Mekhi Phifer

THE BRIGHT SIDE OF

GLOW-IN-THE-DARK DOGS

7/29/2011 5:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

072811_TV_oprah_v2_still

Mehki Phifer has no interest in genetically-altered glow-in-the-dark dogs (seriously, that's a real thing) -- but maybe he doesn't realize how USEFUL they are! Allow us to 'splain!

Check out TMZ on TV -- click here to see your local listings!

some guy

I was gonna make a crack about how Koreans eat dogs, but it's too easy.

cake

Guessing there have not been decades of studies done to ensure this 'day-glo' doggie fad is harmless to the dogs - short term, long term and or possible negative genetic problems in future offspring.

Dogs (or ANY animal dependent on a human) are not fashion accessories, nor are they disposable if/when they no longer fit in a purse, bark too much or pee on the piano bench.

People, not dogs are the ones who need training...

harrym63

I try to watch TMZ whenever I can. What's up with that guy in the back with bad teeth? He is making bad jokes all the time and after he makes a joke he looks around the room to make sure everyone is laughing... at the same time showing all his bad teeth... He is definitely an attention whore... a bad one that is. No I am not talking about the ginger. The one standing right next to him. Gosh... can you put a duct tape on his mouth and maybe cover his face?

Trish

I want one. That is all.

Solventfree

Actually this is very common to make mice, rats etc. glow to find out about the effects of different genes. However, these animals don't get old and have many problems with their brain function (walk in circles all the time etc.). It is sad to know how much these animals suffer.

Chris

What's the deal with blacks and dogs?

some guy

There's still no cure for leukemia or muscular dystrophy, but I'm glad I'll be able to walk my dog at night without needing a flashlight.
Good job, scientists! What's next? Cats that play keyboards? Oh wait, already done.

rotti

By the way your new format sucks....just saying

rotti

TMZ get a life

killykilly

For Harvey being a vegetarian he sure seemed unphased at the fact these animals are being used for research. I think these animals will suffer immensely. A very sad story IMHO. I thought of this tonight when I saw video of Harvey on vacation extolling the wonders of the emotions of sheep.