Murray's Visit to Osteen Church Not for PR

5/10/2010 2:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joel Osteen's right-hand man tells TMZ Dr. Conrad Murray was indeed invited to come to Osteen's church yesterday "to pray and worship," and met with Osteen privately before the service.

Dr. Conrad Murray
TMZ first reported Osteen invited Murray to the service.  Someone from Osteen's media relations department told us it was a PR stunt, but the guy who runs the PR department says that's not true.

Donald Iloff, Jr., the Chief of Strategic Operations for Osteen (and Osteen's brother-in-law), tells TMZ, "Dr. Murray did call the church to speak with Osteen a while back but Osteen was not available.  Osteen's rep then invited Dr. Murray to yesterday's service."  So, Dr. Murray truly was invited.

Iloff says Murray met privately with Joel and Victoria before the service.  We do not know what they talked about.

After the meeting, Iloff says Dr. Murray attended the service.  "He was really engaged in the worship service," Iloff says.

moni

Speaking of AEG in this context: What exactly did AEG think they were paying Murray that very substantial amount of money to do?
Sing lullabyes for Michael every night? Nah.

Posted at 2:24 PM on May 10, 2010 by Siggisis

LOLOLOL! Yep, or counting sheeps, each one with a Dollar-sign on his back. Aaargh!

janalal4

Totally overlooked that one. Surely they must have wondered about that.......or was it ..see no evil. hear no evil...

Posted at 2:30 PM on May 10, 2010 by Lee lee

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/05/10/dr-conrad-murray-visit-joel-osteen-church-houston-pray-michael-jackson/7/#c3209297#ixzz0nZ5s2fMK

Agreed! See no evil, hear no evil! DENIAL-addicts arent' the only ones who suffer from it. I think the folks at AEG truly did care about MJ the human being. MJ's eccentricities probably helped hide the fact that he was impaired. How many people along the way in his life probably said to themselves, "Ah, that's just Michael, he's just different". Speaking of which, did you all notice him with the gum & the lollipops during TII?? Dry mouth or what?? Pretty good indication of drug abuse. It's a hard call though, you don't want to think badly or make assumptions about someone, especially if that someone is Michael Jackson, right?! Anyone can Monday morning quarterback & I know how GOOD addicts can hide their disease so I'm not too hard on the cast & crew of TII, AEG, etc for not intervening. I'm sure they question & kick themselves ENOUGH now as it is. Wouldn't you?

moni

My opinion is that it was and is their daily business as a concert agency to deal with all kinds of drug addicts among "their" artists. It's a sad, sad truth that addiction and drug- or med-abuse is widely spread in show business, so much that insiders from the "scene" maybe don't even consider it as something unusual – like we would probably do in OUR everyday's life.

Lee lee

Yea janala

I sure did see that Gum smacking......Boy was he going for it, and the lollipops....I didn't actually realise that dry mouth was a side effect of possible drug abuse...I learn s much from you everyday.
Thanks. : )

janalal4

99. Janalal,
thank you so much for your detailed answer, this was highly interesting! And it confirmed what I've already expected, namely that Michael could have easily cleaned up before the test (what definitely would have been in AEG's interest). As well very plausible your point concerning Xanax.
BTW sorry, janalal, I didn't want to touch your history in an impolite way, had completely forgotten about that. But should you ever sit at Larry King or Oprah as an expert for medical affairs re Michael Jackson – I see that coming!!! – please don't forget to wave to us, we've bee your first attentively "listening" audience, lol!

Posted at 2:40 PM on May 10, 2010 by moni

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/05/10/dr-conrad-murray-visit-joel-osteen-church-houston-pray-michael-jackson/7/#c3209320#ixzz0nZ8NHWlv

Ahahaha! Yeah, don't count on THAT! I don't mind 'going public' on this message board but don't look for me on Oprah. Poor Michael tried to be honest about certain aspects of HIS life & got the crapped kicked out of him repeatedly! I'm not insecure about my recovery(obviously cause sometimes I get the crap kicked out of me even on HERE-hehe) & at a certain point you feel compelled to 'share your experience, strengh, & wisdom' as part of Narcotics Anonymous & sometimes that can mean something as simple as 'telling your story' in some form-even on a silly message board:) You 'share it & pass it on'. Sometimes it's your 'story', sometimes just your knowledge about addiction. Whatever helps someone else or benefits them in some way. My wish is for people to have a better understanding of what addiction is really all about, to have more compassion for the addict who suffers. If what I have to say can do that with even ONE person then I'll feel like I've accomplished something. It is soooooo misunderstood as you can tell by MANY comments on this board. How can this be in these modern times we're supposed to be living in. There is still so much judgement & prejudice out there r/e addicts. Makes me sad.

Cathy

Posted at 2:46 PM on May 10, 2010 by janalal4

********************************************************

I'm not too hard on them, and I'm also not too hard on the Jackson family for "not intervening". I put it in quotes because I believe plenty of people - including members of the family - DID try to intervene. It's not that easy. I cringe when I see people post things like, "why didn't his family help him?" Duh. Life is not that simple. Don't we wish it was? I think plenty of people knew he was headed for disaster and many people did not want to witness the train wreck, but didn't know how to avoid it. I think people tried to stop it in a myriad of ways. But Michael was a grown man, 50 years old. He was rich and one of the most famous humans on earth. He had the means to block "NO" people from his life and he did so. It was the "YES" people who pushed him to an early grave and the "NO" people who were helpless to stop it. A sad situation. Did anyone see Janet on Oprah? Heartbreaking. She tried. I believe it. They ALL tried -- Janet, La Toya, Randy in particular. I watched the 4 brothers on Larry King, and Larry asked if they felt they did all they could. Marlon immediately responded, "YES" in a way and a tone that said so much more than the one word itself.

Cathy

****************************************

He's had that habit for a looonnnng time. Reports are that the Mexico City hotel on the Dangerous Tour in 1993 reported major damage to MJ's room. This was right in the middle of the first molestation accusations and Michael's first admission of prescription drug abuse. The hotel said there was vomit all over the walls and GUM ground into nearly every inch of the rug and furniture. If you noticed at the public funeral, Prince was smacking gum up on the stage. I'm not saying Prince has a drug problem, but he obviously got the gum chewing habit from his father. BTW, Big Red was MJ's favorite. For years.

Lee lee

Cathy..I do believe that family did try to help Michael. It must have been so hard..to help someone who doesn't want to be helped. Yes, Michael certainly surrounded himself with YES people.
As a sister who has an brother who is an abuser himself...it's the hardest thing to watch someone you love, deny that they have an issue. You want to just get them by the neck and slap them into their senses...you want them to see what you see.
They have to be ready to do something about it. My brother cut everybody off could challenge him about his abuse, and kept the company of only like minded people.
There are never any winners during this process, until the abuser seeks help ....or dies.

janalal4

103. I agree that AEG didn't have any harm in mind towards Michael. Nevertheless, I believe they were aware of his problem.

Posted at 2:56 PM on May 10, 2010 by moni

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/05/10/dr-conrad-murray-visit-joel-osteen-church-houston-pray-michael-jackson/7/#c3209351#ixzz0nZBaY78D

Your EXACTLY RIGHT. I think it is so prevalent in the music industry that a certain complacency or 'numbness' develops to it; certain exceptions are made. I think they satisfied the requirements for their insurance then moved on & hoped for the best. Like I said, addicts are manipulative little buggers & are really good at convincing other people they don't have a 'problem'. It makes it easier when the person your trying to convince has a huge financial interest in believing you!

And your right about having a 'duty' to make sure their artists are in good health & fit to perform. Problem is the difference between the 'legal duty' & the 'moral duty'. Unfortunately a lot of these concert promoters have forgotten that there IS a difference & covering their asses 'legally' becomes the only thing that matters.

Who would have realized just how prophetic MJ's song 'Money' would become? Seems he knew & understood this all along. What a sad realization for him. No wonder he felt so alone all the time. How many people really cared about what was in his best interest?

Okay, I have to leave you guys but I have to go cook some dinner. Everybody's p!ssing & moaning in my house. Can certainly tell 'Mother's Day' is over here where I live:(

Later guys:)

Cathy

Lee Lee - so very sorry about the situation with your brother. You're absolutely right that the abuser/one with the problem has to be ready to accept help before help can be foisted upon them. Once you are an adult, you are responsible for your own choices. I think Michael had many people who truly loved him - for more than just his fame and money -- his family members were among that group as well as selected others. These people would have done anything for him if only he'd asked - or simply agreed. It's easy to spout judgment and make crazy statements like his family should have helped him. If half the people who made these statements actually had switched places with family members, I think they would find that their "brilliant solutions" would not have worked. Reality is a lot different than disembodied fantasy.

moni

Posted at 2:57 PM on May 10, 2010 by Cathy

Cathy and Lee lee,
this SO true! People who post comments like that probably NEVER despaired in the view of the almost insolvable task to help an addicted person. There's no way you can do that without this person's agreement and strong will to get out of his/her doom.
Oh, and all these suggestions to force the addict into rehab. Same thing – if he/she hasn't accepted the need to get help even the best specialists on earth won't reach anything. See what happened to Whitney Houston; wasn't she picked up by the police from her own house and hospitalized? Today she isn't too far away from where she has been some years ago.
Michael, as soft-spoken and gentle he was, has probably been something like the head of the Jackson-family. I agree that nobody, neither Janet nor LaToya or Jermaine had the power to "help" him against his declared will.

moni

Posted at 3:12 PM on May 10, 2010 by janalal4

Good night, Janalal. Ha, my kids' interpretation of "Mother's Day" seems to be it's mother's day to pick 'em up late at night, prepare food and collect the dirty laundry from the biotope they call their rooms. Seen that way, everyday is mother's day. Oh, how I LOVE them :)

Cathy

yes, moni, I'd say it's pretty hard to get an unwilling person committed to rehab against their will. I'm gonna guess that it's impossible to get an unwilling, rich, superstar committed to rehab involuntarily.

In terms of Whitney Houston, my prediction is that she will be the next to go. And it will be yet another waste of a colossal talent destroyed by money and fame and gone too soon.