Fake Canadian -- Worst Travel Tip Ever?

5/6/2011 1:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

One frosty-tipped TMZ staffer confesses he pretends to be Canadian when traveling abroad ... and all HELL breaks loose. Brace yourself for OUTRAGE and debate in the newsroom! 050511_TV_louis_still

Check out TMZ on TV -- click here to see your local listings!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

sonny

FIRST!

Carl

Anyone that doesn't get why needs to travel the world some, especially to non-European countries.

Bu

Team Dax

Jennifer

This is true, to a certain extent. Not everyone hates/dislikes Americans, but chances are if you say you're from another country besides the US, people will like you better and be nicer to you. When I went to London I didn't say I was American and no one was mean. Whenever I travel to Mexico, I get all kinds of dirty looks right before I get my passport stamped!

Ivana Tinkle

'What kind of douchebag pretends to be Canadian?''
Have you been overseas- especially Germany???
Crap, they HATE Americans!!! When I came back to the States, I put a little Canadian flag patch on my backpack to avoid the verbal crap and attitude! If I were douchy, I'd understand the snarkyness, but I was aware I was a guest in another country and was uber nice!
No probs in Italy or Austria, maybe it was a German thing? But I still travel with my pseudo-Canadian backpack. I call it travel insurance.

Heather

I agree with Dax! I've worked for the US Department of Defense and claiming to be Canadian has kept me from being assaulted more times than I can count. In countries like Germany, Sweden, Russia, and Egypt people have harassed me for being American...especially during the Bush years!

Cartman

People who would deny being American would deny their family and their religions and are not to be trusted.

Harvey you need to fire that stupid kid. He's untrustworthy.

A lot of really great people and soldiers have fought and died for the USA and you punks dishonor their sacrifice by being ashamed of your country. You don't deserve to live here.. leave, lots of others want to live here even if you don't.

God Bless America!

Ivana Tinkle

Cartman, obviously over-wanking and living in your parents basement has gotten to you. Go to bed, it's a school day tomorrow.

Hoopee

I've lived and worked all over the world. I've also traveled all over the world. In Europe if you are outside of the 'tourist' areas like London, Amsterdam, or the Greek Isles you can expect to be chastised for being American or even worse getting poor service and confrontations with foreigners. Most of the world does not appreciate the Imperialism of the USA and our forcing our values upon other countries via our military forces. Most Americans when traveling abroad seem to feel a sense of 'entitlement' as they're from the most powerful country in the world. Our American ethnocentric society seems to further that notion. If it happens outside of our borders we don't care about it, except for major, natural disasters. Foreign nationals don't appreciate that arrogance. During my visit to France in 2005 I actually had a restaurant ask me to leave when they found out I was an American. I have also encountered numerous confrontations on America's foreign policy, as if it were my own foreign policy while abroad. Saying you're from Canada doesn't elicit these kind of responses from foreign nationals. I was in northern England and waiting on a bus to return to London. By the time the bus arrived I had 4 people circled around me, screaming at me about 'my' country starting wars and drawing them into it as an ally and "Why the USA thinks they are the world police?" It's not a pleasant way to enjoy another culture. I have learned that in some cases saying you are from Canada is the easiest path to take and avoid those problems. Canada is viewed around the world as being a neutral country without a heavy handed foreign policy. You may not gain anymore respect than being from the USA, but you definitely aren't harassed like Americans are in many countries. Sure you can pretend that saying you're from the USA is patriotic, but in many situations overseas it just creates problems. When traveling from England to Italy our train went through Turkey. I got off the train and decided to stay one night in Turkey. Within 30 minutes I was back at the train station waiting to continue my trip after being harassed by one person from Turkey that attracted an entire group to gather around screaming obscenities at me. You can call it un-patriotic all you want, but I assure you that most Americans would readily declare they are from Canada to avoid those fights and threats.

Hoopee

@Cartman It's exactly the attitude you display in your postings that shows why Arrogant Americans (not all Americans) are disliked around the world.

And as far as leaving and going somewhere else...Can you name ONE (1) country that will allow Americans to immigrate into their country and work legally. There aren't any. The only way to way to emigrate to another country is if you have a special skill or talent, or you make a HUGE investment (usually over $100,000) in a business in that country. Canada will allow 'residency' if you are in certain professional careers, but other than that to work in another country you have to either (a) work for an American country or (b) prove that no one else in their country can perform the same job. Even if you find one of those scenarios, it's only a residence visa and is not you are only living there with no rights as a citizen. Otherwise you have to be someone like Madonna that buys multi-million dollar mansions and injects huge amounts of money into the local economy. Some countries like Costa Rica will allow retirees to live there as a resident but require proof of monthly income from your home country. Otherwise it's not happening.

So before your neck turns any redder, you might want to educate yourself on what you're talking about.

Cartman

I don't think any of you people dissing the USA have ever been out of the country. You talk a lot of nonsense.

I have traveled the world and have always been treated with the utmost of respect. But I act as a gentleman and, here's the surprising part, I am treated as one as well.

I have yet to meet the person in a foreign country who wasn't happy to take my money.

I guess it boils down to what sort of visitor you might be. And I wouldn't expect an American-hating American to act properly in public.

Linda

I am Australian and have traveled the world and in a lot of countries what Dax says is true. However, in the 13 years I have lived I have met a lot of Americans who have been to Australia (approximately 1 a week) and not once has anyone ever said they were treated badly there. In fact the first thing they say is how much they loved Australia because everyone is so polite and nice to them. I have also taken several American friends home with me and when we go out every falls all over themselves being nice to them. Not once has anyone said anything horrible to them. Maybe there are some people there that don't like Americans but I think they are rare and you would have to be unlucky to come across such a person.

Linda

I meant to say, "in the 13 years I have lived in America."

Jacqui

Linda,

I'm from Australia and I would have to say that Aussies don't hate Americans, we just don't want our government to turn Australia into a mini America. Nothing to do with individuals. More about politics and lifestyle.

Joe

If you don't act like an arse-hole, you will not be treated like one. We do have a bad reputation - in parts because many of us were not brought up properly, and act with an arrogant sense of entitlement.

When I deal with foreigners, both here and the US and abroad (usually be teleconference), I try to go out of my way to build rapport and let them see that most Americans have true values that should be admired.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments