AMY WINEHOUSE

IN THE PROCESS OF ADOPTING

A GIRL BEFORE DEATH

7/31/2011 7:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Adoption
Amy Winehouse was preparing to adopt a 10-year-old girl from the island of St. Lucia, the girl and her grandmother told a British paper today.

The girl -- Dannika Augustine (seen above with Amy) -- says she met the singer during one of Amy's visits to the island over the past few years. She says she was living in poverty with her single mom when Amy took an interest in her.

Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "Amy was already my mother. I would call her mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me and we had fun together. I loved her and she loved me ... She was the most amazing person and I was looking forward to living with her here or in London. I cannot believe she is gone. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

Dannika's grandmother Marjorie says she spoke to Amy a few weeks ago and that Amy planned to return to St. Lucia next month. She told the paper, "Amy wanted to have a child so bad. If she had not died, there is no doubt she would be here in St Lucia completing the adoption process. There is no way she would have done what she did to herself if Dannika was with her."

Both of Dannika's parents had signed off on the adoption.

inga

Get that stank of my screen!
I am sorry to say she is dead!
So that pretty little girl does not have to live with her!
And had to live under those drug and drunken cir****tances

You Mamma

Please tell me there are at least some conditions for those interested in adopting-- for the sake of the adopted!

Loraine Gonzales

How were they going to allow a drug addict and alcoholic adopt a child? I don't think this is true and if it is then why not give kids to Lindsay Lohan, and prison inmates??

terri

I'm sure she would've been a real June Cleaver. Mother of the Year material. That girl is better off motherless.

Lorrie

The picture is obviously photoshopped.

AB

no WAY that adoption would have been approved.

Carl

Honestly, in the long run this is the best for that girl. Being raised by a drug addict mother would be worse than being raised in poverty.

Kelly

Divine intervention for Dannika Augustine:
Life with a self destructive drug addict is not a positive way to be lifted out of poverty, your just trading one kind of hardship & burden for another.

If true, What kind of parents would sign off their child to such an obvious disaster as Amy was even to the most uneducated eye.

Chun LI

Sorry but Amy couldn't take care of herself let alone a child.

Bubbles The Chimp

Crackheads always make good parents.

Cleveland Gal

Never understood how some parents could just sign off on their children ! If you don't have enough money to support children then don't have them and if you do already have them work a little harder to support them but, don't give them away like they are nothing.

yadda yadda

sorry to sound mean but I guess her death was a blessing in disguise.

some guy

Ok... so i guess all those celebrities who say having children changed their lives were just kidding.
Guess everyone has a crystal ball and can see into the future. Guess all the people related to the child were only kidding when they said that Amy was drug-free while she was in St. Lucia and around this child.
Maybe you all should live like someone in poverty for a week. See what it feels like. The relatives of this child only wanted her to have a better life. How would you like it if you didn't go to a single day of school? Actually, from some of these posts, I'm guessing some of you haven't gone to a single day of school.

tony gee

You people are to talk. They have not concluded Amy's cause of death yet and I do believe she was trying to quit drugs and the sudden withdrawal may have caused her bodily function some shock due to chemical/ or drug dependency. Detoxification means to taper you off from it but cold turkey wasn't the best solution for her as to what had happened. Go ahead and condemn me you morons who could not even spell a word!

Mike

How in the hell does an alcoholic and drug addict who can't talk coherently or stand up straight get approved for adoption?