A.J. McLean in Rehab

1/13/2011 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

A.J. McLean from the Backstreet Boys has gone into rehab again ... TMZ has learned.

A.J. McLean Rehab

One source tells TMZ McLean has been "out of control" in the last few months because of substance abuse, and it was interfering with plans for the Backstreet Boys' upcoming tour with New Kids on the Block.

Sources say on a Backstreet Boys cruise last month ... A.J. appeared under the influence much of the time.

McLean has battled addiction for years. He was in rehab in both 2001 and 2002 for alcohol and cocaine abuse.

McLean made a cryptic reference on his Twitter account, writing on January 9, "I love u all and wish me luck! I start my sober journey tomm!"

On January 10, McLean tweeted,  "See u on the other side!"

Video shot during a BSB cruise for fans last month shows McLean with what looks like a beer -- amber liquid with foam on top.

011310_aj_mclean_video4

UPDATE: A.J. released a statement saying, "For personal reasons, I’ve checked myself into a rehab clinic. With 2011 being a busy year for Backstreet, I want to be healthy and perform & sing for people at my very best and happiest. None of this will affect our current tour plans and I look forward to seeing everyone really soon! Thank you for all of your support and respecting my family and friends privacy during this time."

jus-sayin

Good luck A.J. dont give up on yourself.

Jen

Dude is wearing clip on earrings. Really??? Still, hope he gets better.

artie help

"aj" stands for ass juice, this pickle kissing tool needs to realise that he's not sam ronson.

amyshepherd32

don't give up aj,just don't give up

James

Let's talk about how trashy neck tatoos are. If you get a tat on your neck, give it up. Your life is over. Nobody is ever going to take you serious again.

Trashy people. Rehab is a joke. Show me a person that has turned they're life around with Rehab, and I'll show you Lindsay Lohan. Multiple stints in Rehab? You think that's going to help? Lame. Just get out of the spotlight, lay low. Fix it yourself, then come back. Laser tatoo removal.

AnylahJade

It breaks my heart that he is still struggling like he is. I truly hope he finds the motivation and inner peace he needs to get and stay clean this time.... and hopefully he's most of the way there before the tour starts up... its bad enough its sans Kevin, they cant do the NKOTBSB tour w/out AJ.

julie4evert

Damn, this is really sad news..Good luck AJ!!

jus-sayin

#5 James.....hope you dont get nose bleeds on the high horse of yours.

HarlotO'Hara

AnylahJade: this as**** addict is what breaks your heart? lol...oooooook!

Chris O

Who cares! When you come to the Midwest I'll smoke a bomb with you do a couple of Jager bombs and then tell you your music SUCKS!

Sara

Aj good luck and good job TMZ for spelling his last name wrong. Its McLean not McClain. I wish AJ all the luck and am glad he is getting help.

Jessie

Why does the title header read "AJ McClain"?

kay

first off, i was on that cruise, and while AJ was struggling with his addiction at parties, it was apparent it was NOT as bad as it had been the in the past. He knew when his cut off was, and his voluntarily going to rehab now, when he could be doing many other things with this break before BSB goes to south america and then jumps into the NKOTBSB tour, proves to me that he is trying to make the right calls to improve his life for himself and for his future.

I'm proud of AJ and fully back him in his quest to get sober.

KTBSPA.

Shannon

He better be better by July!! I've already bought my tix!

TheEric

id drink too if i was stuck being a backstreet boy and having to tour with the new kids on the block...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments