The Beaver 'Saddened' by Death of Barbara Billingsley

10/16/2010 6:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jerry Mathers, who played The Beaver on "Leave It to Beaver" just gave this statement to TMZ on the passing of Barbara Billingsley:

1016_jerry_mathers_barbara_billingsley_getty_ex
"I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend and lifetime mentor Barbara Billingsley. She will live in the hearts of her fans as a wonderful actress and be remembered by her friends as a gracious lady. Barbara was a patient advisor and teacher. She helped me along this challenging journey through life by showing me the importance of manners, and respect for others. She will be deeply missed by all of her family, friends, fans and most especially by me."

As for Jerry, he also tells TMZ he's "excited to be getting married in January at the Waterfront Hilton in Huntington Beach."

TDKD

What a joy it is to watch "Leave it to Beaver" reruns and to see Barbara and the entire cast in their wholesome, humorous roles.
Rest In Peace Barbara.

moonmaid

Love and prayers to her family and everyone who worked on this wonderful show with this lovely lady. Gracious and kind, Ms. Billingsley could be funny, too. No smiles tonight for this fan, my heart is aching.

alan

the 50's were the good times RIP beavs mom

KYAM

"What's amazing is Jerry Mathers had time to issue a statement. What, with all of nothing going on." Posted at 3:31 PM on Oct 16, 2010 by ETM

Gee ETM, why'd ya hafta go and say something creepy like that? You're just a mean old jerk face like Eddie Haskell or that goofy Lumpy.

FYI - Jerry Mathers may no longer be a regular face on TV but he is not a guy with "nothing going on". He is an advocate for an organization that helps financially distressed families pay for needed prescription drugs as well as for a group that focuses on diabetes education. Sounds like he has been making pretty good use of his time

Ron

Barbara Billingsley seemed like a completely genuine, wonderful person. The viewer could sense that she was as nice in her real life as she was in her portrayal of June Cleaver.

Robb

And lest we forget: "Oh, stewardess, I speak jive." Ms. Billingsley long anticipated Betty White's shift from sitcom icon to camp follower with her unforgettable "Airplane!" turn. A skillful actress and a classy lady. I hope she rests in peace as long as her work is seen and enjoyed, because that'd be forever.

Mac

Is this what TMZ is all about? The #2 Post is a blatant advertisement and Mathers has the audacity to say he's getting married in "Surf City"? TMZ should relabel itself as bull**** city for *******s!

Gale

You were a large part of my childhood and will be missed by many fans. RIP

Physical Graffiti

Loved her! What a sad day..."Cut me some slack Jack"...RIP

Claudia Mais

I watch the reruns of Leave it to Beaver on RTV. I was just thinking about her the other day had the news on tonight when they announced her death. She was a wonderful woman and had a good, long life. RIP Mrs. Billingley- you've definitely earned eternal peace in Heaven.

bring back recent posts

I dunno, do we REALLY go to heaven?

Bill Metz

There is no occasion, however sacred or sad, that doesn't summon forth the smallest of us. In this case, it's ETM, # 6, who has to sully one who is grieving from his heart. Shame on you, ETM.

Edith

Personally, I was touched by the kindness of The Beavers words.
No jokes, or non-pertinent information in his remembrance of an actress who portrayed the steadfast mother in a way that really typified that era. I'll bet every TV viewer from those years remembers June Cleaver very well. Certainly she was in our living room with our family on a weekly basis and those memories of our own family, enjoying time and TV together, were happy memories.

Thanks for taking the time to add your own personal words, Jerry. And as others have said, "Best wishes on your forthcoming wedding."

Sincere condolences to the family.

Edith Pilaf

There's a problem here

June Cleaver was the herd dog for her family. She always managed to put them in the right direction even if she was only "a woman" at the time. However, she kicked a&& in Airplane: "Chump don' wan'no hep, chump don' get no hep" Classic. RIP Fine Lady.

Sarah

Rest in peace! She was a beautiful person.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments