« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Reggie Bush -- I'm Forfeiting My Heisman Trophy

9/14/2010 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Reggie Bush is gonna have a lot of free space on his mantle -- because the disgraced former USC running back says he's decided to "forfeit" his 2005 Heisman Trophy.

Regiie Bush Heisman Trophy

Bush just released a statement through the New Orleans Saints in which he explains, "Each individual carries the legacy of the award and each one is entrusted with its good name ... It is for these reasons that I have made the difficult decision to forfeit my title as Heisman winner of 2005."

Bush added, "The persistent media speculation regarding allegations dating back to my years at USC has been both painful and distracting.  In no way should the storm around these allegations reflect in any way on the dignity of this award, nor on any other institutions or individuals.  Nor should it distract from outstanding performances and hard-earned achievements either in the past, present or future."

Just a few days ago, Reggie clamped up when we asked him about the Heisman controversy in New York.
0914_bush_tmz_video
FYI -- Bush is the first player to ever return the award.

Reggie's decision comes in the wake of a report that the Heisman committee was going to strip him of the title in the near future.

UPDATE: Bush is already addressing the issue on his Twitter page -- saying, "Now that this is behind me I look forward to the future and winning more awards and championships here in New Orleans! Who Dat!"

Story developing ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Danesy

Good! They were going to take it away anyway... you just beat them to the punch you overrated fraud.

C

I would've hung onto it until or unless they pryed it from my hands. We all know all those schools and recruiters do scandalous stuff...there's a lot more of 'em out there

Majestik

Good going, Reggie, you just hit 0 on my "Give o ****e meter" This isn't going to make you any more disgraceful.

michelle

is this his way of apologizing to all the USC fans for being banned from bowl games for the next two years??

Rick

It doesn't matter, everyone knows he WAS the BEST player that year and giving it back or having it taken away doesn't change that. I couldn't care less about Reggie Bush but he earned that trophy by being the best and that's it!

Mel

I'm sure it went more like Mr. Bush hell no you are not going to keep that trophy so you say you're giving it back or we're taking it back, yep that sounds about right.

A

Good Job Reggie, this just shows that you are a respectful down to earth kind of guy. This doesn't change the way that I feel about what kind of person you are or a player, you are still a great player and a person in my eyes and this action just proves it even more so. Way to go. Maybe more people should follow you when they do something wrong rather than wait and they have to come get it and cause a scene. We all make mistakes in our lives, guess these people who are putting you down have never made a mistake in their life and are PERFECT.

cd

Hay, wait a minute, personally, I could care less, but Bush returns the Heisman Trophy and OJ kills two people and retains his? WTF

Stupid People Hater

I would return it too. A chunk of metal. His wallet doesn't give a damn.

MissNecie

When will these black athletes learn.......... Don't worry, I'll wait. SMH

Y do he got

A pro is a PRO money walks college players should get money anyway not HO`s the staff buys4dem

Dre

When it rains it pours, first he loses the biggest overrated skank in the world and now the most recognizable award in Football.

Auburn Fan

If they gave it to him, he had to have been the best player. He might not have the trophy ,but he had it. What are they going to do,give it to someone else( the second pick) 5 years later.

ColoradoRob

Now give it to the rightful owner, Vince Young!

CCC

Yeah, he was a great college football player and deserved the trophy, but there are other rules that he and his family had to take under consideration. Break those rules, and everyone related to USC suffers.

As for Post #8 cd - I get what you are saying, but eventually his Heisman trophy was taken away by the Goldman family. He did nothing to harm the schools reputation so he was allowed to keep it. That is until he was found guilty in his second trial.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments