Samuel Jackson RIPS Oscars -- No Black Men!?

3/1/2011 9:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Another HARSH criticism of the Academy Awards ... this time from Samuel L. Jackson . .. who's pretty damn upset that there weren't more black actors involved in the show.

Samuel Jackson Video
Jackson was in L.A. yesterday, where he told a photog, "Where were the black actors?"

He continued, "I guess they didn't think we were available to read teleprompters that night ... not a big deal, hopefully it'll get better ... it wont happen again."

Jackson added, "We work in town ... they know who we are, they know we're available to be on that show to represent the people of color who are in the business in town."

For the record, there were no black male presenters during the show -- to which Jackson stated, "Hopefully they wont make that mistake again."

The Love Sponge

Next year will have the academy awards in Cape Town, South Africa.

margaret

Are any other nationality ever involed in the BET awards or on the BET station?

Andrea

They always have to separate themselves. Goodness.

Jennifer

Oh yeah, and Robert Downey Jr. was presenting as a white guy this year.

Jennifer

He may not count Opra as an actress. Ok, I can get that since she hasn't been in any movies in quite a while. Halle Berry however, does qualify as a colored actress. So what he means to say is...there were no MALE black actors presenting this year, right? Denzil was probably unavailable, Morgan just wanted to enjoy himself this year, Lawrence was out of town and..what's that? Oh yeah Samuel, they heard you may be difficult to please.

The Love Sponge

What about the Gay Nazis for Jesus?

Jade

I agree...ONLY 3 BLACK PEOPLE in the entire place amongst HUNDREDS of whites. Damn shame.

Oprah
Halle Berry
Jennifer Hudson

James

Again, another actor whining about some misconceived notion of an imaginary transgression...get the F over yourself! Oh, and by the way, I don't recall any white actors being honor at the BET awards.

KardASSian Butt

As someone who is half Latina - where were the blacks and the Asians. Black men don't represent ME as a "person of color". I'm more or less white and female kind of like a sane, female Charlie Sheen - but still I don't remember seeing Eva Mendes there or Lucy Liu for my Asian friends. Where was Jet Li? WTF - and no I'm not WTFing about representation. I'm WTFing as in who cares. It's usually about who was big in the prior year not about color.

As a "woman of color" (or is that a woman of ethnicity) because I am going to be as nitpicky as Sam, I thought Jennifer Hudson did a great job covering for me.

Icey

Jesus everything comes down to skin color this crap will never end...

KardASSian Butt

I meant where were the Latinos and the Asians... not the blacks.

Truth

OH PULEEEEZ, STFU ALREADY!!!! BLACKS ARENT THE ONLY MINORITY IN AMERICA THAT HAS BEEN DISADVANTAGED. THERE WERE PLENTY OF NON-BLACK MINORITIES THAT WERE REPRESENTED AND 2 BLACKS INCLUDING HALLE BERRY AND OPRAH. ARE THEY NOT BLACK OR HALF-BLACK?? HERE'S A CLUE JACKSON - GET BETTER BLACK ACTORS TO CREATE BETTER BLACK CHARACTERS INSTEAD OF PRODUCE STUPID SHIET LIKE TYLER PERRY'S MADEA CRAPFEST!! OOPS, TOO MUCH REALNESS THERE. NEXT!

SYLVI212

Well, Oprah, Jennifer Hudson and Halle Berry didn't seem to be bothered by the fact there weren't any other blacks on the show, so get over it. Maybe---just maybe---they saw it as an honor to be on the show with all those "horrible, racist white people". You idiots won't be satisfied until there is only one white and the rest black on every show on TV, in the movies, on broadway or anywhere else in the entertainment business. Not going to happen. Like it or not, there are too many talented whitties, we are here to stay. If that's a problem for you, you are going to have a very hard time enjoying the world of entertainment.

KardASSian Butt

#55 Actually now that I recall, Morgan Freeman was in the opening montage.

Jen

Comment #12: Great point.