Chely Wright -- She's Coming Out

5/2/2010 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned the big "coming out" announcement planned for this week will be ... country star Chely Wright.

There's been a big buzz over the last week as to which celeb was announcing he/she was gay ... we knew it was going to be unveiled in PEOPLE mag next week.  But now TMZ knows for sure.

Wright has a book coming out this week as well -- it's called, "Like Me."  And she has a CD coming out too -- called "Lifted Off the Ground."

The 39-year-old singer scored a #1 country song back in 1999 with "Single White Female," when she was named Academy of Country Music new artist of the year.

Wright is the first major country artist ever to come out.  She has been romantically linked to a number of celebs, including Brad Paisley.

This is a big deal in the country world.  Chely is rolling the dice on her career ... it's unclear how traditionally-conservative country fans will react.

Interesting ... she lists Howard Bragman as her publicist, who was the mastermind behind the Chaz Bono story.

Mystery solved.

Bobju1

It Really Doesn't Change Anything. If You Liked Her Music Before,
then you still will. And If You Don't Like Her Or Her Music You Can
Change The Channel..

Bob

GG1000

Wow, that's impressive - "coming out" timed with an associated book and single release. She should call it "My Coming Out Book" and put a CD of the single in the book. This is multi-media famewhoring.

Who IS this chick? I thought the buzz was that it was going to be a celebrity? And how was the "Buzz" generated? By her publicists would be my guess. The Kardashians should bow down in homage - they're amateurs.

Karen

I support her decision, and I am very much a country music fan. We're not as conservative as a lot people think.

kickaboo

Chely Wright is a Kansas girl. I know most Kansans already love her, so let's see if they know how to love unconditionally or are hypocrites in this mostly RED state.

Blue in KS

Jason Chambers

How about coming out and saying she's marrying a black guy?

kickaboo

iwcmvp

I would have thought Terri Clark was gay the female country singer. Chely Wright is ok though. No biggy. She was good back in the day. A few good songs. That was then though.

kalmanizer

Well believe it or not I have ACTUALLY heard of Chely Wright and I am a fan of her Country Music. I am a HUGE fan of Country Music in general and believe it or not I am from Brooklyn, NY!

Anyways who cares what the heck Chely is in her private life. As long as she doesn't shove her beliefs down my throat then what business is it of mine? I am NOT gay (or a lesbian)and NEVER plan on being one. I have nothing against gays or lesbians. I disagree with the gay and lesbian lifestyle but hey everyone for themself. We are entitled to our own opinions so long as we are NOT hurting anyone with them or preaching our beliefs down each other's throats.

Lynn

I've loved Chelly's music since "She Went Out For Cigarettes" and "It Was". "In The Back Of The Bottom Drawer" is another song that I really related to also.
I don't care if she likes men or women, she can sure as hell sing a country song better than just abut anyone I've ever heard!
All you people that have never heard of Chelly, You are missing a beautiful voice!

GriffNoMore

First major country star? I wonder what k.d.Lang thinks of that?

Joey

What a dud! Nobody, unless you're a country music fan, knows nor either cares. I don't mean to sound so unexcited, but this news does not live up to the hype that's been created since Bragman announced this "big coming out."

Check please!

kate

where is the I dont care button

Harmonika Savingsbonds

Here we go!

Make some popcorn. There is nothing more special than watching all that "Xtian Love" turn into sheer hatred for who she is.

Sadly, the blessedly ignorant can be entertaining...

happy anon

Congrats Chely for speaking up..Now, when is Terri Clark coming out? Chely is a good singer and songwriter and she has done alot to support our U>S> troops..for those who care. And just so you know,, saying she's a Major artist means She's on a Major record label. I see there's a bunch of A-holes on this comment page who have no clue what they're talkiing bout. K.d Lang just let it be known she had the hots for Cindy Crawford..I knew when I first saw her debut on Hee Haw she was gay..There's alot of country artists who are gay, but they marry the opposite sex to please the damn media and to try to fit in. It sucks that people feel they can't be honest. Chely has always had a huge gay/lesbian following and now, I'm sure her cd's will sky rocket once the lesbian community hears of this. Unlike the straight world..when one reveals they're gay..the Gay/Lesbian community welcome them with open arms and support each other.

Bob

That's sad. I know she supports the troops though. I always wondered about her because she is beautiful and I hadn't heard about her being involved with anyone.