'Mother of Hip-Hop'

Sylvia Robinson -- Dead at 75

9/29/2011 6:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sylvia Robinson
Sylvia Robinson -- who produced the first mainstream hip-hop hit "Rapper's Delight" -- died this morning of congestive heart failure.

Robinson is widely regarded as the "Mother of Hip-Hop" -- producing groundbreaking hits “The Message” by Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five ... and "Rapper's Delight" with the Sugar Hill Gang.

0929_RAPPERS_DELIGHT_AUDIO_LAUNCH

Robinson also had success as a recording artist -- singing the hits "Pillow Talk" and "Love is Strange".

She was 75.

anon.

R.I.P.

SoCalGirl

And I still have the vinyl album and sleeve......

R.I.P.

wasted days and wasted nights

Sad news, my condolences to her family. Pillow Talk was a favorite song of mine when I was a kid listening to KFRC and KYA and K-101 and all the hits on the radio in San Francisco in the early Seventies. And Love is Strange was another memorable hit--"C'mere, lover boy!" Sylvia was a foxy kitty who knew how to purr.

THIN LIZZY

Her record label launched rap. RIP. Sucks that rap turned into crap 15 years ago.

Bec

I thought that picture was J. Lo

fstblk

R.I.P. Sylvia Pillow Talk was the best.

karen dapello

@wasted days and wasted nights: Yep, KFRC and KYA had big rotation on Pillow Talk - now that was one sexy song. RIP Ms. Robinson.

XpLzT Xpl0rAtioN

theres about a million BETTER copies and versions of the song and its sequals on youtube and all over the net you could have used and showed alot more respect from.

tee

she sure looked good for 75

Trevis Miho

R.I.P.

JB

Loved Pillow Talk. RIP, Sylvia

jxtr

I just listened to "Pillow Talk" and "Love Is Strange", those were great songs. "Pillow Talk" is a sexy song. "Love Is Strange" is a cute song and it reminds me of those beach movies.

Jensen Lee

Sad news. Mickey & Sylvia’s 1957 hit “Love Is Strange” featured innovative techniques like multi-tracking to enhance Mickey Baker’s guitar riffs; the production was so inventive it would influence artists like Jimi Hendrix. Rockaeology at http://bit.ly/r4qKkt tells how Baker, 11 years Sylvia Robinson’s senior, came up with the idea for a duo following the success of Les Paul and Mary Ford. On stage the pair dressed elegantly; they both played guitars as they teased each other in song.

Sincerity

I send my most sincere condolences out to her loved ones. Not all artists have the versatility to innovate both on stage and behind the scenes. May Mrs. Robinson rest in peace. Many younger Rap/Hip Hop artists are certainly indebted to her. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!!!

Icebaby... is back dude

Such a shame what hip hop turned into. RIP her and good music of all genres.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments