Conan O'Brien on NBC-- It Was 'Toxic'

5/1/2010 1:21 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Conan O'Brien says he wouldn't have done what Jay Leno did to him -- and that there was nothing NBC could have done to repair his relationship with the network.

Conan sat down with "60 Minutes" to discuss the "Tonight Show" fiasco and how he felt he needed to part ways with NBC no matter how they went about things.

The full interview airs tomorrow night.

Rafaelle Zuccaro

You know Conan, YOU , JAY DAVE and the rest of you Rich, F-ing Funny A--holes are all the same-- You guys live like KINGS of wealth, can do and go anywhere you desire- and all you guys do is COMPLAIN about things that mean NOTHING!!!~!I think You, and the rest of the TV and Movie people ALL SUCK big time- Your industry is why this country is becoming a nation of DECADENCE- All of you lean in that direction, with your comic FILTH- I hope people would ignore ALL of you self-centered A---HOLES. Most of all, Dont even try to be serious,--You clowns are ALL two-faced attention seekers-YOU guys contribute NOTHING to DECENCY_

Lea

really?? 32 million dollars and he's still whining? get over it

Frito

If you are looking for something to put you to sleep Jay Leno is the clear choice.

He panders to the simple minds of middle aged, middle America.

Boopsie2008

He needs to get past the bitterness. NBC had a right to shake up its lineup if things weren't working out, and they hadn't guaranteed Conan any particular time to make a success of things. Plus, I question whether he would have succeeded. While his bits can be hilarious, his interviews were often stilted and awkward. His style just didn't seem to translate to the 11:30 crowd.

That said, I wish him all the best in his new show.

Alex

OK Conan we get it, you were wronged. Now move along, you're milking this to the point were I don't feel sorry for you anymore. Don't do to Lopez what Leno did to you, OK?

Martha

When will this guy ever stop whining! Give me a BREAK!
The bottom line is Conan is a buffoon....NOT funny.
Letterman is a creep. I can't stand him. NOT FUNNY
Leno IS FUNNY. He works his butt off for his audience, and doesn't fill our time with stupid, meaningless antics.

Get over it "Coco".

lynn

Conan is a hypocrite. It was OK when he pushed Leno out of The Tonight Show slot during contract negotiations 5 yrs ago, but cries foul when NBC gives the show back to Leno. At the end of the day, it's all business. If Conan had delivered the viewers, he'd still have TTS.

Britney

COCO was way better and way funner than jay
jay needs to quit
It would be great if he went to CBS
than you would have the funnest light night hosts
ever
David Letterman
Craig Ferguson
and
Cohan O'Brien
That would be amazing!!

Right now NBC has the worst and I mean the WORST
late night hosts ever!!

buc

nbc...nothing but clowns

Harvey's Momma

What a baby. "I wouldn't have done what Jay did, but that's just me." Sour grapes, baby.

CocoFTW

I keep reading comments that say the show failed because Conana wasn't as funny as Jay and it makes me wonder....

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??!??

Jay Leno SUCKS! He's terrible! His humor is like the Wal-Mart of comedy, perfect for mass consumption, but LOW quality.

Conan is awesome,and all you moron's that think otherwise probably voted for Sarah Palin too.

Boopsie2008

It has to be said. Conan continues to gloss over the fact that NBC went to Jay first and asked him if he'd resume The Tonight Show if Conan didn't agree to being moved back half an hour. Jay said yes - that was understandable. With that single question, NBC made clear that it valued Jay far more than Conan at that point - a decision time forced upon NBC by its affiliates. Conan's fans can complain all they want that Conan wasn't given sufficient time. That isn't the point - the point was NBC didn't have the time to give, since it was facing a revolt by its affiliates. NBC HAD to make a decision right then and there.

Conan could have done a counter-negotiation to ask NBC to stop its news at 11:25, so that Jay could come on 5 mins earler and "The Today Show" would have actually started with five minutes left in the day (also making both shows start before Letterman and Ferguson's shows, too). Perhaps a little creative negotiating on Conan's part would have helped. Yes, there was a huge hit to his pride with the schedule change, but NBC was in new territory here with the affiliates' near-revolt, and Conan could have come off as the good guy by being accommodating. However, I think it was just too much of a kick in the gut to him and hurt too much for him to roll with the situation and look magnanimous.

Irene

I think all the comics have their own brand of humor and not all are funny all the time. The plus for Leno is that he puts his guests before himself. Letterman, Connan and Fallon seem to want the attention more on themselves and they all think they are a riot and it makes their show very boring. I think the Jimmy Fallon show is a snoozefest...Same schtick all the time and goes on way to long and just not funny. If we wanted to watch the host constantly there would be no guests.

Lou

Hey King, what the hell are you, an english teacher? I am smart enough to know how punctuation goes. Just in case you are not smart enough to figure it out, I was questioning it over and over again. Also, I am a girl, not a cowboy. Lou is short for my name which I do not wish to disclose to *******s like you.

Mike

Im confused conan wasnt it you who threatened to leave nbc unless they moved you to the 11:30 timeslot which forced leno to announce his retirement.......get over it, people should have known you would fail in that timeslot......if leno is guilty of anything its doing what nbc execs tell him to its not like he runs nbc