Bret Michaels -- 'Setback' in Recovery Process

4/27/2010 7:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0423_brett_michaels_BN_TMZ_03Bret Michaels' reps confirm that the rocker suffered a "setback" in his recovery from a brain hemorrhage -- and he may now be at risk for seizures.

According to Bret's people -- test results show Bret is experiencing hyponatremia, a side effect from the subarachnoid hemorrhage which is caused by a lack of sodium in the body. The condition can often lead to seizures.

But despite the setback, doctors are still hopeful Bret will gradually improve, "as the blood surrounding the brain dissolves and is reabsorbed into his system, which can be a very painful recovery and take several weeks to months."

Bret's reps also report that the rocker "remains under 24-hour observation in the ICU and is in positive spirits. He is responding well to tests and treatments."

Bret was first hospitalized for the hemorrhage last Thursday night after complaining of a massive headache.

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

LadyN

136, NOTHING is ever certain with brain injuries. There are no "always" or "nevers" with brain injuries. People react differently and come out of these things with degrees of diability from 0-100 and it is NOT POSSIBLE to know where Bret will land at this time. Not even his own doctors, let alone some doctor who has no idea what is happening, can predict the degree of damage or recovery Bret will have yet.

Mike

wow, i can't believe this i listen to his cds as hoping he feels all his fans are there for him! my son has been born with disabilities 7 surgeries and is only 6 does have some problems with the brain as he cant talk much at all, from all that's happened so as i may not exactly know what hes going through i can relate somewhat i will add Brett to my list of prayers. Mike

maria

bret michaels...im very glad to hear your doing better..i have been praying for you, and will continue to pray for your quick recovery..hang in there and be strong..GOD IS GOOD !!

heidi

God be with you Bret, you are such an inspiration. Not just with your musical talent
but as a beautiful being. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Love always, Heidi

Rhonda

Along with your thoughts and prayers for Bret..say one for the HATERS who's lives must be sooo miserable they have to post nasty messages and TRY to make themselves more important...

GET BETTER BRET

Steve

I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage also when I was 49. I am now 55. I know exactly what Brett is going through. Leaked 2 teaspoons of blood and sealed itself. This is so painful. The blood that leaked does not get along with the spinal/brain fluid and it causes the most severe pain. 33 and a third chance to die immediatley, 33 and a third impaired for life, and me, 33 and a third no side affects and lead a normal life. Very lucky! Missed 6 weeks of work.

I spent 11 days and nights in Savannah Georgia Memorial hospital, neurological intensive care. Thank God for Dr. Suh and the medical staff there.

We were on vacation in Hilton Head when it happened.

ANGELA GRISWELL

BRET, I AM PRAYING FOR YOU. I KNOW JESUS IS AT YOUR BEDSIDE WATCHING OVER YOU. WITH HIS ANGELS WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE. HE IS GOING TO GIVE THOSE DR'S AND SURGEONS THE RIGHT INFORMATION TO GET THIS ILLNESS UNDER CONTROL FOR YOU. AND GET YOU WELL. WE, THE FANS ARE WAITING FOR YOUR BIG COME BACK 2010... I KNOW YOUR FAMILY IS ALSO.
THEY ARE ALSO IN MY PRAYERS. AS, I MENTIONED BEFORE, GOD HAS WORK IN PROGRESS FOR YOU SO, HE IS NOT READY FOR YOU YET. ACTUALLY, YOUR LIFE IS JUST BEGINNING. YOU HAVE TOURS TO DO. FANS TO SEE AND MEET.
MORE MONEY TO BE MADE. AND A WONDERFUL LIFE LIFE AHEAD OF YOU. BRET, YOUR FURTURE IS STILL VERY BRIGHT. PEACE AND LOVE TO YOU, YOUR FAMILY, AND YOUR BAND. PLEASE COME BACK TO US SOON. LOVE YA, ANGELA G. IN GA. 04/30/2010 11:30 EST.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sally

Come on Brett you can do it. We are not ready to loose such a gifted artist like you. I love you, your music, your personality, and your wacky fun side. Get better Brett. The world needs you and your music

queen420

I hope he gets better!!!! He's an awesome dude cute to!!!!

sue

I am glad that he is getting better. I wish the very best for him or anyone else that is going thru this. For their sake and their families sake. I pray that he will slow it down some, sat back and take a deep breath and look at what God has handed him. Not one chance but two chances at life within a week of each other. I pray that he thanks God and gives him the glory for his recovery and look at the most important things in life. Not partying 24/7 or those awful shows he does, but God, his daughters and family and friends. And what a special gift that God has blessed him with. I wish him the very best in his recovery and his life and pray he never has to go thru anything like this again. God Bless!

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10