Chilean Miner Completes NYC Marathon

11/7/2010 3:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Edison Peña, one of the 33 Chilean miners who was recently rescued, completed the New York City Marathon today with a time of 5:40:51.

1107_edwin_pena_AP
Pena overcame severe knee pain -- as well as having previously been buried alive for 69 days -- to finish the race.

angelwolf333

i think he is great.

if i was trapped in a mine i would try to kill myself as quick as possible.i would freak out and start killing anyone who would not kill me.

Barbie

Congratulations. I think its amazing that after being trapped for 69 days down in that mine, he would have the endurance and lung capicity to pull this race off.

People train for this race all year long, and yet he had no real training for it and finished it.

It makes me proud of him !

Freaks!

the guy was underground, he wasn't held prisoner and tortured for god sakes!

TRW

Simply amazing...especially considering the 69 days spent underground. Marathoners train and train for months before taking on 26.2 miles...and this guy does it within a month of being rescued from the mine. It took unbelievable strength and determination (attributes he must have perfected during his 69 days in the mine), and he should be commended! What a wonderful, positive influence to those around him...

wendy

Simply amazing! After being trapped under ground for 69 days! And then the Marathon! You are my hero! and you should be everyones hero! Way to go!

Get back to work!

Congratulations Edison, and everyone else that entered the marathon.

All of the haters on here haven't the discipline or desire to accomplish such a goal. They're too busy inhaling McFood and molding their cellulite to their couch cushions to ever comprehend such a feat.

Gracie

After such an ordeal in the mine shafts for nearly 70 days, and then for his minimal training running in the mine shafts, and yet to finish the marathon. And to the promoters and organizers of the NYC marathon, kudos when he crossed the finished line, they played an Elvis song for him. That was such a nice touch. Gotta luv NY.

julie

Snookie is also chilean. Have they met yet?

wendy

<3 amazing

Gabriel Ramírez

Flicitaciones para Edison. Soy testigo de la osadía que vivió junto a sus 32 compañeros en la mina San Jose.

Me gusta el deporte y sé que competir sanamente enriquece la mente.

Gabriel Ramírez

Chileno de Corazón...

Corre, correcaminos...Chi, Chi, Chi, Le, Le, Le, Los mineros de Chile......

OPINIONIS

Wena, is a slang word, and comes from the spanish word buena wich means good, or well done.
So, Wena hueón!!

Rox

Okay for those of you intrigued about the word "wena" (way-naH), its a cyber slang word or pure colloquialism for the Spanish word "Buena" as in "esta buena la chica" to esta 'wena' la chica, or ¡Buenos Dias! to ¡Wenos Dias!

Chilena x siempre = Chilena forever...

Kris in NYC

I was so happy I got to see him pass me as I cheered along the route! I was at about Mile 22 and he was walking at that point, and I am so glad he made his goal! He and many others on the race were such an inspiration to be able to do this! I hope the few photos I got of him came out well :)

Alvaro Gonzalez Rodriguez

What a great example for all the people and he comes from CHILE, the best country in the world. !

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments