'Spartacus' Star Andy Whitfield

Dead at 39

9/12/2011 5:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_andy_whitfield_getty_bn
Andy Whitfield -- who left the show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma -- died today in Sydney, Australia. He was 39.

Whitfield's wife issued a statement, saying her husband died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife."

Chris Albrecht, President and CEO of Starz (which aired "Spartacus"), released a statement saying, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield. We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."

0912_andy_whitfield_footer

Jo

R.I.P. far too young to die!
GOD BLESS you and your family!

Kaz

My sincerest condolences to Andy's family and friends. Andy, thank you so much for sharing your talent. I am so sad to hear of your passing.. RIP xoxo

Lin

My condolences to Andy's family and friends.Your talent and beautiful smile will be missed.. Rest in Peace....

Miz Val

Such a beautiful talented man . He will be missed.

catherin

siento mucho la muerte de Andy actuaba buenisimo en las película
tu fans numero 1 siempre estaras nuestro corazones toda tu fans siempre te vamos recordar como tu eres guerrero héroes y ballata que lucho por su familia esposa hijo hermanos y amigos amigas

DivineLove

It's undeliverable!,that young Andy is dead!
God please accept his Soul in heaven.I like the way Spartacus fought in the Arena, I will never forget that.May God give his family the heart to bear his lost.Spartacus lives on in my memories.

Simp02

Truly sad to hear this news. God Bless him and his family.

Robert

sometimes Death is better instead of the suffering we go through. I sure God has a place for him he was only 39 you will be missed Deeply by you,re fan ME...

Richie Dolan

What kind of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma did he have?? There are so many. It's almost as general as saying he died of cancer.

DivineLove

This incredible!, that the man that acts Spartacus is dead!, and at a very young age, why?. Oh my God, what a world.Spartacus fought bravery, I am gonna missed him. Spartacus lives on in my memories. May God accept his soul in heaven Amen.

Cathy

My sympathy goes out to your family. Although not as well known as some in Hollywood, he was a great actor. He portrayed the role as Sparticus with passion. There will never be a replacement for that!! God Bless

Tim

Andy will be missed. He was a great actor. My condolences to his family.

Kim

I love him!!!!
I'll love him forever.
Spartacus...
Have a good time in heaven.

papajohncutter

the gods came down to one. one man with many talents, friends and family and one God. it's times like these that i let all my questions and doubts come out as i sit looking at the mountains i'm sure Andy would have loved to see. i live with my saddness.

melissa

I lost my mother to non hodgkin's lymphoma when she was 47 after going into remission, and it coming back. It was hard to lose her when I was 18...17 years ago. I feel for Andy's family, and so sorry for his loss. He was awesome in Spartacus, and I pray for his family.