'Spartacus' Star Andy Whitfield

Dead at 39

9/12/2011 5:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_andy_whitfield_getty_bn
Andy Whitfield -- who left the show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma -- died today in Sydney, Australia. He was 39.

Whitfield's wife issued a statement, saying her husband died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife."

Chris Albrecht, President and CEO of Starz (which aired "Spartacus"), released a statement saying, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield. We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."

0912_andy_whitfield_footer

ray

RIP, you will always be "Spartacus". My heart goes out to his love ones.

Chuck

Tragic. Andy was amazing in that role. I wish all TV shows were this good! RIP.

tiffany

My deepest sadness for his wife and family,he was such a good actor and had a promising future in acting. I will be praying for his loved ones.

Clark

I got hooked on Spartacus and was mainly due to his presence on the screen. Was a great actor. I kept hoping he could come back. He will be missed. RIP

w

Wow, Im so sorry to Whittfeild's family, big fan of the show and a bigger fan of his, he was the reason I tuned in what an amazing actor. God Bless you Andy, R.I.P and God bless your wife, family and friends.

Ih8Taxes

He was a great actor in the Spartacus series. I was really looking forward to seeing him in the second season. I'm sad now.

mid

Peace to the family. That's way too young.

Philly_Special

In Andy's short time on earth, he did great things and accomplished more than many will in their lives. My prayers go out to his family. Rest in Peace, Andy.

Pittsburgh Storm

Unreal. He will be missed for sure. He was amazing and made that series. He cannot be replaced. The show won't be the same. I was waiting for him to recover. So young! Our prayers are with his family. RIP Spartacus...

sj28

james dean,bruce lee,steve mcqueen and now andy whitfield. only the good die young.peace.

Obsessed

So sad :(

HeatherS

Wikipedia and IMDB has him listed as born in 1974, which would make him 37, not 39, just FYI.

Miva

-He was a warrior, RIP Dear Friend, Found some great Pics and info about his beloved wife Vashti Here http://fandaily.info/?p=2548

Sherms

Yet another sign that cancer does not discriminate. So sorry to read this...

Dragonlady

Everyone is reporting he was 39 but he was born is 74 so he was 37..if you wanna report such a serious event atleast get the facts straight. RIP you will be missed.