Nick Ashford

'Solid as a Rock' Singer

Dead at 70

8/23/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0823_nick_ashford_BN2

Motown legend Nickolas Ashford -- part of the singer-songwriter duo Ashford and Simpson -- who penned several iconic hits, including "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" -- died yesterday after a battle with throat cancer.

In addition to "Ain't No Mountain", Ashford co-wrote several songs with his wife Valerie Simpson -- including, "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing", "Solid (As a Rock)," "Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand)" and "I'm Every Woman."

The Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted Ashford and Simpson in 2002 -- calling them "one of the most prolific and versatile musical couples in recording history."

Ashford was 70.

This Just in

Amazing talent... Sing a tune or two for my mom in heaven..Rest in peace Sir...

Glory Bee

All things, and people, must pass it's true. But this man left a large mark on the music industry and I am but one of the millions whose life was enriched by his musical legacy. Thankk you for some of the best tunes ever.

McG

Life wouldn't be as fun/meaningful without some of those wonderful songs. Praying for family and friends as they mourn this painful loss.

Nancy

Ashford & Simpson have been my favorite singers for most of my adult life. I was so sorry to hear of Nick's passing. RIP Nick - you will be missed so very much.

fstblk

Thanks Nick for the music!!! Rest in Peace.

northern gypsy

i've always enjoyed this talented couple positive messages...
condolences to his close friends and family...

Enigma

Great music. Bless you and your family.

* So rare to hear of a man so talented, with a family, and wife for so many years.

Cheryl A.

Thank you Mr. Nick for sharing your wonderous talent with us. Rest in Peace.

Gatanegra

Another great musical talent gone. RIP Mr. Ashford.

cjs

Amazing songwriter, may he rest well. My sympathies to his family.

I couldn't read it without singing along to the titles.

eyecandy

Another piece of my childhood gone but not ever forgotten. I've Loved their music since I was old enough to know who Ashford & Simpson were. Thanks Mr. Ashford for the wonderful music & memories. R.I.P

snowcat

RIP Mr Ashford.You and your wife wrote some the the most amazing songs in music history.Your talent will be missed but will live on in your beautiful songs.My deepest sympathy to Ms Simpson,family and friends.

hotbitch

R.I.P. Ashford & Simpson are responsible for some of the greatest songs of our time.

HumanNature

What an AMAZING VOICE along with his beautiful wife.

He was a truly TRAILBLAZER OF SMOOTH R&B!!!

R.I.P

Nickolas Ashford

Kitty Angel

Rest in Peace Mr. Ashford ... thanks for your contributions to the music!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments