AMY WINEHOUSE

IN THE PROCESS OF ADOPTING

A GIRL BEFORE DEATH

7/31/2011 7:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Adoption
Amy Winehouse was preparing to adopt a 10-year-old girl from the island of St. Lucia, the girl and her grandmother told a British paper today.

The girl -- Dannika Augustine (seen above with Amy) -- says she met the singer during one of Amy's visits to the island over the past few years. She says she was living in poverty with her single mom when Amy took an interest in her.

Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "Amy was already my mother. I would call her mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me and we had fun together. I loved her and she loved me ... She was the most amazing person and I was looking forward to living with her here or in London. I cannot believe she is gone. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

Dannika's grandmother Marjorie says she spoke to Amy a few weeks ago and that Amy planned to return to St. Lucia next month. She told the paper, "Amy wanted to have a child so bad. If she had not died, there is no doubt she would be here in St Lucia completing the adoption process. There is no way she would have done what she did to herself if Dannika was with her."

Both of Dannika's parents had signed off on the adoption.

sak01

I'm calling B.S....Somebody just wants some $$$

Home Skillet

Not buying it. I call bull****.

wow

No doubt this child really liked Amy but she had a mother and grandmother. It's difficult to believe she loved her as a mother and called her mom. It does sound scripted and if the mom and grandmother had the child play up to Amy in this way it was just wrong.
Children her age are vulnerable to anyone who's kind and gives them attention. In my profession, children have told me they loved me, drew me pictures and gave little gifts. It's sad if her mother and grandmother took advantage of both Amy and the little child when they were both vulnerable.
The island of St. Lucia is beautiful and there's poverty but it's not comparable to Africa. These two adults could take care of the child to the best of their ability rather than giving her away, especially to a woman with serious substance abuse problems. Amy could've helped them financially without adopting. If this story's true, they obviously cared more about themselves than the child. Makes you wonder how much they got selling their story to The Sunday Mirror.

She's baaaack

You can spin all the lollipops, rainbows, and puppies you want about the "what if's" of her actually becoming the mother of a child. Her demons were too large. She was doomed. It was inevitable. A child would not have saved a damn thing about her. Had she been that child's adoptive mother, chances are the child would have ended up finding her dead body ... that is if the child was even with her. Give it up people. This poor woman's demise was written in stone years ago.

Empty reason

So the ugly junkie was going to buy a kid - just like other rich Americans. So what? Apparently its chic for rich white people to buy poor black people. The free PR they get is worth it!

She's baaaack

Ummm .. excuse me @EmptyReason ... Ms Winehouse was a Brit

some guy

Ehhh... who cares. Amy's dead and she'll never get a chance to adopt. Hope this kid has a good life.

Gaylord

Sorry, I don't get it. All the celebs adopting foreign children when there are so many children right here in the US who would like nothing better than to be adopted. Do the celebs think that adopting a foreign child gives them higher ratings in the world of the rich and famous???

That makes no more sense to me than the US giving the most foreign aid to the countries who publicly state they want to do us the most harm.

What ever happened to "charity begins at home?"

Superman

Sounds like BS to me. Nonetheless, people with the morals of Winehouse should not have kids.

Rob Base

This girl should play the lotto because she is the luckiest girl in the world. Im glad the whino is dead.

Sharon

Would any reputable agency have allowed an alcoholic, drug addicted, openly troubled single woman to adopt this child?

Bruno

Bull.

britney

Oh my God how could this Danikka girl abandon her biological mother and go live with a new mother for a better life? You don't abandon your mother for nothing in this world. How could she even call someone else "mum"?
Jesus!!

Woot

What a bunch of BS. This is SO absurd, I can't believe a single person with 2 brain cells to rub together would buy this.

Sandra

Amy was not mother material and i suggest the girl dodged a bullet!!