Stephen Hawking Declares

'There Is No Heaven'

5/16/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Renowned scientist Stephen Hawking doesn't want to rain on your parade or anything -- but he'd like you to know there is no such thing as heaven when you die. Debbie Downer!

0516_steven_hawking_heaven_TMZ_composite_2
In an interview with the Guardian, Hawking explained, "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

If there is no heaven ... how does he explain bacon, Bar Refaeli, and the iPad?

J

I find it puzzling that people believe definitively in either direction. Prove to me it exists. Prove to me it does not.

Until then I am a happily on-the-fence Agnostic who likes to consider all possibilities.

CHRISTINE

this view, coming from a scientist, can only be his THEORY/OPINION since what he says he has no proof of, either validating his statement or disproving it. alas, even for the genius of his computer-like mind, it is only his opinion. as far as I know, computers are not able to give opinions, only humans do.

verydeep1

yes there is a heaven and you say aliens will attack us,that they are not friendly..you are wrong Stephen Hawking !!!They will never hurt,they have lived on earth and died by people who murdered them and they touch some1 on earth to help them get the 1 that murdered them.They are choosen 1s.And the choosen 1s are given strength and a powerful gift to get justice for them.God has formed the aliens ,they carry a very deep deep feeling to the grave with them to get these people that did it to them.LOL..this is how i see it.

RL

you can not use a human brain to study the human brain, thus the rate limiting step. so we can't use our natural things to study or explain supernatural things. stephen hawkings is smart, but he is human and he can't explain or prove spontaneous generation of amoebas or life without an outside source creating it; scientists have tried but have been unsuccessful!

MMSands

Ridicule is a last refuge for those who bring nothing to the table themselves. I see some Marx parrots have been by, but to parrot someone else is simply an indicator of someone who has no thoughts of their own.

For those who claim to know what's behind religious belief ... glad to know you were there at the beginning of it all. (If you weren't there, then you can hardly speak to the intentions of those who were.)

Same goes for those who claim to have the answers: it was, after all, scientific fact that the world was flat until we found out otherwise. Glad to know there's nothing more left to learn about the universe, Mr. Hawking, and that you and you alone (well, you and Kim, anyway) have all the knowledge there is to be had.

MMSands

Is it just me, or does the idea that the human brain is somehow capable of grasping the whole of the universe sound suspiciously like the idea that the earth is at the center of the universe? Burn them anti-science heretics at the stake for their arrogance, I say...

confused in k-town

>>Have you ever gone through the worm holes to other galaxies/realms? Like the one's in the movie, "Contact" with Jodie Foster. I have, so I am curious if others have done so or have attempted it.<<

Hey Cinderf*ckinrella, I've never been through a wormhole. How does one find a wormhole?? Sounds cool though and I'd definately like to try. Done the light speed thing where the stars are just streaks of light. That was a blast. Have you been to the moon?

ME

guess the worms.magets are going to eat at his flesh Then.

American Mom

You can hear and see and feel the wind, but you do not know where it comes from or where it is going to. You may not understand how and why the wind blows; but you can see what it does. There are many things about the wind you may not understand; but it's effect is plain for all to see. The Spirit is exactly the same. You may not know how the Spirit works; but you can see the effect of the Spirit in human lives. Cast away all your trangressions, which you have committed against Jesus and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit.

Linda

Stephen Hawking is a human being with an opinion. He's not forcing you to believe what he believes, he's just expressing himself, letting his thoughts be known. It's not the first time, and hopefully it won't be the last. Do I agree with him? No. But I'm not going to hate him because he doesn't think the same way I do. Nor am I going to belittle him with unkind words. I read in one previous comment someone called him a cripple, in another someone called him a gimp...was this fair? He has ALS, aka Lou Gehrig's Disease. He can't help that he can't walk, talk, move - the disease is killing him physically, not mentally. Why is it that if you don't agree with someone, people have to degrade the one they don't agree with? Sad but true...

John

what a idiot....Steven Hawking is

jacqueline

Debbiedoesnothing had the best response so far, catster too, and I completely agree with you/them. I have admired and probably will continue to admire Steven Hawking, but with so much data at his disposal and his genius level understanding of physics I can't understand how he has come to this conclusion. Okay, don't call it heaven, alienate and hurt all Christian based religions, but don't say there isn't any kind of afterlife, what about reincarnation, parallel universes and/or dimensions, alternate realities or dimensions. Nay say I Mr. Hawkins, and why pick on Christians, what did they ever do to you?

I've had way too many amazing experiences in my life, and spoken with people I trust implicitly who told me detailed first-person accounts of experiences they've had, for it all to boil down to, "Our brains are simply computers that work for a time and then come to a complete and total end". And that's why I dig Debbie's response.

I'll look into this more because without meaning any disrespect to whoever sourced and posted this wee tidbit of info, this is TMZ after all, and there has got to be more to this story. Oh and BTW I am an extremely normal, fairly bright, (Qualified for Mensa,) Mother o' one, I was raised Catholic, attended Catholic schools until college, but even though I still hold a great fondness for the dear Sisters who provided my terrific education and instilled such a deep sense of charity and empathy in me, having undergone a past life regression session for fun and debunking witha PHD Psychologist -- one of the many producers of content for the Public Access Channel I managed many years ago, (I was completely skeptical, certain all of the people he brought in for his shows were lying, I merely did this to appease this man, while knowing he wouldn't be able to fool me, instead I experienced an extremely vivid and detailed past life recall/regression of my own that I simply could not have made up, and that has changed my life and helped me understand why our minds are wiped clean just so we won't carry all of this baggage around and waste so much of a precious lifetime mired in the past -- why would I do that anyway considering my goal was to debunk the whole thing?), I'm a big believer in reincarnation. I've also experienced three other pretty amazing things that I simply can't explain or dismiss. So despite the fact that I admire Steven Hawking very much, I'm pretty disappointed that he has thrown in with the likes of the guy who I refuse to listen to on Coast to Coast, (Art Bell's old radio show), anymore, the one who spends hours trying to get us to believe that our brains contain a God particle, some part of the mind that releases chemical compounds that create a need for us to manifest a belief in God and that also creates all of the many life after death experiences that countless people, including so many children, have had.

Maybe I should have saved you all a lot of reading and said, "What a load of crap," and "What a pity," and left it at that... All I can say is that no one can shake my faith. I was lucky to have been graced with this belief in a kind and loving God as each and every religion chooses to define her or him, and that there are mysteries so profound that our small and hardly used minds cannot even begin to fathom, not even the mind of someone as learned and special as Mr. Hawking's.

Bill oReilly

i believe the same thing. You believe in heaven because you want to follow the fairy tale. If there is a God, he sucks at his job, simple as that.

Andrew

Stupid Ignorant religous people. If you want to spare future generations suffering pain, wars, starvation, illness and poor relations between people - get educated!. Base your knowledge on facts and understanding of the ever changing proven truths of science and ENGINEERING - not fairy tales.

Kids who have imaginary friends are going through a phase.. Adults with imaginary friends are religous. No good will EVER come from believing in fairy tales. Except for blokes who wear dresses will get rich from you, and touch up your kids when your not looking..

Mirosa

Kim I think your lip gloss is smeared....bye.

Previous 15 Comments | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments