'Spartacus' Star Andy Whitfield

Dead at 39

9/12/2011 5:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_andy_whitfield_getty_bn
Andy Whitfield -- who left the show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma -- died today in Sydney, Australia. He was 39.

Whitfield's wife issued a statement, saying her husband died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife."

Chris Albrecht, President and CEO of Starz (which aired "Spartacus"), released a statement saying, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield. We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."

0912_andy_whitfield_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Xarexx

noooooooo you shall be missed Spartacus

JayLyn

I am so sorry to his wife and family for having to watch him suffer. May they be able to find peace now that his suffering is over. Such a sad story.

DeeWA2010

SO SAD... God needs him in heaven. My son is there too. RIP and prayers to his loved ones.

Home Skillet

Very sorry to hear this - RIP, Andy, and peace to his family and friends.

Chuck Zuber

Terrible news. As a survivor myself, and a big fan of the Spartacus series, I am a big fan of Andy's. My deepest sympathies to his wife and family. Very Sad day indeed all the way around.
xZx

vixis

Mr. Whitfield was one of those great actors and a rare find, a shame his life was taken at a young age. My prayers to his wife and family.

PRO US

Very sad to hear that. Condolences to the family.

noel

nobody knows who this poor man is. stop with the sensationlism. It just makes your day when someone dies, doesn't it.

K

My prayers go out to his family. So tragic. Loved himas Spartacus. He will be missed.

jim

An amazing actor... ...his performance as Spartacus will live on!! RIP Andy.

TMZebra

He was an amazing actor, one I was hoping to see in more shows and and hopefully movies in the future. He will be missed.

Tom C.

How can he be 39 if he was born in 1974?

Criss

That's a shame that he went at such a young age. RIP.

Rob

Rest In Peace Mr. Whitfield. I'll admit, Spartacus was never the greatest show, but he breathed life into that character, and made us believe in him, and his cause. Great job by him, and I'm not just saying that cause Mr. Whitfield died. I truly do believe he had a great performance on that show, and he'll be remembered not only for his contributions to the show but most importantly, his contributions in real life towards his family, and friends. R.I.P. Andy Whitfield. Died too damn young.

Doug

Andy, RIP, dear man. I'm deeply sorry to learn you're gone. Your talent will be missed by those of us who knew you as an actor. More important by far, your presence will be missed by your family. May peace find them during the coming days and years.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments