'Spartacus' Star Andy Whitfield

Dead at 39

9/12/2011 5:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_andy_whitfield_getty_bn
Andy Whitfield -- who left the show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma -- died today in Sydney, Australia. He was 39.

Whitfield's wife issued a statement, saying her husband died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife."

Chris Albrecht, President and CEO of Starz (which aired "Spartacus"), released a statement saying, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield. We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."

0912_andy_whitfield_footer

fluflanna

My dad passed away from non-hodgkin lymphoma at the age of 57...I thought that was young. Saying lots of prayers for this family right now!!!

Jake

RIP - condolences to family and friends.

samrd

Soo sad. I didn't know his health had gotten that bad. He was a great actor in Spartacus and seemed like a good guy. So young too.

Rest in peace!

wicked

This is so sad. He made Spartacus what it is today and he's the reason I'm a fan of the show. I was so hoping he would return. He was the perfect Spartacus.

Fay

((Sobs sobs sobs)) I loved Spartacus as Andy Whitfield. I will still never understand why we are cursed with such emotional pains! My heart goes out to his dear wife & family. May Andy's soul rest in eternal peace. I love you & will never forget u ((crying))

Jen

Rest in Peace

Fay

Detroit

Stop wasting money on unwinnable wars and dedicate it to stopping these terrible diseases.
Condolences to the family.

george hauersperger

The family is in my thoughts and prayers. R.I.P Andy.

JLo on Steroids

Jupitors kok

lulu's mommy

Tears of pain fall for you today. G-d less you and deepest sympathies to your family and love ones. R.I.P friend

Ruud

Very Bad News...
Condolences to his family.

R.I.P

bendetta

damn that sucks. i was soooo hoping andy would get better, rip brother.condolences to his family,he will be missed...

arkeah

Damn rip :/ I love the series spartacus. Best show i've EVER watched. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family

Hiro Takeuchi

We feel so bad for his family but we will miss you so much in Spartacus... From Peru, rest in peace Andy...