"The X Factor"

Half the Show Of "Idol"

9/22/2011 8:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0922_xfactor-BN
The big "X Factor" premiere last night fell way short of Simon Cowell's expectations -- earning just over half the ratings "American Idol" got during its premiere in January.

Simon's new show averaged an 8.7 rating, while the tenth season premiere of "Idol" pulled in a 16.4 -- and in last night's head-to-head ... "Modern Family" and "Criminal Minds" won out.

Simon called in to TMZ Live yesterday -- telling us, he desperately wanted to beat out his alma mater in the ratings department ... but based on last night's performance, that's gonna be an uphill battle.

To be fair -- the first ever episode of "American Idol" only scored a 6.1 in 2002 ... and has since had years to build a loyal audience. Then again, singing competitions were new back then.

0922_factor_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

CC

In a word the show was boring. Family turned it off at about the 45 minute mark. Normally either the really good or really bad acts are entertaining, not in this case. There is also no chemistry across the judges. Definately a work in progress that I won't be watching.

PJ in Texas

I felt like I was watching American Idol just in a different format. Was really unimpressed with the set up and the talent.

Jason

My family and I started to watch but after they allowed ome guy to expose himself on national TV we decided this show was not for us. They allowed the guy to stay on the stage and could have not aired the footage but they must had thought it was good TV and if they think that then I'd rather watch Modern Family

Don Pedro

When Simon decided Paula Abdrool would draw a larger audience....he certainly did not count anybody that we know....No X factor for us.

Horsesnsunsets

Not very exciting, I think it's great that they have all those sponsors, but there were far too many commercials.

lalaland

I couldn't care less if this show flops or not. But isn't comparing a this that was up against all premier episodes of the season on the other majors to AI premiering in, what, January a little ridiculous? It's the proverbial apples and oranges, two completely different things.

TXLady

I was so disappointed last night! I have waited anxiously for this show to begin and it was a huge letdown. I was expecting so much more than what was delivered and I can only hope it gets better.... SOON! I'm also very confused about some of the acts that the judges RAVED about because my ears heard nothing special. Simon, I believe American Idol will die a slow death without you, but this new show may never be born if something doesn't change immediately! Where is the TALENT??

northern gypsy

how about saturation of "reality" shows caused the dismal rating???
it will be his demise...starting to believe his own hype !!!

John_Dunkel

That's what you get when you are ****y, arrogant, overconfident and delusional. You get a reality check. Simon better save up. You"re yesterdays news. See you on TMZ in 15 years in the "Where are they now" section. Bye Bye!

Sandra

Not impressed and preferred Cole as a judge rather than the boring Nicloe !! Dare I suggest this was a big mistake on Simon's part !!

Rocco

To be fair, it was absolutely WRETCHED !

Ugly man, can't write, can't sing, exposes himself and makes women throw up ? Thanks, I'll pass. And maybe invest in a damn buzzer!

Bonnie

A big fat yawn. Changed channel to watch the funny Modern Family.

bluzzone

I think there are too many singing competitions.The Voice seems to be very similar to it, minus the huge live crowds. The X factor appears to have ripped it off although it has been around longer.

Machelle

I thought it was good!
Don't forget what the point
of the show is, give it a chance!
It was nice seeing Simon and Paula together again.

Bubbles The Chimp

I have seen X-Factor before in Europe. It is nothing like Idol... Especially with judges choosing the acts. Simon always chooses crappy acts he is used to signing... Like Opera types or crooners or over-hyped R&B types because he likes black girls.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments