Sheridan: 'Housewives' Creator Attacked Me

4/6/2010 7:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nicollette Sheridan has sued Marc Cherry, the creator of "Desperate Housewives," alleging he struck her across the head and face on the set, and after she complained he fired her.

In the legal papers, obtained by TMZ, Nicollette is suing for assault and battery, gender violence and wrongful termination.

Sheridan is suing for more than $20 million.

In the lawsuit, Sheridan claims Cherry created a hostile work environment from the get go, "behaving in an extremely abusive and aggressive manner toward the individuals who work on the show."

Sheridan says during the 5th season, Cherry put her in his crosshairs. She claims on September 24, 2008, he physically assaulted her after she questioned him about something in the script. According to the lawsuit, "Cherry took her aside and forcefully hit her with his hand across her face and head."

According to the suit, after the alleged incident, Cherry went to her trailer to "beg forgiveness."

Sheridan says she immediately reported the incident to ABC, but Cherry's aggressiveness only worsened and ABC failed to take action.

And get this ... The suit alleges when Cherry found out Teri Hatcher went above his head to complain about him, he said, "I hope Teri Hatcher gets hit by a car and dies."

And, she says, she was killed off the show unfairly.

UPDATE: ABC tells the L.A. Times "While we have yet to see the actual complaint, we investigated similar claims made by Ms. Sheridan last year and found them to be without merit."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

cynicalsandy

I've worked behind the scenes in Hollywood for years (Burbank Studios, so not actually Hollyweird, but that's where they end up)and I have met Nicollette many times and have found her to be such a normal person, if normal is caring and considerate of the others around her in professional situations. I have also met Marc Cherry several times, and have heard (unflattering)stories about him for years. I believe her 100% and number 8-hope you're single and alone, cuz you sound like an idiot.

Thunder Thighs

Men should not hit women or lay a hand on them under no circumstances. The same is true for women,they should not lay a hand on a man unless it is nessasary to defend themselves. And everyone needs to be honest just like what happened with Mike Tyson years ago. Does she have proof that he attacked her while on the set? and why wait until now. If this did happen then the number one show on television could be canceled.

Nenny

This is 2010 and STILL violence toward women exists! It is shocking and I seriously doubt Ms. Sheridan would make a statement like this unless it really happened. Bravo to you Nicollette for standing up for yourself at great risk to your wonderful career, there are battered women everywhere who should follow your example and 'not sweep it under the rug.' Shame on Mark Cherry for the blatant misuse of his authority/status and for his abusive treatment of a female.

Reno514

Does anyone believe that this piss ant, empowered by his belief that he can make or break an actor's career, would have slapped Arnold for ANY reason? The answer to that question tells you what type of characcter we're dealing with.

Sheridan, of course, was naive to believe ABC would not cover for the slimeballs they hire.

gizmo

Well I will not be watching the show anymore. I am not going to watch a show where women are being abused and nothing is being done about it. All women should be outraged. Write the advertisers and tell them you will not buy their products if they continue airing their commercials during Desperate Housewives.

Thunder Thighs

HOW CAN ANY OF YOU FORM SUCH NEGATIVE OR BIASED COMMENTS WHEN THIS HAS NOT GONE TO COURT. NO DECISION HAS BEEN DELIVERED. I HOPE THERE IS OVERWHELMING PROOF. ABOVE ALL, I HOPE CO-WORKERS SUPPORT HER WITH THEIR EXPIERENCES WITH THIS MAN AND NOT FEAR FOR THEIR JOB POSITION. I WITNESSED OUR COURT SYSTEM MANY TIMES; IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FAIR AND JUST, BUT SOME JUDGES AND JURIES ARE BIAS.

I WILL NOT SUPPORT DESPORATE HOUSEWIVES UNTIL A DECISION HAS BEEN REACHED.

OUR SOCIETY STILL TREAT WOMEN SECOND AS CLASS. IT IS BETTER THAN IT USED TO BE, BUT THE WORLD IS NOT EQUAL FOR WOMEN OR FOR PEOPLE WITH DIFFERENCES. WAGES ARE NOT IN SINK WITH EQUAL EDUCATIONAL ABILITIES. OFTEN, WOMEN'S OPINION, COMMENT, AND SUGGESTIONS ARE NOT RECEIVED AS BEING CONSTRUCTIVE. WOMEN MORE THAN MEN ARE USED AS LACKIES FOR THE PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS WORLD.

I HAVE WORKED IN THE PROFESSIONAL WORLD FOR 59 YEARS, WITNESSING UNJUST HAPPENINGS BETWEEN WOMEN WORKING FOR MEN.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR ANY MAN OR WOMAN TO RESORT TO PHYSICAL ABUSE. IF THIS MAN DID HIT HER - SHAME ON HIM; HE DEFINITELY NEEDS JUAT PUNISHMENT. IF SHE BROUGHT ABOUT THESE ACCUATIONS IN RETALLIATION, THEN SHAME ON HER.

DESPARATE HOUSEWIVES SCRIPT WAS A WONDERFUL SATIRE DURING ITS FIRST YEAR, BUT HAS CHANGED COMPLETELY FROM WHAT IT STARTED OUT TO BE.

I WISH HER WELL! SHE IS AN ACCOMPLISHED ACTRESS.
RESPECTFULLY,
BEVERLY, NY

Thunder Thighs

WHAT THE HELL DOES POLITICS HAVE TO DO WITH THIS NO. 28 EVERYTIME THEIR ARE COMMENTS ON ANYTHING SOME DICK MAKE IT ABOUT POLITICS,I'M A REPUBLICAN AND YOU SEEM LIKE A WHINNY LOSER WITH A LOT OF ISSUES. I WISH SOMEONE WHOULD SLAP YOU IN THE FACE, PULL DOWN YOUR PANTS AND GIVE IT TO YOU LIKE YOU WANT IT.

Thunder Thighs

I've been on set before--I use to run my own cable TV show for many years and everybody always seemed to get along with each other just fine--it was fun!
I do know, if you treat people with respect no matter how much they frustrate you, you will have a succesful business--no matter what kind of personalities you have to deal with at any given time.
People seem to follow the leader--if the leader of the pack is always treating people with disrespect, that is the example that people follow. If the leader of the pack is a nice person and treats people with kindness and respect, people will also follow that example and will find great success with their employees and in their company. The employees will go out of their way to treat their employer with kindness and respect as well--it's a pretty powerful tool to follow.
TopRankingRealtor@msn.com