The 'Lost' Diary -- The Last Recruit

4/21/2010 7:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Welcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

Lately, I have been having a difficult time writing this intro paragraph (sometimes I have even skipped it all together). Then today, a friend who doesn't watch "Lost" asked me, "Hey, how has this season been? I've heard mixed things." I struggled to answer him. I wouldn't say I have been disappointed by this final season, but how many truly great episodes have we had? Maybe two? The rest I have felt very ambivalent about. Maybe that's why I can't think of a topic to lead the Diary off with each week.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. Tonight I am watching "Lost" with my co-worker Molly and her weekly crew. I have been warned about excessive pausing and needless chatter. Should be interesting. Let's roll ...

9:00 -- Is it just me or was the Previously on "Lost" segment very flash sideways heavy.

9:01 -- Picking up where we left off at the "Lost" Tribal Counsel, Not Locke tells Jack they have "a lot of catching up to do." Why would Not Locke say that? Is there some part of Locke still inside there?

9:02 -- Not Locke tells Jack that he sometimes like to dress up as Christian Shephard and go haunting Jack in the jungle. OK, he didn't say it in those exact words, but still. By the way -- if we never hear from Christian again, I will be beyond angry.

9:03 -- Not Locke is explaining to Jack that he has been Team Jack from the beginning -- and that it was Jacob's fault he was stuck on the island in the first place. I think Not Locke is gonna need a better sales pitch than that. Then again, Jack is pretty dumb.

9:04 -- "My name is John." -- Locke. Sun is being wheeled into the hospital at the same time as Locke and freaks out.

9:05 -- A Claire/Jack reunion has about as much emotional pull on me as one of those DirecTV commercials.

9:06 -- "You decided the moment you let him talk to you; just like the rest of us. So whether you like it or not, you're with him now." -- Claire

9:10 -- If you had a secret, would you tell Hurley?

9:11 -- When was the last time this many Losties were together at the same time?

9:12 -- "So nice to have everyone back together again." -- Not Locke. Dude, I JUST SAID THAT!

9:13 -- "It would never work, sweetheart. I'm a cop, you're a murderer." -- Sawyer

9:14 -- Zoe has shown up to camp and she wants Desmond back. What would happen if Team Widmore killed all the candidates? Would Not Locke be able to leave? Can they even be killed?

9:15 -- "Well, here we go." -- Not Locke

9:20 -- Claire and Desmond have run into each other as Claire is headed to an adoption agency. Desmond is trying to help Claire with her adoption meeting, but really just comes off like a creepy stalker. But he's got an accent and he's quite handsome, so I am guessing Claire will be all for it.

9:22 -- So instead of being some kind of mercenary, Ilana is a lawyer in the flash sideways universe.

9:23 -- Not Locke is rallying the troops to take on Team Widmore. Not exactly the speech from "Braveheart," but it will do. We also had to watch this scene twice because Molly went through the convoluted process of removing one of her socks so she could use her feet to steal a bag of Thin Mints. These kinds of things don't happen when I watch "Lost" by myself.

9:24 -- Sawyer is letting Jack in on his plan and Not Locke is sending Sayid to kill Desmond. I wish I could combine those sentences and Sayid was headed to kill Jack. Alas ...

9:30 -- Apparently Desmond is chilling in the bottom of a well. Last week they made that well seemed like it was never-ending, this week it was like 20 feet.

9:31 -- "This woman, when she asks you what you did to be with her again, what will you tell her?" -- Desmond

9:32 -- Remember a few weeks back I threw out an idea that how much people changed in their flash sideways was some how indicative of which team they ended up on? And I said that Kate, Sawyer and Sayid all seemed to still sort of be the people they were before the island? Have you noticed who this week's flash sideways seems to be focusing on? Just saying ...

9:33 -- Was Sayid just thwarted by a garden hose?

9:34 -- Sawyer is trying to explain to Kate that since Claire is "drinking Locke's Kool Aid" she's not allowed in their escape plan. I can already see how Kate goes against Sawyer's instructions and screws things up. It's the Kate way.

9:35 -- Seems as if Sayid is running a little late -- perhaps Desmond's little speech worked? What am I saying? Of course it worked! Desmond can't die in the bottom of a well.

9:36 -- Jack is carrying out Sawyer's plan, but Claire has caught wind of it.

9:37 -- Sayid just lied to a man who can turn into a black cloud of smoke and kill everyone. Bad idea.

9:39 -- Kate's speech to Claire has worked... for now. Is it weird I am rooting for Claire to die?

9:40 -- "He finds out we're gone, he's gonna be mad." -- Claire

9:44 -- Jack and his son are the lawyer's office to hear Christian's will being read -- and to meet Claire, I suppose.

9:45 -- "He was my father too." -- Claire. Never a fun sentence to say or hear.

9:46 -- There's been an emergency at the hospital -- probably something to do with a paraplegic being hit by a car.

9:47 -- "Doesn't feel right. ... leaving the island." -- Jack

9:48 -- "Get off my damn boat." -- Sawyer. Man, that was a ridiculous line.

9:49 -- "I'm sorry I got Juliet killed." -- Jack, right before he jumps off the boat. Guess that makes Jack ... the last recruit.

9:55 -- "The baby's fine." -- Jin. I think that's maybe a sign of which side of things they fall on on the island.

9:56 -- I'm actually enjoying Jack and his son and I liked that Jack jumped off the boat. Wait, do I like Jack now?

9:57 -- "I got this." -- Jack

9:58 -- It just hit me: Are we about to get our Jin/Sun reunion?

9:59 -- "Sun?" -- Jin

9:59 -- "Jin?" -- Sun

10:00 -- "Deal's off." -- Zoe

10:01 -- "You're with me now." -- Not Locke

If Kate Hudson was on "Lost," she'd probably say, "It's all happening." Of course, if Kate Hudson was on "Lost," it would suck.

Anyway, I think the point we are supposed to take home from tonight's episode is that everyone is coming together -- both on the island and off. I can't remember the last time we had so many of our main characters together.

But if the point of the episode was simply that the main characters are coming together, then was there really any point?

This is also the second week in a row that we've been given the answer to a long-standing question and that answer just felt "convenient." So the Man in Black took the form of Christian back in episode 3? Do you think the writers knew that at the time they wrote it? And hasn't Christian appeared to people off the island (Michael, right before he died) and we know the MiB can't leave the island?

Although ... it was "Christian" who was the one who told Locke to bring everyone back to the island. So perhaps that works. Still, feels a little forced.

Speaking of Christian -- if there are no further revelations about him before this is all said and done, my head will explode.

Tonight's episode violated a major rule for me: The Sydney Bristow rule. Several episodes of "Alias" would end on a cliffhanger with Sydney facing certain death. Really? You're going to kill the main character now? I don't think so.

"Lost" did it tonight ... twice! There was no way in hell Desmond was being shot at the bottom of a well. And I certainly don't think half the cast is getting mowed down by machine guns on the beach. Faux suspense is the worst thing a show can do.

All in all, tonight's episode did very little for me -- and I didn't even get to the let down I had from the Jin/Sun reunion. I was expecting a little more build-up (like one of them actually deliberately doing something to find the other, rather than "Oh hey, look. There you are." And don't get me started on Sun's reappearing English).

I give tonight's episode a C-. We're getting down to the wire here and I expect a lot from each episode and lately, I feel like they are falling short.

Here's a question -- remember back during season 2 or 3, when something so mind-blowing would happen, that you'd have to pause the show right then and there? Maybe even immediately rewind the scene and watch it again? I called them TiVo Moments (not sponsored).

How many of those have we had in the last, let's say two seasons?

It's not the barometer by which to judge all of "Lost," but I miss those moments.

Millner

Ahem, please refer to Zoe as "Not Tina Fey". Such poor casting.

Lost blows this season.

lostfan

I enjoyed the recap, opinions and all.
By the way, did anyone mention no LOST for 2 weeks?? waaaah!

pati

2 weeks? Milka-what?

Cindy

I thought this episode was poorly organized, poorly edited or both. I love this show, and I too will be frustrated as hell if the writers don't step up to the plate and give it the quality and substance it deserves in the last episodes. How many nights have you gone to sleep only to dream about this SHOW? Maybe everyone is just tired - the writers, the actors. That's no excuse fellas. We have hung in there and been devoted fans for six long years with frustrating stops, starts and excrutiatingly long times between seasons. Give us a great ending - answer the questions with dignity and depth, not just some convenient one liner delivered in a deadpan voice.

LostieLinda

Daniel - would you rate these episodes the same if you didn't know this was the last season? I think that's what is screwing with all of our heads. The fact we know it's ending makes us think every episode should have twice as much meaning as usual. This is exactly why people aren't born with expiration dates - we'd drive ourselves crazy dissecting every moment instead of just living.

Boston

I think "LOST" is trying to lead us one way but much more is going on. We need to take a step back and look at the big picture. Kind of like that movie where the little boy was talking to a dead guy the entire time and we didn't know it till the end(he had the same clothes on the entire time). Anyway, I DON'T think the new Lock was pretending to be Jack's father on the island. He just doesn't want Jack to know what he saw was really his father. I think somehow the new Lock might be more than one person on the island. Who didn't go with Jack, Hurley, and the rest of the gang to see new Lock face to face????? I'm really starting to think Ben might be a fake and keeping Richard from them is what he really has to do. Remember he told Hugo don't bother going after Richard when he went calling for the new Lock to save him? Also when the group got to the beach they shut off the fence because they thought they were all good. So then they let Charles W. know who arrived and he says don't think so! WTF,That loving reunion didn't last long! I think we still have some rotten apples in the bunch and Charles knows it. I hope the rest of Lost gets better, It's been a let down since the amazing "Richard" episode!

Wendy

I'm sorry if this has already been said, but can someone explain how in the beginning of this season Kate picked up Claire from the bus stop right after they got off the plane in the stolen taxi and then they went to the adopting family's house and then Claire went into labor and gave birth in the hospital... and now in last night's episode she's walking around town pregnant now. We know her scene with Desmond in the lawyer's office couldn't have been before Kate picked her up because Kate picked her up while still at the airport, right after they got off the plane. What is that going to be about??

balls

balls

WeatherB

"Claire went into labor and gave birth in the hospital"
-She didn't have the baby. It was probably preterm labor, and they stopped it.

Is anyone getting the impression that Desmond is the "new" Jacob? He was sure acting like him on the island.

Also, I think Jack may have died and come back in the bombing. Remember how they hinted that Claire had died (dead-guy talker was shocked to see her after the attack on the Darhma houses). Not-Locke was treating him in a way that would suggest something had shifted, even though Jack didn't choose to join him.

mvp

#12 Mary - ... Learn proper grammer if you're going to blog.

Umm ... maybe you should learn how to spell before you complain about someone's grammAr!!

I thought the episode was decent. Yes, I wish they would answer more questions, and the Jin/Sun thing was a little weak, but still going to miss this show when it's gone.

truth hurts

Just some thoughts...Michael was on the freighter when he died and wasn't really that far from the island...Jin's body ended up on the island before it vanished and he was in the same explosion. This one had some interesting moments: Is Jack dead from the explosion and that's why he belongs to Locke now? What did Sayiid do with Desmond cuz my gut says he freed him. How is Desmond's magical power going to save everyone and I still want to know if Widmore is good or evil. I think this episode was a B+ because the side ways view is definitely indicating that their lives would suck whether on the island in at home...The grass is not greener on the other side.

urbusted

"And to those other "fans" who would relish the smell of Cuse's farts: as far as your, "If you say something bad about my show, you better go watch something else" hissy fits, get some backbone so the criticism doesn't hurt so much, wimps! I mean, hell, you don't write the damned show, act in the show, have no financial stake in the show....all you are is a fan! Not a disciple (and if you are...GET A LIFE, TOO!). Period. Like you can demand conformity and put down critcism like a despot puts down a freaking up-rising. You're too damned lazy to even GET the power it takes to demand conformity. You don't like what he says...write your own damned blog (same argument you're using conceptually), then you can tell everyone how you creamed your slacks when Miles made a another joke, or Kate looked longingly at Jack, or Locke gave somebody "that look". I agree with the 40% of the commenters who suggest this has been a slow final season. Why do I watch...I invested years waiting for this crap (back when it wasn't all crap). I'm riding it to the bitter end....but there's no auto-switch that predetermines I'll like what I see when I get there. "You're bring me down, Dude?" Well, who's fault is that, that your emotional well-being is as fragile as Jacob's Lighthouse?

Posted at 12:07 PM on Apr 21, 2010 by The Evil Marshall D"

Wow... I think someone needs a nap. What an unpleasant person you are. I know you must be an unhappy person, but you, Marshmallow, are an total ass.

emma

I have to admit I seem to be very responding to mistakes in continuity lately but what was it with the "Sawyer-Jack" scene...Sawyers hair was completey different when you saw him from the front and over the shoulder. This and the question..."what the hell happened to Miles" where the biggest questions I went out of this episode (yeah, I know he went with Richard...but had forgotten it).

b

This guy is a tool. Why do think anyone cares? LOOOOOSER

jojo

I don't know the blogger, Daniel, but I have to say to AGF and everyone who is blasting him please just relax. This is HIS blog and can write whatever he wants. We are all passionate about LOST, hence the reason we read this blog. Let's enjoy it.

I still think the hospital is the main source of something and that's why everyone is ending up there.

LOST rocks:)