. He's only sorry he got caught. Why preserve your image when it's been exposed as a sham image all along.

Dave

Let this be a lesson for all you guys out there. NEVER and I mean NEVER text your mistress from home while your wife is there.

jan

He owes the public nothing, he only needs to try to save his marriage & family & protect them. I wish him the best & hope he gets himself together. I was such a huge fan of his, I'm not sure I ever will be again, but no one can take away from him his great golf ability & the joy he gave us who loved watching him. If he loses Elin he will have lost a remarkable woman. I for one will pray for this family to heal.

JScorpLeo

With all the crooks in the current administration, y'all want to focus on a golfer's admitted infidelity to prove...what? To all you that think Tiger is the devil incarnate, where's your 'holier than thou' morals for those we employ in Washington DC?

Regardless, this fake anger is childish and laughable.

Jo

I agree with those who say Tiger is only sorry he got caught. And his wife is crazy if she stays with him. Not only cheated with who knows how many women, but shockingly completely unconcerned about STD and put her and the kids at risk.

JoeP

Great now he has more time to spend with all of his white whores (including the one he married)

rico

Im waiting on the JUSUS thing........