Garth Brooks Sues: Hospital Made $500,000 Error

12/16/2009 2:28 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Garth Brooks Sues: Hospital Made $500,000 ErrorGarth Brooks is waging a bitter legal war against a hospital in his hometown, demanding the Oklahoma hospital return a $500,000 donation he made because it never named a building after his mother.

It's all over a deal Garth claims he made with Integris Canadian Valley Regional hospital in Yukon, Oklahoma about four years ago. In his lawsuit, filed in state court in Oklahoma, Garth claims his donation was supposed to go towards a new hospital building that would be named after his mother Colleen -- who died from cancer in 1999.

But the building never got built -- despite a $27 million renovation and expansion project last year -- and Garth wants his money back claiming the hospital breached the donation contract.

The hospital claims it's all a giant misunderstanding and hopes the dispute will reach a "swift and amicable end."

Renay

I think it's kind of disgusting that Garth Brooks is asking for his money back that was donated. So basically what he is saying is that the only reason he donated the money was so he could have his mother's name on a building? So he didnt donate it to actually help the hospital out? Well he looks bad in my books. Mind you, he always has.

yup

I've got a building I'll be happy to name after your mother, for $500K.

Joy

Wow Garth brooks is disgusting for wanting a donation back! Hope nobody buys his cd's

getoverit

What a jerk...he gives money to a charity to help people then wants his money back cause his ego is hurt. Was this donation to help people or to make him and his family look important. What a azzhat!!!

Firefly

Maybe Garth should write a song about it and put it on YOU TUBE like this guy did...ENJOY, this is great!

A musician named Dave Carroll recently had difficulty with United Airlines.

United apparently damaged his treasured Taylor guitar ($3500) during a flight.

Dave spent over 9 months trying to get United to pay for damages caused by baggage handlers to his custom Taylor guitar.

During his final exchange with the United Customer Relations Manager, he stated that he was left with no choice other than to create a music video for YouTube exposing their lack of cooperation.

The Manager responded : "Good luck with that one, pal".

So he posted a retaliatory video on YouTube.

The video has since received over 5.5 million hits.

United Airlines contacted the musician and attempted settlement in exchange for pulling the video.

Naturally his response was: "Good luck with that one, pal" .

Taylor Guitars sent the musician 2 new custom guitars in appreciation for the product recognition from the video that has lead to a sharp increase in orders .

Here's the video ....

A musician named Dave Carroll recently had difficulty with United Airlines.

United apparently damaged his treasured Taylor guitar ($3500) during a flight.

The Manager responded : "Good luck with that one, pal".

So he posted a retaliatory video on YouTube.

The video has since received over 5.5 million hits.

Naturally his response was: "Good luck with that one, pal" .

Here's the video ....

s

oreo

I have never heard of this hospital before....

Mark

Come on folks, if a hospital makes an agreement, they should keep it or return the money. Don't blame Garth for a hospital that did not keep there part of the contract. Hospitals are not poor mice you know. They get lots of donations. They do like us to think they are poor.

me

I have a friend who is a band member of Garth's and let me tell you all right now! He IS NOT a jerk! He is the most giving man I have ever known. He treats his people and the people around him with more respect than any other celebrity. This is where people are misdirected in how they see things. If this is true, i would be a little upset to. He is making sure that the honor of his mother be put where it needs to be. This was a special gift from him to his mother and for those others that have loved ones in this position, and for them not to honor his wishes is a slap in the face.

trish

Wow what a greedy ass..It is gonna cost taht much to do so anyway??I'd rather help the people than get a building named after me..Most people look at it and say who the hell is that anyway? Oh Garth Brooks mom.?.Oh for F*&KS sakes..and she did what gave him life?? So I gave a child life do you see me wanting a buildnig named after her?? If i had $500 to give out I would be giving it to St Judes to help the kids...Grow up you whiner garth...You sure have gotten greedy. What Trish taken all your $$$ Away so you need to find a way to ge some back?? Jack ass...

oreo

. he is a digusting mess - why oh why is anyone surprised - after that crap he pulled years ago with "I can't stand the corruption in the music industry - I'm quitting - I have more money than my children's children can ever spend" and everyone did exactly what he wanted - went to the "farewell concert" and bought everything they could get their hands on - I never could stand this douchebag - I wish he would just go away
Posted at 11:14AM on Dec 16th 2009 by s

=====================================================

Didn't he also leave his wife for that lady who is a country singer? I think her lastname is yearwood or something like that..

Gertie Gal

I agree with Rich (comment #8). The hospital took the money and used it for other purposes BUT apparently the donation was meant for a specific purpose....don't blame Garth for the hospital's wrong doing!

Man

I'm not a Garth Brooks fan but for all you pathetic commentors that are enveyous of this singer because he is successful and ridicule him for forcing the hospital to do as they agreed to do or give the donation back. It all boils down to money, when people work hard and earn it they then become subject to being trashed. I would wager that none of you commenting and ridiculing Brooks have ever donated very much to anything.........SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT GIVING TO CHARITY YOURSELF, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!

amazing

The center hasn't been built yet, so how can it be named for his mother yet? Most construction has slowed because of the economy, and the center will be built in the future. It's not like Garth footed the bill for the entire center - if he had it would already be done or well underway.

Steve

Something isn't adding up here. Depending on what type of a "building" you're talking about. the next time you're in a hospital room that houses patients just look at how almost every square foot of the walls is fitted with outlets, monitors, ventilation systems, UPS power..etc. Each room can cost easily over 50K to construct depending on the land chosen, the height of the building, etc. 500K is certainly a lot of money to most people. But to think you get lifetime naming rights for 500K out of 27 million...no way in hell. The 500K would certainly help build several rooms or part of a lab but it wouldn't even come close to making the entire thing!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments