Stephen Hawking Declares

'There Is No Heaven'

5/16/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Renowned scientist Stephen Hawking doesn't want to rain on your parade or anything -- but he'd like you to know there is no such thing as heaven when you die. Debbie Downer!

0516_steven_hawking_heaven_TMZ_composite_2
In an interview with the Guardian, Hawking explained, "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

If there is no heaven ... how does he explain bacon, Bar Refaeli, and the iPad?

Superman

Old news. Most everyone knew he was an atheist. Yeah, funny how he can't explain how the universe was formed from nothing, but yet he definitely knows that there is no God. In the end with all his knowledge of science and math, he's really a dumbass!

caroline

Stephen Hawking is an atheist and a scientist. Is this news to anyone? Maybe just the ignorant. I have read him saying this and similar things for years, and I'm still young!

the soul is pure energy? obviously you guys don't know what energy is. you trying to define this imaginary thing (that defies laws of physics, logic, biology and history) is so sad.

and you act like you want Hawking to prove this or that... read his books! and then, attempt to prove that your god DOES exist. hahahahaha

Woot

Agnosticism is the only truth. Until you've died, you can't know, no matter how much some people claim to.

Ron Paul

He'll get what he believes. As for me I am waiting for my afterlife because I believe it will come.

Leigh

I used to think this guy was a genius, not anymore with those kind of comments.

Samuel Smithers

I bet in heaven Harvey is singing 24/7.

bill

As the saying goes, If there is no heaven and hell and we just die, oh well. But if there are the two and you end up with the latter, wow youre fu**ed. Ill take my chances that there are the two.

tomas

Who's going to believe a cripple?

dee

Six weeks ago, I went into full cardiac arrest and was clinically dead for a few minutes. There is an after life.

jammer

Wow! The poll shows 31% don't think there is an afterlife. That's about 3100 people out of the 10000 that responded.

Jeff

I was so glad to see that such a brilliant man has come to the correct conclusion that there's no fantasy heaven or afterlife... yet I'm so disgusted (and not shocked) by the amount of retards who are still so primitive and ignorant that they do believe in "heaven" and an afterlife and "God".
Misguided ignorant fools. Honestly, you have to be very ignorant and unaware of reality to believe in fantasies/fairy tales.

Name:

The stairway to heaven means its not handicapped accessible.

nocureforstupid

Religion was put in place to keep people and the world under control. If people didn't think that one day when they perish they will be reunited with their loved ones people would go ape **** and this world would be even more HORRIBLE. Unfortunatley people really believe that and will be let down when they realize they will just die and rot in the ground til nothing is left...So go ahead and feel bad for me because I don't believe in GOD and I too will feel sorry for your lack of intelligence and having the wool blindly pulled over your eyes like the sheep that you are!

Bromsnor

Why would nature (as we are childs of nature) provide us human beings with an afterlife? Why can't we be satisfied with the fact that we have a contemporary state of consciousness: an extraordinary exception to an eternal and timeless not being.

Superman

Woot less than a minute ago

--------------------

Wrong. The Lord isn't someone who stands idly at a distant. You have to seek him out....believe in Jesus, have faith, have hope, have love. God verbally spoke to me once, so I personally have no excuse, but to believe. There are still periods in my life that it feels God is distant and then there are some when I feel him very close. And at this point in my life, I can feel him very close like he's about to do something wonderful for me.