Adderall May Have

Unhinged Lindsay Lohan

8/20/2010 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Lindsay Lohan's Adderall dependence -- the result of a medical misdiagnosis -- may have been the reason she went off the rails.

081910_lindsay_lohan_getty
As we first reported, the docs at the UCLA rehab facility believe Lindsay was misdiagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ... and was prescribed Adderall to treat the phantom affliction.

Dr. Joe Haraszti -- a prominent L.A. addiction specialist -- tells TMZ ... people who take Adderall when they don't need it can experience similar effects as people who use cocaine or methamphetamine.

Dr. Haraszti tells us ... people who unnecessarily take Adderall can display manic symptoms ... and often do things like "driving around until all hours of the morning ... smoking heavily ... tweeting ... and texting all night long." The doc adds, "They can become very impulsive."

The doc also notes that people in that situation "might then complain of insomnia and then take Ambien or other sleep aids to help fall asleep ... it's a vicious cycle"

Dr. Marc Kern -- another addiction expert -- tells us alcohol abuse is also very common among patients who take Adderall.

Dr. Kern tells us, "The Adderall counteracts the sedative side effects of alcohol use … making these people often drink more than someone who does not take the drug."

Bottom line -- a bad medical diagnosis may have set the ball rolling that unhinged Lindsay's life.

Superman

BS! Stop trying to make excuses for her! She's a "me first" "don't care about anybody else" bitch. The SCRAM bracelet is getting her off the alcohol (at least, for a short while), not from stop taking Adderall. Guaranteed... first chance that she gets, she will be back to her old habits! Do you honestly think taking her off Adderall will stop her from "smoking heavily", drinking heavily, "tweeting" and "texting all night long"?!? Gee, I suppose the Adderall made her go to court with F*ck U on her fingernail and thumb her nose at the court system by not going to her scheduled classes then trying to crash course her missed classes just before her court date! She's not a child anymore...she just acts like a child!

Christy

Not to mention her f..ked up parents.

Pino

And she can take the punches from all sides.. And keeps taking them. Fear God I'll say.. I still think that she has great potential for potentially becoming a very, very potent Christian..

Bugaboo

Oh thank goodness they figured it out. I mean after all, it couldn't possibly be Lindsay's fault that she's a complete and utter idiot - No, we should blame it on....Is this story for real?? Wasn't April's Fools Day in, um, April?

lalaland

There are MILLIONS of people (mostly kids) on Adderall in this country that have been mis-diagnosed with ADHD. Why isn't there an epidemic of people kidnapping and driving recklessly and falling down daily? Telling the court (both in actions and in manicures) to eff off? Just wondering..........

Laffn Bear

It seems to me it is time for all the sidewalk preachers to hit the street corners with their little tracts in hand and leave here.
There is time and place for them. The is not it and they have worn out what little welcome they had.
Hear me Pino and Ernie?
I doubt it. Too focused on yourself and your opinions.

CloBird

Many people are misdiagnosed as ADHD ,ADD when they aren't.To be properly diagnosed one has to go to a specialist,a psychiatrist, or a neurologist,and not a general practitioner.Proer diagnosis requires extensive testing.Many Adderall prescriptions are given without proper diagnosis.Parents demand the drug because they can not control their children and the children are disruptive in school. Lindsay Lohan is addicted to Adderall;she probably was using the drug as a weight-loss tool.Unfortunately this misuse is quite common.
There are other ways to treat mild forms of ADD/ADHD-- behavioral training.

Ernie

Amen, Pino. Lohan is not an addict. Period. Now what? Throw her under the bus? Come on, geniuses. You can do better than sling mud at our lil darlin. LL will make it through this and have a smile in her heart and praise on her lips for Jesus. Just watch.

Ernie

@ Laffn Bear... why hi there.... And who died and made you Harverywallbanger? You boss now? You can tell what should be said and done here on TMZ boards? Give it up. Jesus is the answer .... He is the Way ... the Truth and the Live. He rules and reigns whether Laffin Bear likes it or not. Some demon just has ahold of you and if you cry out the name of Jesus it has to flee. JESUS!!!! JESUS!!!!

Ernie

Don't ya just love it??? All the UCLA docs can not come up with a sickness for LL. My ... my. Ha.

Bill F. Murray

Posted at 11:16 AM on Aug 20, 2010 by Ernie
----------------------------
There is no medical term for "f*cked in the head".

Marie

Lindsay's problems come from her childhood filled with violence and unstability, agravated later when she went to Hollywood too young.
Posted at 12:46 AM on Aug 20, 2010 by mig

Lindsay Lohan needs psychiatric help for the trauma she endured when she was a child.I don't think Adderall pills alone made her crazy.

Rick

They are addicted to attention. http://hubpages.com/hub/Guys-Girls

Seriously?

Speaking of her f*cked up parents, when the UCLA doctors wanted to know who the doctor was that diagnosed LL with ADHD, she couldn't tell them, said he moved offices and had no forwarding address. How convenient for her.

Why is tmz suddenly signing off on LL lies?

j

You people are stupid.. She is taking this just like MOST of the Celebs you see, to stay skinny!.. If you truly have ADHD, this medicine will CALM her down, not put her up.. NOW if you don't have ADHD it will make you become HYPER... IT does the opposite of what you have.. I am on this medicine, not for ADHD, but to help my body get up and get going. ..
.. so again.. She is using it as an Upper, to keep her moving and keep her skinny... I could not imgaine taking it like she does, She is on more than I am. and I only take it on days that my body fails me, to get me up or else i stay in bed all day. And even for me, someone who has been sick for 5 yrs, and doesnt even drive..this med gives the hibbie jibbies.. it makes u kinda, i dont know how to describe it.. But trust me.. she is using it as an upper, if she truly had the adhd she would be calm, not hyper.