Bret Michaels -- 'Setback' in Recovery Process

4/27/2010 7:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0423_brett_michaels_BN_TMZ_03Bret Michaels' reps confirm that the rocker suffered a "setback" in his recovery from a brain hemorrhage -- and he may now be at risk for seizures.

According to Bret's people -- test results show Bret is experiencing hyponatremia, a side effect from the subarachnoid hemorrhage which is caused by a lack of sodium in the body. The condition can often lead to seizures.

But despite the setback, doctors are still hopeful Bret will gradually improve, "as the blood surrounding the brain dissolves and is reabsorbed into his system, which can be a very painful recovery and take several weeks to months."

Bret's reps also report that the rocker "remains under 24-hour observation in the ICU and is in positive spirits. He is responding well to tests and treatments."

Bret was first hospitalized for the hemorrhage last Thursday night after complaining of a massive headache.

maryk

I started crying for him. I felt so sad thinking that the world might lose another special person. I am keeping him in my prayers. Thank-you to the medical personnel that are taking such great care of him!

Rick

I hope he gets better and I'll pray for a speedy recovery.

sweet

My best wishes and thoughts are with Bret and his family. He is so very fortunate to have survived this. I hope that he will continue improving and overcome this. Thank - you Bret for all the great shows and fun times I have had at Poison and your shows. We love you here in Scranton Pa.

Debi

man, thats scary! This all came from that fall & I question if they did a cat scan when that wall came down on him & he hit his head & broke his nose & if so did the scan show anything? I would be rounding up to lawyers to at least cover the medical bills & then some pain & suffering. I'm not a true fan but I enjoyed poison back in the day. Really enjoyed Rock of Love & now celeb apprentice. Its way too soon for you to go Bret so good wishes, prayers & get well soon!

docgyrl

I really hate when you guys attempt to report about medical facts...you never ever get it right...

hyponatremia is not caused by low sodium, it literally means low sodium, it isn't a disease or something...you need better researchers on this stuff!

Santa

The only thing that clown is talking about is when they are going to take his temperature again rectally. Or asking when Boy George is going to visit. rotflmao

elmer

He is such a great guy and a outstanding faily man i am keeping him in my thoughts and prayers daily. I was a big fan of Poison and all his solo cds are awesome also. Get well soon

KRAZY KOOKY KLOWN

YO-YO

The yo-yo is a popular toy consisting of a length of string tied at one end to a flat spool. It is played by holding the free end of the string (usually by inserting one finger in a slip knot) and pulling at it so as to cause the spool to turn whilst suspended in mid-air, either taking up or releasing the string. First made popular in the 1920s, yo-yoing is still very much enjoyed by both children and adults, though it was originally made as a children's toy.

In the simplest play, the string is initially wound on the spool by hand; the yo-yo is then thrown downwards so that it first descends unwinding the string, then (by inertia) climbs back winding it up; and finally the yo-yo is grabbed, ready to be thrown again. Many other trick plays exist, most based on the basic sleeper trick. One of the most famous tricks on the yoyo is "walk the dog". This is done by throwing a strong sleeper and allowing the yoyo to roll across the floor.

The earliest surviving yo-yo dates to 500 BC and was made using terra cotta skin disks. A Greek vase painting from this period shows a boy playing yo-yo(see right). Greek records from the period describe toys made out of wood, metal, or painted terra cotta (clay). The terra cotta disks were used to ceremonially offer the toys of youth to certain gods when a child came of age—discs of other materials were used for actual play. Philippine historical records indicate that 16th century hunters hiding in trees used a rock tied to a cord up to 20 feet in length to throw at wild animals beneath them—the cord enabling retrieval of the rock after missed attempts.

A yo-yo competition normally consists of two parts, a set of compulsory tricks and a freestyle, where points are scored for each and the winner is the yo-yoer who scores the most points. Compulsory tricks (also known as a trick ladder) are a set of tricks that have been chosen before the contest, and the competitor must successfully complete each trick on their first or second attempt to score points. The freestyle is when the yo-ist performs a routine to their choice of music in front of a panel of judges, and is judged based on difficulty of the tricks, synchronization with the music and artistic performance.

KOOKYPEDIA

balls

balls

HAWK

Stay relaxed and thoughts with only the option towards the road to recovery! I had a mild stroke (blood clot in my sinus cavity) at age 25 in 1985 and had a full recovery. I'm lucky to be alive and had the support of family and friends that kept me positive through the whole experience! Hang In There Rock of Love!

Nippi

I've always liked Bret he's a good guy!
My prayers go out to him and his friends, fans,family and kids.

GET WELL SOON!!

Love Ya!

Batman

I'm praying his guyliner wasn't smudged

Thomas

Lets leave the guy alone so he can get better. I do appreciate TMZ dressing up the story that he has "hyponatremia" (whether quoting sources or not)- which is LOW salt. But the terminology makes a better read for publicity right? Star or not- let him get better.

Chammy

Dear Bret, by the time you read this, you will have won
"The Apprentice". NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER give up. Keep the faith, keep fighting, this is the fight of your life. Stay STRONG. You will get thru this. You are in our prayers and thoughts.
A few years ago, an acquaintance (sic)I met for a brief moment, suddenly dropped to the floor with excruciating head pain. I'm sorry to say that she didn't make it. YOU were meant to be here for a reason, and that's why you are still alive. YOU'RE still ALIVE!! There is a reason. I know it sounds sooooo cliche' but it is true.
God bless, stay strong and positive.
GET WELL soon...

kellie

i hope he gets better soon..