Ricki Lake -- Malibu Rental Burns Down

9/18/2010 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ a home in Malibu being rented by Ricki Lake burned to the ground early this morning.

0918_ricki_lake_GETTY_EXD2
The home was located on Pacific Coast Highway, where authorities had to shut down the road for nearly two hours. The fire broke out at about 7:18 AM PT and was declared "knocked down" at 7:51 AM.

According to local reports, flames rose as high as 30 feet in the air.

UPDATE: A rep for Lake tells TMZ there were no injuries and Lake, her kids, and her dog got out unscathed.

UPDATE 2: According to the sheriff's station, Lake was trying to refuel a portable heater when a couch caught fire.

Dan

are you sure she didn't leave a grilled cheese cooking on the stove?

CGS

Refueled the heater inside the house?? What a friggin' moran! i would personally go w/ electric, you know, if it's inside the house. I wasn'teven aware the had fuel powered heaters for indoors, is this a hick thing? If I was the owner, I would be pissed!

I'm pretty sure it's not too ghetto if it's in Malibu!

Marianne Chitter Chatter

She was such a doll. I was always such a fan of her and what she's done for women of size, but clearly she burnt the place down to collect the insurance money. I hope she enjoys prison, and I hate to say it but later on hell, because that's where criminals go. I also hope she wasn't too attached to her kids because the court will take them away from her when she goes to jail and worst of all, the dogs who are completely helpless in all of this. What a stupid thing to do.

Marianne Chitter Chatter

I loved her when she had her talk show and think she's just a little doll, but there's no way this was an accident. Obviously, she did it for the money. I hope she enjoys prison and then later hell, because that's were criminals go.

Eastender

2 things NEVER to have in one's home. Electric blankets and portable heaters -- especially heaters fueled by gas or propane. Dam - I didn't even think they sold those anymore! dumbass.

john

This was an accident. Ricki is very well off, and does not need money. She has a mansion in LA. . .This was a get-away spot, if she had needed money she would have accepted the invitation to "Dancing with the stars" she was offered last season. . . as I hear it pays 200k to be on. This isn't anything shady.

Wishes

Has she had a nose job??? That nose looks way too small for her face!! Yuk!!

Kàt

sounds as though she was trying to refuel the heating unit while it was still very hot. Refueling should be done outdoors, because of the chance of 'overflow' of fuel to the containment chamber. Wonder what type of heater this was that one adds fuel to and is safe to use indoor. (carbonmonoxide poisioning)
It has been much cooler in the pacific northwest the last few days, but it does sound odd to be using a heater this time of year in California. With children present, I would suggest not using such a device. Oppting for a portable electric/anti tip, automatic shut off electric unit instead.

Jim

Yep i`m with #`s 32 and 35. It`s gotta be an insurance job because nobody can be that stupid, oh wait.....

Stac

It's a RENTAL, people! She would not get an financial gain from this. . . if she has rental insurance, she is covered for property inside the house, but the OWNER is the one that would benefit. . . Stuff happens

Politico Pablo

You think she's going to get back her deposit?

coolaidjr

what happen to her husband or GF why wern't they there?
more than likely outside chop driff wood for the night?

moe

Why is anyone refueling a heater... It is still HOT in california.....I have my air conditioner on!

Marty

The Japanese have kerosene heaters that do not give off Carbon Monoxide. They are made to use indoors.

Re-fueling them while hot is a tricky thing to do and not recommended.

Osh

Anyone question why she was fueling a heater when it's hot outside still?!?!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments