'Spartacus' Star Andy Whitfield

Dead at 39

9/12/2011 5:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_andy_whitfield_getty_bn
Andy Whitfield -- who left the show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma -- died today in Sydney, Australia. He was 39.

Whitfield's wife issued a statement, saying her husband died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife."

Chris Albrecht, President and CEO of Starz (which aired "Spartacus"), released a statement saying, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield. We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."

0912_andy_whitfield_footer

Denise

Incredibly sad. A talented and humble man. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. He will always be The Spartacus.

T

I too lost my 37 yr. old husband to non-hodgkin's lymphoma 2 months ago. I am so sorry for the family's loss as I know how unbearable it is. We've got to find a cure for this awful disease!

Stephanie

Too young to die...rest in peace sweet child of the universe <3

Yasmin

This is awfull. Spartacus will not be the same without him. He was too young, handsome and had a great career ahead of him. This is a devasting loss. Best wishes to his family.

laura

Andy was Spartacus, I don't know how well the show will fare with out it's head leader. 39 he was much too young to die, he did everything right and yet in the end it was all in vain because his number had been called. It was just his time to go.
Andy Whitefield I loved your work and you will be missed. Much blessings to your wife and family. _"_

gil

God Bless.

Yessy

RIP Andy, you will be missed, Condolences to the family.

Spartacus

jupiters ****! :(

ıspartaya küstü

üşüyoruz spartaküssss !

ekşi ve uludağlı piçlere selam, pompaya devam

Rachel

God bless you, Andy. You will be missed.

DanaR

I Just heard the news about Andy Whitfields death just a few mins ago and i am shocked! He was a great actor and seemed to be a wonderful person. RIP Andy....you will be missed by many!!!

mike

The worst news ever. A man that will truly be nmissed and always in our hearts.

renae

I'm so sad for his family and him. I was just thinking about him two days ago. Losing someone is tragic, watching someone you love die is extremely difficult,especially when there is nothing you can do to remedy the situation. R.I.P

omg

i hope Andy Whitfield My prayers will go to his
family R.I.P australia will miss you

copoo0