Mike Starr Memorial -- Grunge Salute at Space Needle

3/20/2011 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mike Starr's memorial is going down today at Seattle's Space Needle where the family and friends have planned an awesome water fountain tribute show for the former Alice in Chains bassist.

Mike Starr Memorial

Mike's sister, Melinda Starr, tells us everyone is gathering around International Fountain -- next to the Space Needle -- where a water show is usually set to classical music ... but for the memorial it'll be rocking to Alice in Chains tunes.

0318_fountain_getty

Melinda says officials at Seattle Center offered to change the music for the memorial -- and adds Seattle Police are providing security, free of charge.

Starr was found dead earlier this month in Salt Lake City.

Melinda says some of Mike's old Alice in Chains mates will also be at the tribute -- which is open to the public and begins at 4:00 PM.

Linda

3 weeks on celebrity rehab wasnt enough for a addict like Mike. Methadone is really dangerous for a addict to try to control thats why they usually go into a clinic everyday a get their dose. He should have been under a addiction specialist Dr. care for months. I think C- rehab is not good enough for a hard core addict. He should have been inpatient for atleast 6 months . Its to bad when he was ready to get care the best treatment wasnt offered , instead they wanted him on a show. RIP Mike. Your battle is over

Christy

He was caught with Opana that he didn't have a prescription for so the poster who thinks he didn't "fully" relapsed.....he relapsed! And to "dub blu"...that was funny

Jen

I just hope the family doesn't read some of the cold and cruel hearted comments that some of you have plastered on the internet, regardless of how you felt about this man you should keep your negative feelings to yourself. Remember, KARMA is a bitch! This family is grief stricken enough.

Criss

As usual more hurtful comments from people who are obviously convinced that they're better than everyone.

MariaShev

I can not believe how purely rotten some of the comments are on here. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. I dont understand how some are so hateful...It must come from feeling inadequate...RIP Mike...Condolances to the family and this awful time...

jana

i feel for mike and his family

jana

im very sorry for the family and friends and for mike. im sure that he was a very lovey person. we all get mixed up in our lives...some of us come out out of it

jana

to mikes family....sorry is not enuf...he was a good man. alot of us are behind you and mike. you have support and good feelings always.

jana

nobody deserives to be dead.stop it

Denise

He was troubled now he is at peace. RIP Mike Srar

legend

RIP

Sensible Grandma

WHAT A SHAME. HE WAS A VERY TROUBLED PERSON, EVEN WHEN HE WAS ON CELEBRITY REHAB. HE SEEMED TO BE DOING SO WELL, BUT DEMON DRUGS WON OUT. REST IN PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manda

R.I.P. Mikey...may U B at peace now & rockin-out with Layne once-again. U R sorely missed by me. Love U forever Mike. Love, Manda

Manda

I found-out about AIC when this boy from High School asked me if I had ever heard of 'em & I said "no" so he lemme borrow his AIC CD "Alice In Chains: Nothing Safe: The Best Of The Box" & then very next day at school he asked me if I liked it & I told him that I freakin loved it...only then 2 B told by him that I could HAVE his CD...then...I saw Mike on Celebrity Rehab...I fell so in-love with him,..I wanted 2 be his friend & give him much love...then I hear about his passing through my boyfriend of 3 years, Ryan...& I haven't been quite the same since. R.I.P. Mike, may u B at rest, be in peace, & once-again rockin out with Layne. Forever missed but never forgotten. Love, Manda

Manda