Rep. Gabrielle Giffords

AZ GOP Auctions Gun Like

The One Used to Shoot Her

9/3/2011 6:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0903_gabrielle_gifford_jan_BN
So far ... this wins craziest story of the weekend ....The Republican Party in Pima County, AZ is raffling off a gun almost identical to the one used to shoot the Congresswoman in that very same county ... Gabrielle Giffords.

The online newsletter (see below) went out last Friday and features on page 3 a chance to win "a Glock 23 .40 handgun for just 10 bucks." But hang on -- if your name is drawn, you don't just win the gun ... you get "three 12-round magazines, adjustable grips, and a case."

0903_gabrielle_gifford_tall_sub

A Glock 19 handgun was allegedly used by Jared Loughner in an attack on January 8, 2011 that injured 13 (including Rep. Giffords) and killed six.

Michael McNulty, Giffords' campaign manager, told the Arizona Republic he was "struggling for the words to describe my reaction" to the raffle.

The interim chairman of the Pima County GOP told the paper he was surprised at the reaction, saying Rep. Giffords owned a Glock herself and was an outspoken supporter of the Second Amendment. He explained, "That Glock is no more responsible for those deaths and the congresswoman's injuries than a Number 2 pencil is responsible for cheating on a test."

Translation -- guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Real translation -- This guy doesn't have a clue.

update_bar
Interim Chairman Mike Shaw told the Arizona Daily Star that the raffle went so well ... they sold a deer rifle too. U-S-A!!!

DontTreadOnMe

Hey TMZ a-holes...there have been several murders with knives, axes, cars, poison, attack dogs, medication, rope..etc..and all were controlled and used by people you dumb fcks. I hate liberal cry babies. Take away guns and people will use the above mentioned methods. People kill. But to all you liberals (tmz), Id like you to please discard all your kitchen knives, axes,medications, pet dogs, any rope you may use,any poison you have for insects and your cars. That way you wont be in possession of any murder weapons. You people make me sick. Funny thing is, if someone was chasing your liberal ass with a knife down the street and I was there with my gun, I bet all of you liberals would beg and scream for me to shoot the s.o.b between the eyes to save your gun hating ass. Get a clue people.

Josh (Republican) and damn proud of it.

rini6

Guns don't kill people.

People kill people..... with guns.

The Neko Nation

Regardless of what your political affiliation is, it is just sad that people condone and encourage others to kill are harm people because they don't agree with them. This just a disgusting act by sub humans.

Amandanonymous

Don't people need background checks to buy guns? It's one thing to raffle off tickets to a chili dinner or to win a pogo stick or something, but a gun? Wow.

Evil Jon

TeamNadya, citizens carrying guns is not a perfect solution but it is the best one. Violence will always exist and guns are the equalizer. Everyone should take the responsibility to protect themselves. A few accidents will happen and the negligent ones should be prosecuted. I'm curious what your opinion on cops carrying guns? Because they mistakenly shoot innocent people all the time.

Evil Jon

Amandanonymous, as I commented before, usually raffles like this go through a gun shop as a middleman for the paperwork/background check.

ENC

Your real translation: Real Translation - This guy doesn't have a clue. Does not, in fact, have a clue! Gifford supported gun RIGHTS!
Why do you insist "there 'aught to be a law! against that." mentality? Why do you want to strip yourselves of your own rights? There are thousands of gun control laws in the United States. How many laws prevent you from voting? Is it not another right to be deprived of? Don't cut your own throat.

DontTreadOnMe

I have my concealed permit and my gun is on my side everywhere I go and if I would have been there the day this idiot started shooting people and I would have killed him before all those poor people got killed and injured I would have been a hero...but on this gay loving, tree hugging, anti gun web site..im the bad guy. but if i did guys in the butt and hated guns, id be numero uno around here. wow...our country is going to crap and its happeing fast..

Ginny

Not the same gun. this story is a reach trying to stick it to the GOP. It is story's like this that give the media a bad name.

ryan

this glock is also very similar to the one she has been reported to own. OHNOBANBANBAN

maynerd

Nothing rong with owneing a gun! I lov e guns and I bought a mossberg at BIG 5 for 200 bucks and its great and I love america so much i sent my cousin in IRAQ a deflated balloon!

Thomas

SO WHAT! Where is the story? It's the gun's fault right? No not even that. It's just the left and the media creating news where there isn't any and playing dirty politics. ********!

Steve

Just another BS story by leftwinger idiots at TMZ."Translation" = Hollywood A-holes want the USA to be unarmed, gay, and kissing obama's ass.Sorry....drive out of L.A. 100 miles and see America.

David

A glock 23 is not the same as a glock 19...come on! 40 vs 9mm...like saying a chevy malibu ran over someone, we're giving away a chevy suburban...not the same thing

Common Sense

Same brand of gun not MODEL. Good reporting there TMZ.